Top Gear wiki entry

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
I was just reading the wiki entry on TG... and one line hit my attention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear said:
It is one of the most pirated television shows in the world.

:D:D:D

Guess its based on Clarksons comment in his articles some time back... I think during the week he was referring to lots of American programms had a week off for some reason.
So its safe to say it was the most pirated TV show for a week...

I think during the week he was referring to lots of American programms had a week off for some reason.

Yea... because the writers that make the scripts are on strike.

Yea... because the writers that make the scripts are on strike.

No because they all had started their Winter-break and had basically only one episode in that month, whereas Top Gear had three or so. It was back in December 2005 I think. Let's wait for someone to come up with the corresponding thread..:lol:

Kukelikki there's a real gem in that article you posted....

"The reason for their anger was a review of the company's Mark One Vectra, in which Clarkson remained mute and drummed his fingers on the roof of the car for a full minute." I just gotta say...:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Anyone got a clip of that? It sounds hilarious.

its called November Sweeps. it happens every TV season. thats when the reality shows kick in.

The writer's strike has nothing to do with sweeps. The sweeps are just when television broadcasters collect data on what shows are being watched (in order to compare them to professional companies like Nilson, who are constantly outputting data on television viewership) The writers are striking cos they don't get a cut of DVD sales or money generated by online show-related content. So when ABC or whatever do the replay thing where you can watch the full episode online, they sell advertising on that page, and intermitenly throughout the show, but the writers aren't getting paid their cut of those advertising revenues

Sorry for the late bump but I just read something about it again and would really like to see that segment about that vectra. Any idea where I can watch it.

Sorry for the late bump but I just read something about it again and would really like to see that segment about that vectra. Any idea where I can watch it.

Your best bet is probably to try video requests. I really want to see that one too! :D

Well, the reason that is, is because bbc is apart from the uk available only in a handful of other countries and unlike american shows isn't exported that much. Come on, we even have Heroes here in the middle of nowhere where i live. But i pirate that show, because it's middle of season 1, it has slovenian subs and it's in pan-scan. >_<

It's an epidemic called "Our local TV stations are stupid and think that cheesy game shows, idol-wannabes, backstabbing-survivors, and reality TV is good entertainment"...syndrome.
And they wonder why people 'pirate' TV shows? Sure SBS shows Top Gear, but look at their online TV guide and you'll see they're in 're-run' mode. Nothing from series 10 at all, probably till next year.

The writer's strike has nothing to do with sweeps. The sweeps are just when television broadcasters collect data on what shows are being watched (in order to compare them to professional companies like Nilson, who are constantly outputting data on television viewership) The writers are striking cos they don't get a cut of DVD sales or money generated by online show-related content. So when ABC or whatever do the replay thing where you can watch the full episode online, they sell advertising on that page, and intermitenly throughout the show, but the writers aren't getting paid their cut of those advertising revenues

I'm actually in advertising so I'd like to expand a little bit more on this explanation.

Sweeps is the time in the schedule when advertising rates for the rest of the season are set. As in, more viewers = more the station can charge for ads later on. So, they pull out all the stops and try crazy stunts to drive up ratings as much as possible.

They ditched BBC for us Germans, so now we have to pirate it.

x2. They don't think I'd like to watch it broadcast on a network (preferrably in HD)? Hell if there's anything I'd pay for on iTunes it would be Top Gear.