Okay, I hate my wireless router -- time for a new one

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Continuing my theme here.

I currently have the old as fuck Linksys BEFW11S4. It's been good to me, but I've been using wireless more lately and want to move onto something more secure than WEP which is a joke I'm told.

Ideal Features

• G support (boo slow B!)
  • Actual security so I don't have to worry about my network
  • Gigabit, but this is a low, low priority, especially if it costs significantly more (I can always get a gigabit switch to make a sub-network)
  • At least 4 wired ports for the PCs in the house

I like Linksys and I've heard good things about the WRT54 or whatever it is that supports what I'm told is awesome custom firmware. I'm so outta the loop though, so I'll leave it to you guys.

If it still works fine,

But it doesn't really as it's WEP.

save money for that monitor. ;-)

I fiddled around with the color settings. It's much more tolerable now. I'd ideally still like to replace it, but I can't afford to now either way.

I'll again show my support for a linksys WRT54G w/ Tomato firmware. Great little combo. The firmware is fantastic, and is very easily configurable. Supports WPA, as well as some other security settings that I don't understand. QoS setup is fantastic, and it has some great charts and graphs to stare at while you fap waiting for torrents to finish on your busted ass DSL ;P

Okay, I hate my __ -- time for a new one.
Okay, I hate my iPod -- time for a new one.
Okay, I hate my lack of a girlfriend -- time for a new one.

If anyone else has some good ones for Viper to start new topics with, I will make sure viper doesn't ban you for mentioning it :D

Man, I missed this thread. I would have cast my vote for the D-Link DGL-4300.

Meets all of your requirements, plus has QoS guarantees/traffic prioritization, etc. The best part about it is the chipset that runs the router itself - with my FIOS connection and heavy BitTorrent use I was literally overwhelming cheaper D-Link and Linksys routers. I had to cap the number of connections in my software because the routers would reboot themselves and/or lose part of their config.

Been rock solid since I bought the 4300. If the Linksys doesnt work out for you, I highly recommend it!!

Okay, I hate my __ -- time for a new one.
Okay, I hate my iPod -- time for a new one.
Okay, I hate my lack of a girlfriend -- time for a new one.

If anyone else has some good ones for Viper to start new topics with, I will make sure viper doesn't ban you for mentioning it :D
Okay, I run a car forum but don't actually drive/own a car/have a license -- time to get going.:lol:

Get a Netgear router, I download/upload about 50GB a month, except a monthly modem and router reset, I have no problem with it. I have the WGR614 v6 btw.

I currently do 150GB a month per way on my current Linksys router. Haven't rebooted it in months. :)

eek!

i've had my WRT54GS v5.1 for about a year and a half to two years now, and it needs replacing. it randomly reboots, which is less than handy when playing LFS. not really sure what to replace it with, and i hope Viper never has the same problem :(

Got it installed today and popped Tomato on it. It's awesome! :D

Wireless is nice and secure and a lot faster too. ^_^

Got it installed today and popped Tomato on it. It's awesome! :D

Wireless is nice and secure and a lot faster too. ^_^
If you're really bored, and it's 2 AM, those bandwidth graphs are fantastic on a laptop while gaming on your main rig....

I'll again show my support for a linksys WRT54G w/ Tomato firmware. Great little combo. The firmware is fantastic, and is very easily configurable. Supports WPA, as well as some other security settings that I don't understand. QoS setup is fantastic, and it has some great charts and graphs to stare at while you fap waiting for torrents to finish on your busted ass DSL ;P

Interesting! Such a thing doesn't exist for D-Link?