First look: 2009 Chevrolet Camaro prototype

Both Camaro's seem to have dual exhaust. Of course, you can get dual exhaust on a S2000 and the STi Impreza, so that doesn't mean anything.

Still, a V6 Mustang convertible? I would hope they learn nothing from that car, except what to avoid.

Still, a V6 Mustang convertible? I would hope they learn nothing from that car, except what to avoid.

Cheap fun? A RWD coupe with a manual and space in the back for people with a price tag of $20K doesn't sound too bad.

Cheap fun? A RWD coupe with a manual and space in the back for people with a price tag of $20K doesn't sound too bad.

Well, sure. But the Camaro is going to be more upmarket then the Mustang, as well as, have IRS. So it won't be as cheap as the Mustang, but hopefully much more fun.

Well, sure. But the Camaro is going to be more upmarket then the Mustang, as well as, have IRS. So it won't be as cheap as the Mustang, but hopefully much more fun.

Up market? That is just dumb to try and do. Make it a better car? Sure. To go up market with it is stupid as it has always been, and always will be, compared to the Mustang.

Though GM should be doing comparisons with a BMW 6 series or uhhh... who else makes a RWD "sports" car of similar size to test against?

Up market? That is just dumb to try and do. Make it a better car? Sure. To go up market with it is stupid as it has always been, and always will be, compared to the Mustang.

Though GM should be doing comparisons with a BMW 6 series or uhhh... who else makes a RWD "sports" car of similar size to test against?

A Malibu is more up-market then a current Mustang. The Camaro will be a pretty nice car, as far as fit&finish and interior go. With IRS and some potent V6 motors in GM's stable, the Camaro should be very nice, even in base model form. I don't think GM is going to try and challenge Ford in sales. The Mustang has always out-sold the Camaro and that's probably not going to change any time soon. The Camaro will probably be a closer match, along with the Dodge Challenger, with cars like the BMW M3. But that might alittle optimistic.

The Camaro will be a pretty nice car, as far as fit&finish and interior go. With IRS and some potent V6 motors in GM's stable, the Camaro should be very nice, even in base model form. I don't think GM is going to try and challenge Ford in sales. The Mustang has always out-sold the Camaro and that's probably not going to change any time soon. The Camaro will probably be a closer match, along with the Dodge Challenger, with cars like the BMW M3. But that might alittle optimistic.

Where did you hear that they where moving the Camaro upmarket? I really fail to see the logic behind a move like that. I don't think you're being "optimistic" about them being M3 competitors (that would imply that the M3 will be a better car :p ); they have to price the Camaro competitively with the Mustang and Challenger. The Mustang is not invincible, if they can offer a better car for the same price then they're going to steal a lot of sales from Ford.

Where did you hear that they where moving the Camaro upmarket? I really fail to see the logic behind a move like that.

I don't mean up-market like GM is going to make it a luxury 2+2 or something.
I'm just saying it will be much nicer then the Mustang and it will cost more.

you gotta remember the base C6 comes in at around 40K so they dont have a whole lot of room to grow

you gotta remember the base C6 comes in at around 40K so they dont have a whole lot of room to grow

They now start at $46k for the 2008 C6 LS3. That's with 430-436hp. Options like the Z51 pack can easily push that into the $50k range.

I'm going to guess that the Camaro will start at around $23-25k for the V6 and $27-29k for the V8. They'll probably come out with SS model down the line with a LS7, of some other motor producing at least 500hp, but I don't see that going for more then $40k. Dodge already announced pricing on their first year limited production Challenger SRT8 (which also has IRS) and they're going for less then $40k.

2009%20Chevrolet%20Camaro.jpg

O SNAP ITS AWESOME

Oh shit!!! Sweet.

They now start at $46k for the 2008 C6 LS3. That's with 430-436hp. Options like the Z51 pack can easily push that into the $50k range.

I'm going to guess that the Camaro will start at around $23-25k for the V6 and $27-29k for the V8. They'll probably come out with SS model down the line with a LS7, of some other motor producing at least 500hp, but I don't see that going for more then $40k. Dodge already announced pricing on their first year limited production Challenger SRT8 (which also has IRS) and they're going for less then $40k.

Where the hell are you getting your pricing from? Because you're rediculously off the mark. :rolleyes:

Base price for the Camaro was announced at starting at 21K. To put that into perspective the base Mustang starts at 17k, And a fully loaded Mustang GT is around 32-33k or 33-35 for the Cov.

We can't see the underside of the car so they could've put the IRS in it, isn't that hard to convert a Explorer IRS for the Stang' so it's possible it has IRS in it...

No matter how much better the Camaro is, sales is the bottem line... If it doesn't sell in good numbers, it's going bye-bye... that's why the Camaro was axed in the first place.

Where the hell are you getting your pricing from? Because you're rediculously off the mark. :rolleyes:

Base price for the Camaro was announced at starting at 21K. To put that into perspective the base Mustang starts at 17k, And a fully loaded Mustang GT is around 32-33k or 33-35 for the Cov.
I'm just guessing at the prices. I haven't heard anything concrete either way. And the Mustang V6 coupe 5spd starts at $19,250 officially. I don't care about whatever rebates Ford is using to push sales. And I'm only talking about base MSRP, I don't know what options the Camaro will have nor how expensive it could be fully loaded.

We can't see the underside of the car so they could've put the IRS in it, isn't that hard to convert a Explorer IRS for the Stang' so it's possible it has IRS in it...
It would be nice if they did. Ford did a great job making the solid rear handle well, but it's still not as good as it could be. The spyshots I've seen of the next Mustang look like a face lift, rather then a new model. At least the doors look the same. Is that supposed to be the all new Mustang?

No matter how much better the Camaro is, sales is the bottem line... If it doesn't sell in good numbers, it's going bye-bye... that's why the Camaro was axed in the first place.
Sure, every car needs sales to justify it's production, but the Camaro never sold as well as the Mustang and I don't think GM is looking to top that. The Camaro looks to have higher aspirations then that this time around. Sales alone don't make a car "great" or not.

Last edited:
It's supposed to be based on the Italian Concept mustang. I don't know what's under the rear end, but it'd be beyond awsome if they did finally put a IRS in it.

GM is definitely a different company than it was in 2002, so they'll marked the Camaro accordingly to what the people will want. But by that time the Mustang will be redesigned and will go up in price (yet again...)

I'll second the "oh snap!" - it looks glorious. But what the hell is taking them so long.

I'm rather interested in the v6 models. If they come out with a sub 350hp v8 model, I'd be tempted to pick up a 2nd hand v6 in a few years, grab the Direct Injectected 300hp V6 from the Cadillac CTS, put on headers, tune the ecu, get some wilder cams, and have a lighter, well balanced Camaro.

Hell I still may do that with an older model.

A Malibu is more up-market then a current Mustang. The Camaro will be a pretty nice car, as far as fit&finish and interior go. With IRS and some potent V6 motors in GM's stable, the Camaro should be very nice, even in base model form. I don't think GM is going to try and challenge Ford in sales. The Mustang has always out-sold the Camaro and that's probably not going to change any time soon. The Camaro will probably be a closer match, along with the Dodge Challenger, with cars like the BMW M3. But that might alittle optimistic.

GM has already said, with the way they are building the camaro, it needs to move 100k units. Over exactly what time frame, I can't recall.

Ford already said the convert the current chassis to IRS would be cost prohibitive. If it could have been done, they would have put it on the $50k Shelby GT-500.

Last edited: