Best car new/used under 15k USD

It wont be as fast though, it wont look as good (imo) and its going to be slightly more boring imo) i have had experience with the Maxima and i can tell you its a very good car, and the mileage isnt to terrible.

Oh come on, how is the Mini boring? Give it a chip, throw out the back seats, new exhaust, new tires and its a roadgoing go-cart.

Screw the Maxima; What you want is a 2005+ Nissan Altima 3.5 SE (250hp). It's faster, more fuel efficient, cheaper to maintain, bigger, and slightly better looking (IMO). Or, if you want, you can get a 2.5 which is still pretty brisk (175hp), more fuel efficient, and cheaper. The Altima is almost a perfect car (that's why I'm planning to get an 05 3.5SE.) It's fast, cheap, big , and safe. 2005 3.5 SEs can range from around 12000-16000, and the 2.5 is around 11000-15000.

Last edited:
Oh come on, how is the Mini boring? Give it a chip, throw out the back seats, new exhaust, new tires and its a roadgoing go-cart.

I was talking about a Camry/Accord lol

A mini would be fun as hell

Screw the Maxima; What you want is a 2005+ Nissan Altima 3.5 SE (250hp). It's faster, more fuel efficient, cheaper to maintain, bigger, and slightly better looking (IMO). Or, if you want, you can get a 2.5 which is still pretty brisk (175hp), more fuel efficient, and cheaper. The Altima is almost a perfect car (that's why I'm planning to get an 05 3.5SE.) It's fast, cheap, big , and safe. 2005 3.5 SEs can range from around 12000-16000, and the 2.5 is around 11000-15000.

They are decent.

But people swear by the 01-03 Maximas. It was a great year for them and they are nissans flagship car.

Looks are subjective.

225m.jpg

LeftFront.jpg

Personally, if it were me. I'd try and find an SE-R Altima, or just get the Maxima. I love the way the Maxima looks and drives. That year for it is probably one of my favorite cars you can buy thats reasonable.

If your looking for an econ box....toyota corolla. 15k will pretty much get you in low end trim, brand new one. 38mpg(you can get about 42 on the highway). You can get a very nice used scion for that much(any model). I personally wouldn't go with a kia or daewoo....hyundia is getting alot better, but I still wouldn't buy one.
If I was personally looking for a DD I like the late model maxima/altima's.

I wouldnt buy a fiat 500, its gonna be the same as the new mini, cool for a year or two, but after that you just get laughed at for having a "gay" car.

This coming from a guy with a camry in his sig??? :lol:

I had a 2004 MINI Cooper S and it was a blast to drive. The most fun car I have ever driven for everyday use and I have driven both a F430 and a 575M. :p

The problem is buying used MINIs is stupid. They don't depreciate enough so you pay way, way too much money for them. I sold my Cooper S for only 4,000 dollar less then I paid for it including taxes two years and 30.000 miles later. I don't think there is any other car in the US market that has that kind of resale value.

The Fit is a good little car I would recommend that. For something a little bigger and quirky you could get a certified SAAB 9-3 sedan for about 15k USD. It would have to be a 2005 or under with the 4 cylinder but you could do it.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/searc...g|X-popular|Z-06019&aff=national&aff=national

100 mile range of where my office is. We are in SAAB country though so tons of them around. Other parts of the US won't have as many.

Used TDi Golf or Jetta can easily be found for $15,000. The diesel engines are solid, and you can get up to 50mpg on the highway.

A lightly, slightly used Mazda3 is very available for $15,000. Out of all the cars in its class, the Mazda3 feels the least like a cheap penalty box.

Stay far away from: Mitsubishi Lancer, Chevrolet Aveo.

This coming from a guy with a camry in his sig??? :lol:

I had a 2004 MINI Cooper S and it was a blast to drive. The most fun car I have ever driven for everyday use and I have driven both a F430 and a 575M. :p

The problem is buying used MINIs is stupid. They don't depreciate enough so you pay way, way too much money for them. I sold my Cooper S for only 4,000 dollar less then I paid for it including taxes two years and 30.000 miles later. I don't think there is any other car in the US market that has that kind of resale value.

The Fit is a good little car I would recommend that. For something a little bigger and quirky you could get a certified SAAB 9-3 sedan for about 15k USD. It would have to be a 2005 or under with the 4 cylinder but you could do it.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/searc...g|X-popular|Z-06019&aff=national&aff=national

100 mile range of where my office is. We are in SAAB country though so tons of them around. Other parts of the US won't have as many.

After talking with some techs who work for the Saab dealership here in MN, they warned me to stay away from that particular style and year on the Saab 9-3. Because essentially, it is this car.
04.chevy.malibu.500.jpg

Which isnt the best car to begin with lol

While the Malibu and 9-3 might be based on the same platform the SAAB gets much stronger materials used in the chassis and sub-frames. The engine is similar but is turbocharged in the SAAB and much more powerful. The Ecotec 4 cylinder is a pretty good engine no matter what form it comes in. The drag race versions of the ecotec make 1,000 horsepower.

If I was going to get a 9-3 I would probably try and find a 2006 or 2007 but they would be just outside of your 15,000 USD price range.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/searc...-2005_|X-popular|Z-19130&sortId=&aff=national

Honda Civic Coupe.
hn2006civiccoupe1768020m.jpg

I'm really starting to like those things

New car? i would completely go for the Honda Fit, from everything i've read its by far the most fun, and all around nicest car that happens to also be reliable and very practical. The back seats are fun to play with as well, so many configurations :).

Used car? How about a 150k mile Honda with a real history:

car_photo_23988_7.jpg

Ive seen otherwise well kept 150k examples go for $12k around here :)

or how about a Italian classic?

GTV6%20web%20front%20side306.jpg

or maybe a speed machine?

r1.jpg

1st year stangs with V6s are also cheap as hell, good condition ones too!
65-coupe-red-mustang-front.JPG

Last edited:
Without knowing preferences, it's hard to judge.

Scions aren't a bad deal if she likes the styling...so do...some don't. My wife has an xB and loves it -- and it's an immensely practical vehicle.

On the sportier side, you might be able to find a two year old Cobalt SS for very close to the money you're talking about.

That said, the new Yaris is one heck of a car if a little on the "white good" side.

I've also seen some base Ford Fusions with the 4 cylinder for not much more with all the rebates.

Steve

New car? i would completely go for the Honda Fit, from everything i've read its by far the most fun, and all around nicest car that happens to also be reliable and very practical. The back seats are fun to play with as well, so many configurations :).

Used car? How about a 150k mile Honda with a real history:

car_photo_23988_7.jpg

Ive seen otherwise well kept 150k examples go for $12k around here :)

or how about a Italian classic?

GTV6%20web%20front%20side306.jpg

or maybe a speed machine?

r1.jpg

1st year stangs with V6s are also cheap as hell, good condition ones too!
65-coupe-red-mustang-front.JPG

15k will buy you a very nice early V8 car!

But a mustang for 15k...I'll go with one of these...
03mach.jpg

Take it from me, they are awesome.

Also, do not forget about a C5 corvette, a high mileage car can easily be had for less than 15k, and a six speed equipped model can easily touch 30mpg. Actually, a friend of mine got a decent Z06 for a touch over 15k, and that right there is an unbeatable bargain!

you can get a Mach1 for 15k? Thats not bad at all! Out of all the square slit-eye mustangs that has to be my favorite

you can get a Mach1 for 15k? Thats not bad at all! Out of all the square slit-eye mustangs that has to be my favorite

If you looked hard enough, you could probably get a Terminator for 15k. Although it would have to be a higher mileage car. So I would get a Mach!

Didn't the Mach1 come with the same DOHC V8 found in earlier SVT Cobra models?

If you looked hard enough, you could probably get a Terminator for 15k. Although it would have to be a higher mileage car. So I would get a Mach!

It'd have to be a rebuilt car or something with 200k on it. The 03-04 cobra's are still hanging around the 20k-22k mark for anything worth having.

Yeah the mach1's have the aluminum DOHC 4.6L.