Non-american forum ppl: what's your stereotype american accent?

Non-american forum ppl: what's your stereotype american accent?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still learning english, but I just passed the important moment when I finally can think in the new language and not have to translate every sentence first in my brain.

But my accent still is as heavy as the faults and wrongs in my writings. I sound like a young Schwarzenegger. And If I try to speak "real american" english without my swiss/german accent, I sound like Ross Perot. :D

Greetings, lip

Last edited:
Still learning english, but I just passed the important moment when I finally can think in the new language and not have to translate every sentence first in my brain.

But my accent still is as heavy as the faults and wrongs in my writings. I sound like a young Schwarzenegger. And If I try to speak "real american" english without my swiss/german accent, I sound like Ross Perot. :D

Greetings, lip

"real american" english isn't english at all :rolleyes:

:p

"real american" english isn't english at all :rolleyes:

:p

American "English" is a diseased language. Completely and utterly removed from the original language. I think the founders of the language would be rolling around in their graves, if they knew what the septics have done to it.

My family is British and we keep correct English, and boy have I copped some flack for it. You'd be surprised how rude some Americans get when someone doesn't use their version, it's almost as though I'm a terrorist.:rolleyes:

This is the conservative Southern US, though. I'm not sure if other bits of the country are better.

//Sorry for rambling on.. I'll stop now.

I think the founders of the language would be rolling around in their graves, if they knew what the septics have done to it.

i think they would be rolling around in their graves no matter what version of english they hear:p

American "English" is a diseased language. Completely and utterly removed from the original language. I think the founders of the language would be rolling around in their graves, if they knew what the septics have done to it.

Or they'd laugh their asses off seeing some guy from Arkansas trying to talk like them and using their big words. :p

I think the founders of the language would be rolling around in their graves, if they knew what the septics have done to it.

These "founders" you speak of wouldn't understand any modern form of english period. English is really a Hodge-Podge of many other, older (some extinct) languages. Every culture that has ever contributed to the English Language has undoubtedly left their mark. English has never really stopped changing so therefore, any English speaker ("septics" as you have eloquently put it) of any period and place could be charged with "not conserving" the language. The very fact that English changed so much when it arrived in the Americas, just goes to show that the language hasn't stopped doing what it does best: changing. Get used to it. A couple hundred years from now, English will have transformed into something unrecognizeable to us today. Afterall, it was your ancestors penchant for colonialism that that started the whole 'septic ingleesh' disease.

Midwestern United States

Midwestern United States

The accent characteristic of most of the Midwest is considered by many to be "standard" American English. This accent is preferred by many national radio and television broadcasters.

This may have started because many prominent broadcast personalities ? such as Walter Cronkite, Harry Reasoner, Johnny Carson, David Letterman, Tom Brokaw, John Madden, Rush Limbaugh, and Casey Kasem ? came from this region and so created this perception. A November 1998 National Geographic article attributed the high number of telemarketing firms in Omaha to the "neutral accents" of the area's inhabitants. Currently, many Midwestern cities are undergoing the Northern cities vowel shift away from the standard pronunciation of vowels.

300px-Map_of_USA_Midwest.svg.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That post was important enough to resurrect a THREE year old thread? You chose that to be your first post? You aren't really setting yourself up for success around here.

My family is British and we keep correct English, and boy have I copped some flack for it. You'd be surprised how rude some Americans get when someone doesn't use their version, it's almost as though I'm a terrorist.:rolleyes:

This is the conservative Southern US, though. I'm not sure if other bits of the country are better.

//Sorry for rambling on.. I'll stop now.

:lol: You do realize English developed from German much the same way American English has developed from British English? Not to mention English itself is full of "disease": Latin: Labor :B.E (British English)Labour . Latin: Color, B.E: Colour. etc...

That post was important enough to resurrect a THREE year old thread? You chose that to be your first post? You aren't really setting yourself up for success around here.

That's because they're a spammer, so you're right -- they aren't setting themselves up for success around here. :)

Killing this thread. Feel free to start a new (better) one on the matter if you're still interested in the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.