anyone here do a business degree?

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
or similar?

LMK if u do... i have some questions fer ye!

nope, i'm doing IT :(

:wave:

Bachelor of Business (Accounting), but I'm trying to jump the fence into IT

well i have this coursework, well 2 actually, for a module named business systems. i do engineering, but they try to teach those on the masters degree a bit of business on top of what we already do, and i have to say its difficult for me to get my head round because everything comes across as either vague and ambiguous or over done with convoluted explanations to what should be a simple idea.

anyway. 1st one is on company structure and culture. we just have to write a side or two stating how we would structure a company and what style of management to use (and why) to achieve a set of objectives.

the objectives are:

1) focus on cost efficiency and be a low cost producer of standard lifting products/solutions
2) focus on responsiveness and rapid change i.e. becoming highly flexible and adjustable without the need to be low cost
3) focus on product and proccess innovation and become a design leader
4)combine all of the above.

basically the company is in two parts. 650 people (450 UK, 200 S.Africa) one part makes standard equipment. the other engineer to order equipment.

way i see it is this.

the standard products are made to stock, customisable to order, the desingers gradually innovate over time slowly improving products.

the ETO lot are contract based, they act as consultants, design a product with relative freedom (ie they can go nuts and try stuff) and then the whole thing is custom built

so i need a structure that makes the standard product guys efficient and low cost
and a structure that makes the ETO guys innovate and be adaptable.
then i need some structure thats going to combine them.

i was thinking.....

divisional, hierarchy with parental style management for standard product groups.
so the standard products are split into small groups (small, med, large say) and theres managers and supervisiors and everyone knows their role and shuts their mouth.

i think a Flat, Matrix structure with a democratic/consultative management style for the ETO guys so that its more like group of friends... all are at the same level, theres few managers, and people can be swapped around and grouped to suit whatever comes their way and best solve the problems

i want some inter-division trading so that all the innovations from the ETO projects filter into the standard products.

? am i on the right track?