What is an 'off license'?

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
I was listening to a radio interview with the guys from Little britain and they were explaining the inspiration for their sketch comedy characters including Vicki pollard who they explain as 'a delinquent girl who can be found on every street corner, off license, or shopping mall'. i have no idea what an off license refers to since we dont use that slang in this country, what is it?

Wikipedia said:
Off-licence (sometimes known as off-sales) is a term used in the United Kingdom and Ireland for a shop licensed to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption off the premises, as opposed to a bar or public house which is licensed for consumption at the point of sale (on-licence). The term also applies to the licence granted to the establishment itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-licence

It's not exactly slang.

But yeah, I'd guess the American version would be a "Liquor store".

It's where Chavs (scum who hassled Clarkson) get people to buy them Buckfast.

ah, theyre british liquor stores, ok.

i forget, but ppl in the UK arent allowed to purchase handguns, correct?

here we have that wonderful 'bad neighborhood' trifecta of the liquor store , gun store, check cashing establishment, all located next door to each other in the same strip mall.

here we have that wonderful 'bad neighborhood' trifecta of the liquor store , gun store, check cashing establishment, all located next door to each other in the same strip mall.

:lol: hehehe, it's so true! Trailer Trash Boulevard...

a gn store and a check cashing establishment in the same plaza? Isn't that kind of like "asking for it"?

those areas are bad news overall. gainfully employed law-abiding ppl usually do not hang around those malls.

So how does it work - cash dole cheque, get booze - drink same, buy gun, rob cheque cashing emporium - repeat?

a gn store and a check cashing establishment in the same plaza? Isn't that kind of like "asking for it"?

Not if the check cashier has his own gun.

Last edited:
So how does it work - cash dole cheque, get booze - drink same, buy gun, rob cheque cashing emporium - repeat?

im sure some criminals/desperate ppl do it in that order...

A typical "quality" off-licence.

bargain_booze.jpg

Ed, do you have many more of these "Ask the British people" questions? It may be time for a new thread, or even a subforum. :p

A typical "quality" off-licence.

bargain_booze.jpg

i can so beat that, however since i am 150miles away from smoggy middlesbrough where i live i cant.

we have a offy called Booze 4 U, and im not jokin, the shop front is just steel shutters and they have a busted hand painted tranny van with booze 4 u written down the side thats driven by what looks like the owners 12 year old son.

kids as young as 10 can be seen buying from there, and all you ever see is some pikey yokel local swaggering out in his rebook classics and burberry cap carrying a blue n white striped carrier bag of the hooligans favourite fizzy piss in a can, carling. its a complete joke. its probably a bad front for a drug smuggling ring.