The "New Toys" Thread

Crossfire/SLi is overrated IMO. Why not get a better single card? Or do you game at like 2048x1536?

There isn't a better single card, if you want the fastest then two 3870's are the way to go. Or tripple 8800 ultras in SLI, but thats still very new. (and uber expensive)

The 3870s didn't really work out well in my system, my cpu was a bit to slow to make them really shine. You at least need a 3ghz quad core for a proper difference, which isn't clearly stated anywhere. So I traded them for the 8800gt at the bottom (sorry, still had to show you a pic of them :) )

@Buba not sure what you're exactly asking but the 8800GT fan is very quiet.

Ah, okay. ATi's numbering system totally confuses me, so I didn't realize those were top of the line, heh,

Well, I finally got one. I was really close to buying a top-of-the-range model, but couldn't justify it. Hopefully next time I'm in the market for one they'll be more to my liking. I actually ended up with one of the lowest models (of the Nuvi range). It has most of the essential features at a third of the cost.
Anybody else here got a Nuvi?

Garmin Nuvi 200W
nuvi200Wn.png

Dad has a 660. He's quite pleased with it, but i prefer the Navigon, although it doesn't have detailed Slovenia, while Garmin does.

@Buba not sure what you're exactly asking but the 8800GT fan is very quiet.

Only had a quick look at the pic, and thought its the ATI. So you got a 8800GT with the new design? Cause I built a system for somebdy recently, and the 8800gt had a single slot "full cover" fan, also quiet, or better yet impossible to hear.
Buddy of mine has just bought a Gainward 8800GT and when I think about it, the fan looks just like yours!

Ooooh, I was thinking the bottom card was an ATi as well. heh

But yes, he has some bigass fan on it. Kinda overkill though as my GPU is at 44C right now and damn quiet (the RPMs are really low) and I only have the stock "revision 2" (unofficial) HSF.

14-150-259-05.jpg

Mine does, yes. This chipset sucks up way less power and makes way less heat than other cards, so only a 1 slot HSF is needed.

Got two terabyte SATA disks in Firewire 800/400/USB2/eSata cases. My media collection is 900 gigabytes and growing. Not interesting to look at but mmmm....

cooldrives_1981_15121963

Oh and
217098173.png

Next up, a new desktop computer for my main machine and gaming rig... I'm going to give the new Lenovo Thinkstation a chance. And maybe a Mac ultraportable if it is released at Macworld. And I still want a Thinkpad T61. And a new car. Grrrr.....

You guys with GT5 Prologue, can you share details? I'm out of the loop on grey-market PS3 imports. Where did you get them, will they play on an unmodded US system, etc.

Last edited:
I got a pair of Klipsch ProMedia 2.0 speakers yesterday! I spent half an hour in the store figuring out whether to get these or the Bose Companion 2 speakers. After comparing them side by side, I came to the conclusion that the Klipsch sounded better (although by a margin) but at almost $20 less than the Bose speakers, the decision was a no brainer!

41BZYSWK3AL._AA280_.jpg

You guys with GT5 Prologue, can you share details? I'm out of the loop on grey-market PS3 imports. Where did you get them, will they play on an unmodded US system, etc.

PS3 is region free so this means you can buy a game anywhere in the world and it will run on your PS3. I searched many shops in Barcelona looking for an imported copy of GT5. I got tired searching so I gave a chance to ebay.

I'm not a big fan of ebay but I thought I'd give it a chance and bought my copy there. It was froma UK store that only sells through ebay and they had a lot of recomendations so I bught my copy there.

This:

41hqzaw4YgL._SX280_SH35_.jpg

Although it does get stuck quite easily on small bumps in the carpet it is great fun!

Got two terabyte SATA disks in Firewire 800/400/USB2/eSata cases. My media collection is 900 gigabytes and growing. Not interesting to look at but mmmm....

cooldrives_1981_15121963

Oh and
217098173.png

Next up, a new desktop computer for my main machine and gaming rig... I'm going to give the new Lenovo Thinkstation a chance. And maybe a Mac ultraportable if it is released at Macworld. And I still want a Thinkpad T61. And a new car. Grrrr.....

More information onthose HD's please !!! :)

racing-grannies-L.jpg

not really new technology but these wind up grannies are brilliant racers :D

i got them yesterday as s new year present from my gran.

Is it bad that the first thought that popped into my head when I saw those racing grannies was an idea for a drinking game? :lol:

Nice!

I need a rear suspension bike. :(