Setting up a wireless network

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DÖNER
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
Hi there guys.
My girlfriend got a laptop for Christmas and it has a built-in wi-fi receiver, so I would like to know what is the best way to make my internet connection available to her. Right now I have a standard (non-router) modem, and I guess I need AT LEAST a router, but what is best: buy a wireless router and plug my PC via ethernet cable, buy a router and a separate acess point or am I not even close? Thanks in advance. :)

In my opinion, getting a WiFi router is the best option. Just make sure not to get the cheapest one you find, my experience with the cheap-o's hasn't been stellar. I've always gotten Linksys and have not had too many problems with them. Just follow the instructions with the router and everything should be pretty straight-forward.

Also, after setting it up (or during the setup) make sure to encrypt the network with at least some security key and change the admin password. No point in allowing neighbors or anyone else within range access to your network. And everyone knows the default passwords...

With the WiFi, she won't be confined to a specific spot for the laptop, and (unless she downloads a lot or plays games) there won't be any real noticeable difference in speed to a physical link (and even then... not too much to be a problem). It's much cheaper and/or easier than a long wire :p

Last edited:
In my opinion, getting a WiFi router is the best option. Just make sure not to get the cheapest one you find, my experience with the cheap-o's hasn't been stellar. I've always gotten Linksys and have not had too many problems with them. Just follow the instructions with the router and everything should be pretty straight-forward.

Also, after setting it up (or during the setup) make sure to encrypt the network with at least some security key and change the admin password. No point in allowing neighbors or anyone else within range access to your network. And everyone knows the default passwords...

With the WiFi, she won't be confined to a specific spot for the laptop, and (unless she downloads a lot or plays games) there won't be any real noticeable difference in speed to a physical link (and even then... not too much to be a problem). It's much cheaper and/or easier than a long wire :p

^^

I just want to emphasize the CHANGE THE DEFAULT ADMIN PASSWORD!
I can't believe the number of times I have been able to get access to a router by using the old admin admin username/password.

$60-$100 Linksys WiFi router gets my vote!

Thanks! :)

Nice! Let's see how much do I have to pay for one of those around here...