first ever car backflip went wrong

Werner

Car(s)
'11 Toyota Aygo; '07 Honda CB600F Hornet
rhys_upsidedown_450.gif

Rhys Millen was involved in an accident while preparing to be the first person to backflip an off-road racing truck at the Red Bull Experiment in Las Vegas on Monday, December 31.
We have been informed by Rhys Millen Racing's management team that Rhys has incurred non-life threatening injuries and is currently being medically treated at a local hospital.
Red Bull has a strong history working with athletes who push the limits and always employs safety as its first and primary concern. However, this is an unfortunate accident, and we wish Rhys a quick and healthy recovery.
Additional information will be disclosed when it becomes available.

RHYS MlLLEN QUOTE:
?After successfully landing the 360-degree backflip three times into the cardboard boxes in training, I am disappointed that our last jump ended in an accident. As I lay here in the hospital with three broken vertebrae in my neck and two compressed and broken vertebrae in my back, I am also disappointed that we cannot perform the 360-degree backflip at the Red Bull Experiment on New Year's Eve, but I'm happy that I will be able to walk again. I look forward to watching Robbie Maddison do his 300-plus-foot motorcycle jump in Las Vegas.?
Please direct all media inquiries to Jordan Miller at
jordan.miller@us.redbull.com.

Sounds terribly painfull, he's lucky to recover from it. i'd love to see someone succeed at a 360 with a car/buggy though :thumbup:

What, no video?

couldn't find it on the redbull site, it was a trainingsession. and: would you release a video of somebody almost getting killed? :think:

^^**cough** hamster **chough**

isnt Rhys Millen a drifter? whats with the backflip in a truck then...

Rhys does do the occasional rally. I think he does the annual New Zealand Race to the Sky (hill climb) which was scrapped recently actually.
As for why, the stunt would need someone with excellent pedal control, since you can't really shift weight in a car going off a ramp, so who better then a rally/drift driver.

Last edited: