JC loves the 135i

MadCow809

Forum Addict
:blink::blink:

Old JC has certainly changed. He gave the little uglee beemer a 5 star rating.

clickey

The ride is perfectly judged; firm but not so taut that it pops your eyes out on every cat?s-eye. And on a motorway it settles down to be nicely on the right side of comfortable. The seats are bang-on, as is the driving position.

But it?s the engine that impresses most of all. It has one small turbo to spin up the instant you apply the power, and then a bigger one that trundles into life later to keep the power coming . . . in bigger and bigger lumps. This, and there?s no other way of saying it, is a great engine. A masterpiece.

Then you leave the motorway and the road gets twisty and it?s like settling into your favourite armchair. The steering, the feel, the way you can adjust your line through the bend with the throttle. There is no other car made today in this sector of the market that gets even close. If you love driving, this is up there in a class of one.

Of course, a Mitsubishi Evo or a Subaru Impreza will grip more and slingshot you from bend to bend with more urgency, but if you prefer a more flowing style - less grip and more handling ? then you would be better off with the little Beemer.

even better.

get the car with LSD, which BMW now offers as a option extra for the 130 and 135.

drive it for 1000mile, chip it and the smile will never stop.

350+bhp + LSD RWD = happiness

So now the plan is to wait till the end of 2008, trade the 130 in for a 135, get my dad to put some mileage on the motor, and when i fly back to Durban again in 2009, i will have the car chipped and tuned.

Last edited:
i was surprised by that, especially as he seemed to dislike the 3 series with the same engine in it. But I suppose its good to know.

Very nicely written little story about the White Horse bar as well :p

I remember seeing the 1 series coupe picture in the "Car and Driver" office when i was there for a interview for a internship and everybody was laughing at its styling, i suppose it is better that its styled badly then not styled at all (cough.. 3 series.. cough.. cough..)

Last edited:
I am not a "looks" person at all. Usually doesn't make a difference to me, but I could not possibly drive a car this ugly. It looks truly horrible, at least in that press car colour. I'm sure it goes like hell and handles beautifully and for once I couldn't care less.

I like the one series for much the same reason Clarkson does, it is relatively light (by modern standards at least), small, RWD, and has a powerful engine.

It seems to be a more focused car than the three series, less gadgetry and more focus on being a sports car. As someone who drives a very basic and raw sports car I appreciate this.

As for the looks I don't mind it too much, it is essentially a modern version of the old 2002, and while not beautiful it does have charm.

Everyone loves 135 :)
EVO even went as far as predicting it'll be a future "cult" car (they had a cult car theme in the last issue), partly because it's a bit ugly as well :)

:blink::blink:

Old JC has certainly changed. He gave the little uglee beemer a 5 star rating.

clickey

either that or BMW actually listened to what people were saying.... especially considering the bone shattering rides they used to give their cars by using run-flats.

It does appear to be quite a good little car. I think the 1-Series makes more sense as a coup?, it gives you an excuse for why the back seats are so small.

But its still ugly....

the old hatchback version is so much better looking. The boot in the back looks absolutely ridiculous. Besides that i really like the 1-series. I actually like the styling, and that engine sounds amazing. Except here in denmark it's going to be so expensive you'll never be able to afford it. At least not untill you're old and boring, and then you're not gonna want one.. :p

from what I can tell JC doesn't understand how the turbos work on this motor.
335motorL.jpg

even i cant defend the coupe's styling, its fuck ugly from the back.

the hatchback version i got is much better.

having said that, im not buying the car for the styling. i am going to buy it because of its RWD agility and turbo power.

hm... maybe i should just do a engine transplant.....

from what I can tell JC doesn't understand how the turbos work on this motor.
[pedantic geman mode]

Yeah, it does have two identical turbos, each one fed by three cylinders. I suppose that he assumed this would have the same setup as the 535 diesel he tested some time ago.

[/pedantic geman mode]

Last edited: