Some Ariel news

vanMould

Car(s)
Volvo 480ES -88
1107793151.jpg
1107792811.jpg

Autocar said:
Ariel gets back on its bike

The next model to roll out of Ariel's Somerset factory could be a motorbike.

But how should Ariel go about making a bike worthy of the badge that created the Atom track car?

Simon Saunders, owner of Ariel Motor Company, has certain criteria that should be met.

"We don't want to make a faster bike; that's been done. An Ariel bike has to be measurably better in some other way. It could be an electric performance bike, it could be more lightweight, agile and usable, it could even be single cylinder. Nothing is decided yet ? it's open for discussion."

It's not even definite that the project will get the go-ahead, as that decision will be made following the feedback the company gets.

If the bike does go into production, it wouldn't be the first two-wheeler to wear an Ariel badge. The company has been in existence since the late 19th century, and was primarily a motorbike manufacturer until it ceased production in 1967.

These bikes were renowned for being at the forefront of technology, and this is something that Saunders wants to capture in the new bike.

It doesn't matter if you're not a biker; everybody has a say. So why not click on the link below and let us know what you think should define the Ariel motorbike?

Source:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=229482#

Autocar said:
Ariel announces new Atom 3

Ariel?s scorching Atom is getting a new engine and a light makeover aimed at increasing cabin space for a new generation of bigger owners.

Called the Atom 3, Simon Saunders? unique ?30,000 track day creation now features the latest version of Honda?s screaming 2.0-litre Type-R engine, with a new ECU and intakes, a fly-by-wire throttle, a new fuel system and a new twin outlet exhaust. It serves up the same 245bhp max power output as the old engine in normally aspirated form, but slightly more torque lower in the rev range. A 300bhp supercharged model will also be offered, just as it is now.

Saunders says the most noticeable improvement is the added refinement gained from bigger rubber engine mounts, which help ?get rid of the fizzing vibrations that some owners weren?t keen on?.

Clever attention to detail has squeezed 100mm of extra elbow room out of the Atom?s cockpit by changing the angle of the chassis? aluminium cross-bracing tubes. ?We?ve got quite a few over six-foot owners and we wanted to make a bit more interior space for them,? says Saunders.

With the same aim, an Atom 3 buyer will be able to choose between two seat sizes, the bigger one about 25mm wider. Both allow Atom 3 driver and passenger to sit slightly lower in the car than they would in the last one, while new optional clear plastic air deflectors add to the effectiveness of the car?s twin aero bubbles to better shield your head from the onslaught of the wind.

Other technical improvements include a more precise gearchange and standard needle-roller bearings for the Bilstein damper bellcranks. Ten-way adjustable dampers are now optional, in place of five-way adjustment, for an extra ?1250.

The changes are targetted mainly at achieving greater success for the Atom in the USA, where it is made under licence by Brammo Motorsports. It will also be built in China as of next year, by Quingdao Ariel Automotive Ltd.

Source:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Ariel-Atom/228327/

Autocar said:
China goes Atomic

Ariel Motor Co, Somerset-based builder of the Atom, has set up a joint venture in China to make and sell cars there, and potentially to establish the Atom as China?s ?starter? racing car.

A new company, Quingdao Ariel Automotive Ltd, will manufacture cars at a new plant in the east coast city of Quingdao, where Olympic sailing events will be held in the 2008 games. The new company, which already holds 200 orders, aims to complete its first cars, which will be identical to those built in Somerset, by the end of the year.

Ariel founder and MD Simon Saunders says the new lead could eventually lead to the establishment of a proper Ariel test track in China, and believes Ariel could have components like bespoke lights and wheels made by Chinese suppliers.

This is Ariel?s second licensing deal. Over 100 Atoms have been built by a licensee in the US, where demand remains very high. Saunders sees such agreements as a way of satisfying growing demand, while keeping the company small. ?There are things you can do when you?re our size which you can?t when you?re bigger,? he explained.

Source:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Ariel-Atom/226896/

The next model to roll out of Ariel's Somerset factory could be a motorbike.
Uuoooh... :yucky:

a fly-by-wire throttle
Ugh. The whole point of the Atom is that it's a raw and mechanical experience. The throttle should remain by physical cable. What will fly-by-wire mean for heel-toeing?

Ugh. The whole point of the Atom is that it's a raw and mechanical experience. The throttle should remain by physical cable. What will fly-by-wire mean for heel-toeing?
How do you think it will make a difference?

I think that Ariel could make a great bike if they put their minds to it. Looking at their cars, I look forward to see what kind of bike they design. Probably wind up looking like some kind of crazy stripped down streetfighter, and I'd be just fine with that.

fly by wire throttles are fine, theirs NO feedback related to throttle inputs, unless you have some sort of gremlins playing with your butterfly valves or something. What should NEVER be fly-by-wire is steering or brakes, not at least until they can get the feedback to be clearer and quicker then it can be mechanically, which is impossible and stupid.

How do you think it will make a difference?
Often, throttle-by-wire systems will cancel out the throttle when the brake is applied. Although, to be fair, I doubt the Atom would have this restriction.

I'm sorry, but bikes are kinda boring. No offense or anything, they are cool. But Japan already has some of the best ever made, I don't think Ariel has a chance in hell of making any ripples in that pond, no matter what they build. They should just stick to making awesome roadcars with supercar elements. Leave the sportbikes to the Japanese, they do it best anyway.

Although, to be fair, I doubt the Atom would have this restriction.
Exactly :p.

But Japan already has some of the best ever made, I don't think Ariel has a chance in hell of making any ripples in that pond, no matter what they build.
Well it doesn't sound like they want to build some huge-production-run, class leader of a bike. I think a bike designed with the same principles as the Atom would be pretty unique, I hope they pursue it.