[10x9] Ratings

upyourego

Car(s)
Learning to drive
A slight drop for Top Gear this week but that's probably due to being up against the Royal Variety Performance and from people missing it because it was an hour later - this should make for higher Wednesday repeat figures.

This weeks episode had 6.7 million viewers down from an incredible 7.9 million last week. It had 23.4% shatrre of the audience at that time and reached a peak of 7.3 million at 9.45.

The highest rated show in the timeslot was The Royal Variety Performance with 7.4 million, followed by Cranford and Top Gear on a joint 6.7 million.

Coronation Street was the most watched show of the night with 9.4 million followed by Strictly Come Dancing with 9 million, then Emmerdale with 7.2, Royal Variety with 7.4 and finally Top Gear and Cranford with 6.7.

Top Gear was the most watched show on BBC TWO followed by Match of the Day 2 with 3.2 million.

So:

ON BBC TWO
Top Gear - 6.7 million
Match of the Day Two - 3.2 million
Coast - 2.4 million

IN THE 9-10 TIMESLOT:
Royal Variety Performance - 7.4 million
Cranford - 6.7 million
Top Gear - 6.7 million

Interestingly
Although Top Gear lost out to the Royal Variety Performance it did HEAVILY dent its audience. The RVP started with 8.6 million viewers at 8pm and held its own until 9pm when it dropped to 7 million viewers and gradually kept dropping until 10pm.

By 9.45 more people were watching Top Gear than the RVP (6.5 million compared to 7.3 million for Top Gear).

TG ratings are good and were good for the entire 10th season, but it seems they cannot top thier timeslot, losing to Rugby, Heartbeat, once to Antique Roadshow & now to RVP.

I guess either there's a limit to car-fan audience on Sunday night, or ppl dint this new "more Reviews/less crap" format less appealing...

I mean, Top Gear, they do filming all around the globe, use all the exotic cars, & even do mad stuff like polar/desert specials etc. All of it isn't cheap, i suppose an oridnary show, like Heartbeat spend half as much, filming on a set in some hangar.

Last edited:
Yes but don't forget Top Gear is on BBC TWO - the show only has to get ratings relative to other shows on the network - so with the highest show other than Top Gear getting an average of 3 million a week the BBC will be REALLY pleased with an average of 6.5 million.

Nobody will expect any show on BBC TWO to get higher ratings than anything on BBC One and ITV as these are both seen as the 'big channels'.

Also - ratings aren't 'that' important to the BBC as the show gets funding regardless of how well it does - as long as it gets more than or as much as other shows on BBC Two then it's doing well.

I dont really think ratings mean anything. There are those who are passionate about cars, love top gear to death, wouldnt be able to sleep on sunday night without having seen latest floppy hair of May and for them, ratings dont mean much.

Also - ratings aren't 'that' important to the BBC as the show gets funding regardless of how well it does - as long as it gets more than or as much as other shows on BBC Two then it's doing well.

Although Jeremy mentions this on the show sometimes in a negative way.
I do believe this is a good way to fund a non-commercial station.
This way it gives the opportunity to broadcast programs for a selective audience. Commercial stations will always choose to broadcast the programs for the masses. (which will bring in more money)

Just like in Holland.