'04 Toyota Corolla LE
I am currently looking for a good, cheap digital camera. I found these so far:

Canon Powershot A560 7.1MP for $170
10085796.jpg

Kodak M883 8.0MP for $160
10093018.jpg

Sony Cybershot DSCW35 7.2MP for $170
10085480.jpg

Are these any good? Which one is best? Should I consider any other cameras?

BTW I don't plan on spending more than $200.

Thanks.

Out of those three, the Canon by far.

Kodaks are just generally bad, and although the Sony has a Zeiss lens, all the Sonys I've seen have dire quality pictures.

The only downside of the Canon is the lack of a rechargable lithium battery, but you can just buy a load of Ni-MH rechargable AA batteries for a pretty cheap price.

I would take the Canon, of the three you've chosen. More features for the money, a winner in my books.

Agreed. The old Powershot A75 that i've got has pretty good picture quailty, it's robust and will take stupid amounts of abuse.

Avoid the Kodak. I've heard lots of bad about them.

The Canon is the best:

Every kodak I've used is pretty rudimentary in quality...

And having owned multiple Sony cameras in the past, you'd be making a mistake: in high light they are pretty good, but in low light you have to run the gauntlet in the menus to get a passable picture (the auto sensor pretty much defaults to high ISO's and makes every pic too noisy). Sony used to be good as a point and shoot, but now they aren't that great.

I now use a Canon A640 and am very pleased with the shots it takes.

I just found a Fujifilm S3000 3.2MP 6X OZ lying around in my house, but I don't have the USB cord for it.

FujiFilmS3000.jpg

It also has a FinePix AR-FX3 55mm adapter ring and a 256MB memory card. Should I just buy the cord for it on ebay (~ $10), or spend $170 on the Canon A560 7.1MP 4X OZ?

And how does the S3000 compare with the newer cameras?

Thanks.

Last edited:
This one might be worth a look, although it might exceed your price frame (seen it come down in price recently, though):

3178-002.jpg

Casio Exilim EX-Z1000

Worth googling a few reviews - I use it as my day-to-day runaround camera and it's pretty good for such a small box. Below pics were taken with it:

1000-1.jpg

TT-2007.jpg

1000-2.jpg

1000-3.jpg

Sorry for the bump, but I also found this:

Samsung 8.2MP Digital Camera (L100) for $130.

10100741.jpg

The things I like about it is that it's nice and small, and it has a Li-ion battery (instead of AA batteries that most cameras take).

Should I buy this or are there any other cameras that have similar features (mostly looking for Li-ion battery and a lot of features for the money). I would also like to charge the camera like a cellphone (built-in charger).

Last edited:
If you can stretch your budget by 100$ I would get this without a shadow of a doubt. It won a "shoot out" on the Gadget show and I used one myself a few weeks ago in and it really delivers. I would highly recommend it.

As a Nikon lover, i hate to admit that Canon makes one of the best compact cameras and i wouldnt hesitate to get one or recommend one.

The only compact camera i've owned was a Sony and it sucked, but a few of my friends, my brother and my sister have all had an Ixus and they were all great. My sister had a Powershot and it wasnt that great, but her recent Ixus 960 has been amazing.

I dont know much about the other brands, but i've had good experience with Canon and bad with Sony.

Right now it's basically between these:

Canon Powershot A470 7.1 MP - $133

cmscontroller

Canon Powershot A580 8.0 MP - $160

cmscontroller

Canon Powershot A590IS 8.0 MP - $190

cmscontroller

Fuji Finepix J10 8.2 MP - $137

cmscontroller

Fuji Finepix J50 8.2 MP - $189

cmscontroller

Kodak EasyShare C763 7.1 MP - $95

cmscontroller

Kodak EasyShare C813 8.2 MP - $120

cmscontroller

I've heard good things about the Canons, but they are all powered by AA batteries, while the Fujis and Kodaks are Lithium Ion-powered.

So, which one should I take? I would like lots of features for a decent price.

I like the styling of the Fuji J50 the best, and it's the only one that has 5x optical zoom.

I just found a Fujifilm S3000 3.2MP 6X OZ lying around in my house, but I don't have the USB cord for it.

FujiFilmS3000.jpg

It also has a FinePix AR-FX3 55mm adapter ring and a 256MB memory card. Should I just buy the cord for it on ebay (~ $10), or spend $170 on the Canon A560 7.1MP 4X OZ?

And how does the S3000 compare with the newer cameras?

Thanks.

I have one of those, its ok. If you put it in manual mode and fiddle with the settings it will respond faster.

Canon PowerShot A720IS - $199 - Link

-8 MP
-6X Optical Zoom
-Digic III
-Canon Awesome-ness

41rkZwNOlxL._SS400_.jpg

+ CHDK - Free - Link

-RAW file capture
-Auto-Exposure Bracketing and Timelapse Scripts
-Live Histograms
-Battery Life & Storage Displays
-Extreme Shutter Speeds / ISOs

chdk-userscripts.png

=

Win!

Last edited:
Well, it turns out that I'm going to get the Canon A590 IS because it's on sale for $150 (reg. $200). :D

cmscontroller

I also found out that it comes only with a 32 MB memory cars, which will be almost useless, so any recommendations for memory cards and sizes?

Edit: I just found a Fuji 256 mb xD card from my old S3000. Would it work properly with the A590 IS?

Last edited:
The Canon camera uses an SD card so the Fuji's XD card won't fit. But SD cards are cheap as, I think you can pick up a high speed 8gb sd card for about $55 in Aust. But I think 2gb will be fine. I think in Canon's default settings, 2gb should give you about 700 photos give or take a few.
I think the Canon cameras are great. All my cameras have been Canon and none have broked down on me (knock on wood!).

Well, I finally went out and got my new Canon Powershot A590 IS. :D

It was on sale for $150 (reg. $200) and I got a HP 4GB SDHC Class 4 memory card for an extra $20 (reg. $45). Not bad eh? :D

Anyway I'll be testing it out when I go to Israel in a couple of weeks. :)

10099674.jpg

10100746.jpg

Last edited: