How come Porsche cars aren't subjected to eletronic speed limiting?

First thing is there is a few cars that are stock 200mph ready, like I said the Y-Rated tires are NOT RATED FOR 200MPH. They are actually rated for 186MPH. There is (Y)-Rated tires that have been rated for 186+mph, and, not even AMG ship with those as OE, you have to go after market and buy them.

And to say 200mph is safe is just stupid and dumb. You have to take in to consideration PSI in the tire, as the heat its going to generate and could cause your pressure to spike.
There might be a bunch of video on youtube but it does not mean people do it every day and its normal and safe. If i wanted to make a 200mph, yeah its do able if i get my car prep'ed but on streets roads in the US, no thanks.

I dont know what tyres the SL65 comes with, but the fact that they can do 200+mph everyday, 365days a year proves that the tyres are capable of doing that kind of speed.

There is nothing seperating from a Ferrari 599 and a M5 hitting 200mph, they both use the road tyres. So accorind to your theory, it must be fucking dangerous to be in an 200mph 599.

If it was dangerous to do 200mph in those tyres (regardless what rate they come in, could be Y or better), BMW/Mercedes/Audi would never take off the limiter for the customer. They must be fucking mental in the head to remove the limiter for the customer if its as dangerous as you say. If the tyres cant handle those kind of speed, dealers will NEVER EVER remove limiter for customers, knowing that they will get sued to bankrupt if some shit happens. And lets not mention all the endless testing and wind tunnel to make the car safe and drivable @ 200mph+ They are called super saloons for a very good reason, to say 200mph is dangerous in an M5/M6/E63 etc is just fucking stupid.

200+ is only dangerous if you are doing it in an modified car, since there are too many unknown variables that could go wrong, but factory stock cars that are capable of cracking 200mph is a totally different story, they've been tested countless of times before it even goes into production. If a bone stock car, straight from the showroom floor, can hit 200mph, then it is completely safe to do so.

so piss off with the comment like
And to say 200mph is safe is just stupid and dumb.
beacuse it is that safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDeMe7SMCYE

this is just some random video of some random oke from a random place doing 200+ in his M5, so what were you saying again???

i know okes that do 200mph+ every sunday morning for their breakfast run, and so far i havnt seen anyone pegged yet.

You have to take in to consideration PSI in the tire,
Tyre pressure my arse, even with an over inflated tyre, 200mph is still achievable, unless you have the tyres pumped up at a riduclous pressure (3.2 bar for example), going flat out is not going to kill you. So let the big boys do the 155mph+ talk, cos it seems like you havnt gone faster than that. Ive driven plenty of Mercs that runs on spare tyres with the wrong tyre pressure, and at no point was i reluctant to put foot and watch the needle climb to the end of gauge. I agree tyre pressure is extremely important to a car, but it does not make the ride dangerous, unless you deliberately over inflate them to a point that you know you shouldnt be doing. Besides, all the correct tyre pressure are allocated on the side of the door panel, back of the fuel cap, and in the owner's manual. It is very hard to go wrong unless you dont know how to read numbers.

Tbe M5 and M6 both handle 200+ fine, if they were not designed to go the fast the gearing would not allow them to go that high and they would be have all the features to make the car steady at that speed

QFT

Last edited:
Why dont you try to hit 200mph in your little 130i, much less i wonder if it will pass 100 .
And then report back to the forum how things turned out.

Also what "fact" do you have that the SL65 will hit 200+mph? Do you know someone that owns ones and drives it every day at 200mph, 365 days a year? You dont even know the tires that ship with it. Merc uses pretty much the same tires on its AMGs and AMG kit which is the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A and they are Y-Rated for 186mph (which I know because I just had to buy a pair of front tires). I notice that tire rack mentions an option of the Pirelli PZero Rosso which have the rear rated (Y) but the front are still Y-rated so you would be limited by them. So again, dont talk about things you dont know.

Also, BWM,Merc, Audi DO NOT TAKE THE LIMITER OFF THE CARS. It depends on the dealer, and if the dealer is willing. A lot of dealers in the states will not comply, and in some cases they will ship the car with raised limiters (like Merc with its AMG-II Kit that will raise it to about 170mph) but I have not heard of any factor option to remove the limiter. If you even get the limiter removed you have to sign a paper work saying you will not hold the dealer and mfg responsible for anything. You can do aftermarket and get the chip removed, get upgraded tires and yes you can hit 200mph, but to safe safe is just dumb. No matter all the engineering and testing that is done, in todays world 200mph is still a speed that is not 100%. You are pushing the limit of your car, and yes its doable and these cars are made for it. But when your pushing the envelope at 200mph its not going to be safe as you are close to the 100% limit.

Now i understand weed does sometimes make things seem like they are going slower and time pass quickly, but i never thought it would make someone think going 200mph is safe. The 200mph club is still a small club of cars, the tech is not fully theree. So go back to playing with your GI Joe's.

Why dont you try to hit 200mph in your little 130i, much less i wonder if it will pass 100 .
And then report back to the forum how things turned out.

Also what "fact" do you have that the SL65 will hit 200+mph? Do you know someone that owns ones and drives it every day at 200mph, 365 days a year? You dont even know the tires that ship with it. Merc uses pretty much the same tires on its AMGs and AMG kit which is the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A and they are Y-Rated for 186mph (which I know because I just had to buy a pair of front tires). I notice that tire rack mentions an option of the Pirelli PZero Rosso which have the rear rated (Y) but the front are still Y-rated so you would be limited by them. So again, dont talk about things you dont know.

Also, BWM,Merc, Audi DO NOT TAKE THE LIMITER OFF THE CARS. It depends on the dealer, and if the dealer is willing. A lot of dealers in the states will not comply, and in some cases they will ship the car with raised limiters (like Merc with its AMG-II Kit that will raise it to about 170mph) but I have not heard of any factor option to remove the limiter. If you even get the limiter removed you have to sign a paper work saying you will not hold the dealer and mfg responsible for anything. You can do aftermarket and get the chip removed, get upgraded tires and yes you can hit 200mph, but to safe safe is just dumb. No matter all the engineering and testing that is done, in todays world 200mph is still a speed that is not 100%. You are pushing the limit of your car, and yes its doable and these cars are made for it. But when your pushing the envelope at 200mph its not going to be safe as you are close to the 100% limit.

Now i understand weed does sometimes make things seem like they are going slower and time pass quickly, but i never thought it would make someone think going 200mph is safe. The 200mph club is still a small club of cars, the tech is not fully theree. So go back to playing with your GI Joe's.

blah blah blah...like i said earlier, i know okes that do breakfast runs, and they hit 200mph every sunday morning before they have their usual breakfast.

And i was just picking the SL65 for an example, i dont know if it can do 200+, but i believe it can with the limiter removed. And stop throwing tyre ratings at me, cos it sounds like you are clutching straws here. 200+ have been done by countless ppl in their BONE STOCK car. Youtube has more than enough evidence.

If you even get the limiter removed you have to sign a paper work saying you will not hold the dealer and mfg responsible for anything. You can do aftermarket and get the chip removed, get upgraded tires and yes you can hit 200mph

and you dont have to sign shit when you remove the limiter, it comes as an option with no extra cost... okay this is debatable since all dealers have different rules and what not.

but......ROFLMFAO, a M5 in bone stock form is perfectly capable of doing 200mph, i dont know what you are on about getting upgraded tyres, because factory tyres are good for 200mph, or they will never equip that tyre on in the first place.

BTW, PZero Rosso is equipped on the Gallardo as well, and that can do 195mph, so that must be scary and dangerous as well..... maybe all the Lambo drivers should phone you in advance before they go out and do a top speed run.

http://www.lambocars.com/gal/gallsps.htm

yawn.. all this meaningless debate is stupid, im done with arguing with you. especially with the weed comment, it shows that you dont know shit, James Hunt used to smoke marijuana, and he happened to be 1976's F1 champion.

Last edited:
I dont know what tyres the SL65 comes with, but the fact that they can do 200+mph everyday, 365days a year proves that the tyres are capable of doing that kind of speed.
nonsense... you would definitely need better tires if you were actually planning to do this every day... this would also imply that you have loads of money even though you don?t have a job, so life would be quite good anyway...

so piss off with the comment like beacuse it is that safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDeMe7SMCYE

this is just some random video of some random oke from a random place doing 200+ in his M5, so what were you saying again???

for fucks sake, stop posting youtube videos of people filming themselves going really fast... it?s idiots like this why the 250 km/h limit exists in the first place...

i know okes that do 200mph+ every sunday morning for their breakfast run, and so far i havnt seen anyone pegged yet.
oh really? I?d love to meet them... I live in germany, and quite a few of my friends have cars that are capable of going 250+, some of which are even race car drivers, yet I don?t know a single one who manages to go anywhere above 200 on a regular basis... this is europe for fucks sake, there is lots of traffic, especially around the time where people go to work on their "breakfast run" as you say...

Tyre pressure my arse, even with an over inflated tyre, 200mph is still achievable, unless you have the tyres pumped up at a riduclous pressure (3.2 bar for example), going flat out is not going to kill you. So let the big boys do the 155mph+ talk, cos it seems like you havnt gone faster than that.
do you know ANYTHING about cars??? if you (or the big boys) want to do hardcore shit to regular road tires like track driving or going really fast, you HAVE to overinflate the tire a bit, cause otherwise it gets too hot...

To say that 200 mph is perfectly safe is so utterly stupid I can?t even begin to explain why you?re wrong, and the cars capabilities are gonna be the smallest problem. I?d be much more worried about traffic, and the human being behind the wheel...

Also, BWM,Merc, Audi DO NOT TAKE THE LIMITER OFF THE CARS.
yes they do...

blah blah blah...like i said earlier, i know okes that do breakfast runs, and they hit 200mph every sunday morning before they have their usual breakfast.
again, I really wanna meet these people, they seem interesting...

and you dont have to sign shit when you remove the limiter, it comes as an option with no extra cost...
right... well you?re completely wrong...

yawn.. all this meaningless debate is stupid, im done with arguing with you. especially with the weed comment, it shows that you dont know shit, James Hunt used to smoke marijuana, and he happened to be 1976's F1 champion.

you really crack me up :lol:

the current F1 champion is also known to drink quite a lot on his leisure time, do you think he will get trashed like that anywhere within 2 weeks of a race??? If you think driving around stoned is perfectly safe you have much to learn... trust me, I know wtf I?m talking about...

Last edited:
And beside youtube and some okay, what ever that mean, is that the only proof. I dont take youtube as proof.
As an owner of a Merc (and a Jaguar before) and knowing people that own high performance car there is some that love to push them to there limits and others who take joy in knowing they can. But those that do push it to the limit understand and respect it. Not only is the safety risk but the life of your car is something you have to worry about. When you respect the speed and understand the risk you can limit the danger.
But your someone who has never had the pleasure of owning these cars and maybe see posts of a bunch of rich kids who dont mind writing off a car every week might make you think that hitting the road at 200mph in any car is safe. Like i said, its doable and i dont doubt it, but the way you talk about it like driving 200 is like doing 100 is just dumb. If you ever get to own an M5 or AMG, go and get it delimited and go hit 200mph. I will count the days till you write it off. Its not about the car not handling the speed, but i do wonder about the driver.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuhaib View Post
Also, BWM,Merc, Audi DO NOT TAKE THE LIMITER OFF THE CARS.
yes they do...
Well do you mean the dealers or Mfg? At lest in the US you cant order one as most dealer will say no when you ask. And then after you get the car the dealer again might refuse to remove the limiter. Now outside the US if they will, i dont know.
Also if you actually read my post i said the Pzeor are able to go over 200mph, so if you actually read it might help.

Last edited:
nonsense... you would definitely need better tires if you were actually planning to do this every day... this would also imply that you have loads of money even though you don?t have a job, so life would be quite good anyway...

Erm... going flat out has absolutely nothing to do with my financial income, how i pay for my cars is none of your business.

for fucks sake, stop posting youtube videos of people filming themselves going really fast... it?s idiots like this why the 250 km/h limit exists in the first place...

then dont click on the link, stop bitching like a 12yr old. I was just pulling random videos from youtube to show Zuhaib that 200mph can be achieved in a stock car, provided that the road condition is ideal. Countless of people have done that, and if its that dangerous, im sure ppl will think twice before flooring it.

oh really? I?d love to meet them... I live in germany, and quite a few of my friends have cars that are capable of going 250+, some of which are even race car drivers, yet I don?t know a single one who manages to go anywhere above 200 on a regular basis... this is europe for fucks sake, there is lots of traffic, especially around the time where people go to work on their "breakfast run" as you say...

im talking about SA, not Europe, not USA, not Germany. I couldnt careless how other ppl drive in their country. Again, im pointing out that there are ppl who take advantage of the motorway and enjoy doing a small top speed run every sunday morning.

do you know ANYTHING about cars??? if you (or the big boys) want to do hardcore shit to regular road tires like track driving or going really fast, you HAVE to overinflate the tire a bit, cause otherwise it gets too hot...

Please dont tell me something that i already know. I said it is only dangerous when you over inflate them to a point where its close to 3.x bar, when the manual recommends 2.0 bar.

To say that 200 mph is perfectly safe is so utterly stupid I can?t even begin to explain why you?re wrong, and the cars capabilities are gonna be the smallest problem. I?d be much more worried about traffic, and the human being behind the wheel...

erm... what traffic at 5:00am?? sorry but ive been living in SA for most of my life, where you can drive flat out at 5 in the morning. It is that safe, when you practically have the whole motorway to yourself, our population density is ranked 136th in the whole world, meaning that we have a massive country with fuck all people.

again, I really wanna meet these people, they seem interesting...

come to SA and i will introduce you to them, not everyone hit 200mph, but they do drive flat out every sunday morning, and some ppl do get a chance to hit 200, breakfast runs are done early in the morning where there are min traffic. The whole point of breakfast run is to drive flat out and enjoy the open space and the freedom behind the wheel, no one will ever prepare to wake up 4 in the morning, knowing that he/she will get stuck behind traffic.

the current F1 champion is also known to drink quite a lot on his leisure time, do you think he will get trashed like that anywhere within 2 weeks of a race??? If you think driving around stoned is perfectly safe you have much to learn... trust me, I know wtf I?m talking about...

i never said he smoked before races did i? so stop putting words in my mouth. and smoking weed is something that i enjoy doing, its a hobby, this does not mean that i get stoned and go out and drive around like a lunatic.

I never said driving around stoned is perfectly safe, you are the one who said it.

As an owner of a Merc (and a Jaguar before) and knowing people that own high performance car there is some that love to push them to there limits and others who take joy in knowing they can.

i understand the consequences and the danger behind top speed run, because its what i do everytime i get a chance, i drive flat out whenever i get a chance. But you have absolutely no idea what SA's road condition is like, so dont even start. Of course i know you cant do 200 anywhere you go, but judging from what you've said, you made it sound like reaching 200+ is some sort of extremely dangerous task, where in reality its not. Many people have done it, and majority of them are still alive.

IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU DO IT

Its safe for me to push my cars to the limit, same goes with my mates, and the same with the okes that do breakfast run, not to mention that many of them are bikers. im sure they've already acknowledge the consequence and the danger behind it, since bikes are 10000000x more dangerous than cars. But even so, everyone is comfortable doing it on a regular basis, because we all know what the road condition is like and how safe it is to do so.

Surely after a millionth breakfast run, you should know your car's limit and how safe its to floor it.

But your someone who has never had the pleasure of owning these cars and maybe see posts of a bunch of rich kids who dont mind writing off a car every week might make you think that hitting the road at 200mph in any car is safe.

no, in fact most of the guys that i know from the runs have wife and kids, one of them is my best friend's dad and he works for Ducati SA, and they dont go on forums or BBS since they are too old and too busy to post. I dont know any of the "rich kids" that you are on about, most of them are wealthy businessmen or bikers. And while ive never had the pleasure of owning a 180+ car, i know the local highway so well to a point that i know its 100% to go hit top speed. And unforunately its a pleasure that you will never encounter of being able to drive on an empty highway for miles after miles.

Just because doing 200+ is dangerous around where you live, doesnt mean its dangerous in other countries. And if that cant sink into your head, then there is no point in furthur discussion on this matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: lip
Can we please keep this conversation to the subject and not turn it into a flaming war.

High performance sports cars may be capable of driving at 160+mph. The very large majority of drivers are not. I would say that there would be a couple of people on this forum (if anyone) capable of driving at those sort of speeds. Hans Joachim Stuck can do it safely because he is one of the greatest touring car drivers in the world.

Yes all those youtube heroes put up their videos and they survived, it will catch up with them in the end though. Patch of water, strong crosswind, tyre blow out etc. etc.

Can we please keep this conversation to the subject and not turn it into a flaming war.
yes please...

High performance sports cars may be capable of driving at 160+mph. The very large majority of drivers are not. I would say that there would be a couple of people on this forum (if anyone) capable of driving at those sort of speeds. Hans Joachim Stuck can do it safely because he is one of the greatest touring car drivers in the world.

Yes all those youtube heroes put up their videos and they survived, it will catch up with them in the end though. Patch of water, strong crosswind, tyre blow out etc. etc.

exactly...

I?m not even gonna go into anymore of the big huge posts... too exhausting...

Look, I haven't had the limiter removed from my E55 yet, and although it annoys me to know that the reality is that its a fine car for the speeds that I'll realistically be doing. I've taken the big AMG to track days before, and to be honest I didn't really hit the limiter that many times.

I suspect that when I get around to removing the limiter, I'll probably want to touch up the brakes, tyres and suspension first before trying to go for a 180mph run. The standard brakes were pretty lacking if I'm honest (something that I also notice holds true for BMW M cars).