The story behind car logos.

Not only that, the Corvette logo has always been two crossed flags -- a checkered finish flag, and a flag with the Chevrolet logo and the fleur de lis, again in honor of racer Louis Chevrolet.

85808_85612_corvette.logo.jpg

And the father of the Corvette, Zora Arkus-Duntoff, was Russian.

Now every time my Chevy buddy makes fun of "those damn Frenchies" I won't be able to hold back my laughter.

now if someone could elaborate on the background of the word Corvette which sounds very french and, as far as I know, is some sort of medium size warship, it would further my ammunition for any chevy maniacs who like to complain about the french... :mrgreen:

Camaro is supposed some be french in some manner as well. I've heard the words "slang dictionary" thrown around.

now if someone could elaborate on the background of the word Corvette which sounds very french and, as far as I know, is some sort of medium size warship, it would further my ammunition for any chevy maniacs who like to complain about the french... :mrgreen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvette

In modern terms, it seems like its a light destroyer.

ok so I?ve learnt a bit about what sort of ship it is, but where do I find proof that it was the baguette-eating, citr?en-driving frenchies that came up with the word itself :D

skoda.jpg

It's an indian chief's headgear (with three feathers) and an arrow

ok so I?ve learnt a bit about what sort of ship it is, but where do I find proof that it was the baguette-eating, citr?en-driving frenchies that came up with the word itself :D
:nod:

www.etymonline.com said:
corvette - 1636, from Fr., "small, fast frigate,"

teh camaro wiki said:
Though the car's name was contrived with no meaning, GM researchers reportedly found the word in a French dictionary as variation of informal speech (slang) for "friend", "chum", or "companion."

I dont care what language the word originated from, Corvette is just a great name for a car.

LOL @ flip flopping!

So you're saying the french are great?

Originally Posted by teh camaro wiki
Though the car's name was contrived with no meaning, GM researchers reportedly found the word in a French dictionary as variation of informal speech (slang) for "friend", "chum", or "companion."

So the Corvette is officially your plastic pal who's fun to be with?

IIRC Pontaic's current badge is supposed to be an arrowhead. The company itself is named for bad ass Indian Chief (or for the city which was named after him). Pontiacs of old used to have an Indian chief on the hood.

BMW
The BMW roundel is a stylised, rotating airscrew - the blue representing the sky. That's right - Bayerische Motoren Werke built military aero engines for the planes that bombed the factories that they now own. It's a funny old world.
not true. bmw themselves also believed this to be the case for the longest time. however, they recently learned that the logo was actually stylized to represent the bavarian flag. a bmw executive said all this on an episode of "ultimate factories" (bmw's spartanburg, sc episode).

As I said above, the colors have nothing to do with the sky, but with the bavarian flag. But the pattern does come from a propeller... the bavarian flag is made up of lots and blue and white diamonds, not squares...

has Corvette have anything to do with the german word Korvette, regarding WW2 submarines?

has Corvette have anything to do with the german word Korvette, regarding WW2 submarines?

No, it's a class of ship. A type of light cruiser/destroyer (and the word's origins are French I think we determined).

I just came across this site while looking through the intraweb for the current 'Guess the Car' game entry.
http://www.cartype.com/page.cfm?id=160.
They have the story behind just about every manufacturers logo, as well as the story behind famous models, and model ranges (such as the BMW M, or Chevy SS). I've only looked around the 'Type' section of the site, and its damn interesting.

I just came across this site while looking through the intraweb for the current 'Guess the Car' game entry.
http://www.cartype.com/page.cfm?id=160.
They have the story behind just about every manufacturers logo, as well as the story behind famous models, and model ranges (such as the BMW M, or Chevy SS). I've only looked around the 'Type' section of the site, and its damn interesting.

:jawdrop:

Wow...epic find. Bookmarked.