Can a Eurovan round the N?rburgring in less than 10 min?

mathematica

Car(s)
New Beetle, GTI Mk5
In Series 8 Episode 8, Clarkson said that Volkswagen T30 TDI 174 Sportline is the fastest van money can buy.

In Series 6 Episode 7, Sabine Schmitz failed to do a lap of the infamous track in a Transit van in under 10 minutes. So here is my question: Can a Eurovan round the N?rburgring in less than 10 min? In standard form? Or in light-weight form (as Sabine did)? Or now there is a faster van available?

There's only one way to find out. :twisted:

I bet that light weight (spare wheel, seats and maybe something else taken off) VW Transporter can get around Nurburgring in under 10 min.

I don't remember, but Transit's time was about 10:12, so 12 second should be not a problem.

I don't remember, but Transit's time was about 10:12, so 12 second should be not a problem.

Exactly. If an f'ing Transit can nearly do it, an actual sports van should be able to do it no problem.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Nurburgring lap times are very much down to a decent driver. Sabine could probably do that in under 10 minutes, especially since a bog-standard (albeit slightly lightened) Transit could do it in 10.12.

Er has someone mentioned this before. ...

Yes I am sure it can do it - well with the great Sabine Driving of course.

Pft! The Stig could set a new Nurburgring lap record in an unaltered Transit if they'd let him have a go in it. :stig:

I don't think it was the best engine they had in the Transit on Top Gear, so a Transit itself could almost certainly do it, nevermind a sport van.

Pft! The Stig could set a new Nurburgring lap record in an unaltered Transit if they'd let him have a go in it. :stig:
I'm sure Sabine is a lot, lot faster around the Ring than the Stig. Comes down to experience and such.

vivaro1.jpg

;)

On another note, I've heard that Sabine set a <10 min time in a Caravelle with some sort of relation to the Top Gear challenge, but that the result was never published.

Rubbish! Experience is only necessary for mere mortals, a group which the Stig clearly isn't a member of. :p

How fast would Sabine have drove without all the camera/sound equipment and the Hamster inside? I'd imagine the Honda Odssey and Nissan Quest could beat the 10 minute mark fairly easily. They both handle quite well for their size.

What about that racing transit that ford made using the racing engine from there WRC Focus. That would be quick around the ring.

How fast would Sabine have drove without all the camera/sound equipment and the Hamster inside?

she did, she kicked hammond out, stripped out the seats and spare tyre etc. and duct-taped the panel gaps to make it more aerodynamic.

I'd imagine the Honda Odssey and Nissan Quest could beat the 10 minute mark fairly easily. They both handle quite well for their size.

pffft. screw teh odssey and the crappy nissan. what you need is the renault espace f1 van. That will definetely be a sub 10min lap.

Forget all those pansy-ass vans you've been talking about, what you really need is this beastie:
a-team_van_high_res.jpg

In Series 8 Episode 8, Clarkson said that Volkswagen T30 TDI 174 Sportline is the fastest van money can buy.

It isn't, but we all love Clarkson right? :mrgreen: I think Brabus put their 6.1 V8 into the Viano and that really is the fastest van. 8) You can argue about it being a production car or not, but it would easily crack the 10mins..https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/12/15/7041020.001.1L.jpg

Forget all those pansy-ass vans you've been talking about, what you really need is this beastie:
a-team_van_high_res.jpg

The A-Team Van will easily flip over in the first turn.... it's worse than driving a loan mower round the 'ring :lol:

Speaking of flipping over, Hamster's Bedford Rascal should set a laptime XD

It isn't, but we all love Clarkson right? :mrgreen: I think Brabus put their 6.1 V8 into the Viano and that really is the fastest van. 8) You can argue about it being a production car or not, but it would easily crack the 10mins..

I raise you a 911 powered Volkswagon:

[insert link to thread I can't find here]

Simply put, it's a mid-engined Porsche 911 powered Volkswagon van and there's video of it easily passing Aston Martins and stuff on the track. :lol: