Cadillac XLR-V: Flat Out

RUU-CHAMA

Car(s)
Mazda6
An article from motortrend.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/travel/112_0801_cadillac_xlr_v_europe/index.html

112_0801_06z+cadillac_xlr_v_europe+side_view.jpg

112_0801_02z+cadillac_xlr_v_europe+rear_view.jpg

112_0801_04z+cadillac_xlr_v_europe+front_view.jpg

112_0801_12z+cadillac_xlr_v_europe+driving_up_the_winding_road.jpg

Is it too much to hope that there are roads like that in Texas that I don't know about? Oh yeah, and the car's nice too.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
Hey, it's Stelvio again!

Anyone who goes to Stelvio and doesn't manage to take jaw-dropping pictures should be banned from being within 50 feet of a camera for the rest of their life.

Having said that, anyone who genuinely goes 'flat out' and 100% down Stelvio must be an utter nutcase. That looks terrifying.

ugly

We don't have a counterpart to Stelvio in Texas (that function is served by Deal's Gap in TN/SC) but we do have some nice curvy roads not too dissimilar. See the Texas Hill Country:

(check out 16)
texas_road_trip.jpg

bandera-map.gif

TX_T_map.jpeg

I think Deal's Gap still has Stelvio beat in terms of turns per mile.

poster2005.jpg

Bikes running The Gap
[youtube]8XxAtOm_syI[/youtube]

NSX Following Ferrari at The Gap
[youtube]aG65w4aCMXE[/youtube]

I always liked the looks, but isn't it just a neutered corvette?

I heard that since people have heard of the Tail of the Dragon, that the road is always packed and is patrolled by cops a lot more than before.

Sort of. The XLR-V has a 4.4L blower 32V DOHC Northstar instead of a Chevy V8, so the engine experience is completely different. The Magneride suspension tuning is also radically different.

Think of it as the G37C to the Corvette's 350Z, and you've got the idea.

Good read. +1

I always liked the looks, but isn't it just a neutered corvette?

Sort of. It's based on the Corvette chassis, but Cadillac used their own Northstar 32v V8 and there own transmission. They also redid the body and interior and gave it a power folding hard top.

It's basically what the Corvette would be like if it tried to be more like a Merc SL.
It's about the same price as a Z06, but slower and less efficient then a base C6.

I heard that since people have heard of the Tail of the Dragon, that the road is always packed and is patrolled by cops a lot more than before.

The MINI Club I used to belong too down in Virginia did an annual trip down to deals gap for a dragon run in association with North American Motoring. I never went as I was always working the weekends they did the trip but it was a ton of fun a few years ago. Now there are so many cops on that road now it is not even funny and they will pull you over for almost any reason at all.

Well, now that Top Gear's "outed" Stelvio, expect the same thing to happen there. :p

I used to absolutely love the XLR a year or so ago. There was always one or two down at our local dealer so every time we went down for maintenance on the Escalade (which was QUITE often) I'd sit in one of them and play round with it. That when I truly started to not like it. I was so turned off by the quality of everything. Once I started hating the looks, I knew it was over.

looks like a blocky SLK. :|

that road looks awesome to drive on, certainly not flat-out, that'd be plain scary.

I'm just about to fire up the supercharged V-8 when I see the cop striding toward us. Uh-oh, here comes the lecture. I roll down the window. The cop reaches into his pocket, pulls out a packet of cigarettes, and eyes the Michigan-plated Caddy, the brash Yank on a European vacation. Suddenly, he grins: "Now, I must say this: Gentlemen, start your engines!" Then he throws back his head, and roars with laughter. A German traffic cop with a sense of humor. Now I've seen everything.

:lol:

a nice read with good pics. And I find it funny how you can "cruise" comfortably at 2800 rpm at 135mph with it hehe. Speed limits really should change at least slightly with time and technological progress.

Cool car. Would i get one over a Vette? No.