I quite like large luxury vehicles. Why the hate?

It would be totally awesome if they fit a N/A 5.4 V8, redid the suspension and redid the interior for the Crown Victoria. Shame it's never going to happen.

@A.Fonz - Is it just me or does the WH commodore look a lot like an Oldsmobile/Buick styled into an old B-Body Caprice. It does look elegant, but it a very 80's-90's way. Were those cars only available in Australia?

As for my favourite big car, I would have to say that it would be the new S-Class. Had a moment at the front of it during the Autoshow and it was an absolute masterpiece. Soft, plush leather, beautiful bits of chrome, and authentic wood trim. Everything just felt so "right" in the S-Class.

I'l have to agree with you there, I particulary have a soft spot for the older (WH?) models.

Caprice9990004.jpg

Actually, I do too. Almost forgot about it! My favourite has to be the WH International.

@Wh Statesman* They were exported to Saudi Arabia, but that's about it. Only here and a few export markets. Mind you, that model statesman came out in the late 90s, so you can forgive it for looking a tad dated :p

No-one's mentioned the Citroen C6? :p

Personally, I reckon the luxobarges would be fantastic if you're not doing the driving. I'd be more than happy to sit in the back of an S Class or similar. If I'm the one driving, I might rather something else.

Who hates on big luxury cars? I haven't seen it.

Apparently nobody here hates on large luxury vehicles. I love them too btw, they fill a purpose no other cars can.
Although it doesn't shine through in this thread, I'm with zenoiks in that I agree that there is some hate towards them on this forum. But no matter.

I'm a confessed luxo-barge-o-holic. I love em!! :)

Not a fan of the Maybach though. I use to love it, when the technology was dazzling, but as time has worn on and there have been just as good (if not better) and cheaper alternatives, my love for it has gone. I do have a soft spot for the "S" version Maybach though...even if its the wrong car to wear a "sport" badge.

Although it doesn't shine through in this thread, I'm with zenoiks in that I agree that there is some hate towards them on this forum. But no matter.

Everyone has different needs and wants, and im at a point in my life that a sports car isnt what i want to drive 100% of the time, and a luxury car really works for the right occasions. Plus theres no category of cars i really hate, i can appreciate all of them even if i wont buy one in every category. Plus i think hate towards luxury cars is stupid and ignorant.

Everyone has different needs and wants, and im at a point in my life that a sports car isnt what i want to drive 100% of the time, and a luxury car really works for the right occasions. Plus theres no category of cars i really hate, i can appreciate all of them even if i wont buy one in every category. Plus i think hate towards luxury cars is stupid and ignorant.

+1

Every car has its place and purpose.

Plus a lot of ppl who hate on luxury cars are often hating the *owners* of luxury cars , who can be some of the biggest ignorant cocks around, and unfortunately they cannot separate cars from drivers in their minds so they hate on the cars as well.

Same reason why some ppl say porsches and BMWs suck, mainly because they're fantastic cars driven by tools and pillocks, and by associate ruin the image of the cars.

But i will say that a car's coolness (not specs, capabilities, mechanical abilities, etc) IS affected by the types of ppl who own them. The right types of owners can make or break a car's coolness. Much like some trendy clothing worn by the cool outcast kids in school, but once it catches on and the look becomes mainstream, lets face it, i think we can all agree the coolness is gone once EVERYONE copies that look.

Plus a lot of ppl who hate on luxury cars are often hating the *owners* of luxury cars , who can be some of the biggest ignorant cocks around, and unfortunately they cannot separate cars from drivers in their minds so they hate on the cars as well.

Same reason why some ppl say porsches and BMWs suck, mainly because they're fantastic cars driven by tools and pillocks, and by associate ruin the image of the cars.

But i will say that a car's coolness (not specs, capabilities, mechanical abilities, etc) IS affected by the types of ppl who own them. The right types of owners can make or break a car's coolness. Much like some trendy clothing worn by the cool outcast kids in school, but once it catches on and the look becomes mainstream, lets face it, i think we can all agree the coolness is gone once EVERYONE copies that look.
I can honestly say, after meeting a few M3 drivers and seeing them on the road getting pwnt by the Subaru crew... well, im not going to go there. But they dont get happy when their fancy, expensive cars are being owned left and right by cheap, reliable subarus.

Who said anybody hated luxury cars?

og05mb600j65.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.**/img19/1557/ronin_mercedes.jpg
bmw_7er_ahnen_p0001016-c.jpg

119161586140278.jpg

caddy6.jpg

es69c.jpg

047.jpg

There are sports cars, and there are luxury cars. It's when companies try to put those two together that cars become heavy and pointless, and that's where the hate stems from.

for me its the VW Pheaton

just because i think its an exemplary second hand buy. especially the 3.0 V6 TDI 4Motion, pretty much matches the V8 for torque and is a lot more frugal. of course the W12 is just killer, but affording it would also be killer.

IMO i think the pheaton (TDI) is pretty close to being an affordable 2nd hand luxury barge. id probably take it over an S-class. i seen a 3.0l Pheaton for under ?25k the other day.

I like some luxo-barges; I guess if there are any I "hate" it would be the wobbly coffins that completely remove you from the driving experience and specifically road feel. That stems from my hatred for 1970s malaise-era American aircraft carrier cars that my parents loved so much (including a 1979 Chrysler New Yorker and 1984 Lincoln Town Car). I also don't like luxo barges in which one is meant to be driven instead of to drive on principal (e.g. Maybach).

I can honestly say, after meeting a few M3 drivers and seeing them on the road getting pwnt by the Subaru crew... well, im not going to go there. But they dont get happy when their fancy, expensive cars are being owned left and right by cheap, reliable subarus.

Im not really talking about them specifically, even adults who aren't interested in street racing, they drive around like the cocks thaht Clarkson made fun of.

Im not really talking about them specifically, even adults who aren't interested in street racing, they drive around like the cocks thaht Clarkson made fun of.

Just look at every M3 driver... it gives you a hint lol

I know exactly what you mean though.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about what type of vehicles; I meant large, luxury SUVs. I didn't want to use the word SUV because some people here are very adamant that these vehicles shouldn't be called SUVs and I didn't feel like bringing their wrath upon this thread. Better late than never...

How about a Cadillac Escalade
http://img150.imageshack.**/img150/3554/2008cadillacescalade201ik5.jpg

or Infiniti QX56?
http://img504.imageshack.**/img504/2814/infinitiqx560125ab555pn2.jpg

Excessive in every way possible; large wheels, low gas mileage, and if need be, you could bus a village of people from a third-world country from place to place. No one needs a vehicle this large nor does anyone need a vehicle that can go 150+ MPH. I just wonder why people here would despise seeing one of this vehicles on the road.

Can anyone see what I'm getting to?

Last edited:
Sorry if I wasn't clear about what type of vehicles; I meant large, luxury SUVs. I didn't want to use the word SUV because some people here are very adamant that these vehicles shouldn't be called SUVs and I didn't feel like bringing their wrath upon this thread. Better late than never...

How about a Cadillac Escalade
http://img150.imageshack.**/img150/3554/2008cadillacescalade201ik5.jpg

or Infiniti QX56?
http://img504.imageshack.**/img504/2814/infinitiqx560125ab555pn2.jpg

Excessive in every way possible; large wheels, low gas mileage, and if need be, you could bus a village of people from a third-world country from place to place. No one needs a vehicle this large nor does anyone need a vehicle that can go 150+ MPH. I just wonder why people here would despise seeing one of this vehicles on the road.

I can, and i love 'em.

People here gripe about their gas mileage, but when was the last time you looked at the sticker of the Maserati Quattroporte you were just praising in the other thread? What? Does it say 12city, 19highway? Yep, thats right. Most of these big cars you guys LOVE, actually get WORSE gas mileage than the massive SUVs you hate.

Oh, well if we're supposed to be discussing the merits of luxury SUV's that changes my stated opinion. All I really have to say about them is that I hate them; hate them worse than fucking Illinois Nazis :p. As far as I'm concerned most modern SUV's are pointless anyway, and they're nowhere near as sleek and just plain cool looking as a luxury car can be.

Why are large wheels and low gas mileage something to be admired? Sure, a Murcielago or 599GTB has large wheels and poor gas mileage, but they at least have something to show for it, like 0-100 in < 4 seconds and top speeds of 300+ km/h. But you want a luxo-SUV because it has big wheels? Sure, they can carry what, 9 people, but so can a people-mover (minivan). Do you think a Toyota Tarago is cool too?

Why are large wheels and low gas mileage something to be admired? Sure, a Murcielago or 599GTB has large wheels and poor gas mileage, but they at least have something to show for it, like 0-100 in < 4 seconds and top speeds of 300+ km/h. But you want a luxo-SUV because it has big wheels? Sure, they can carry what, 9 people, but so can a people-mover (minivan). Do you think a Toyota Tarago is cool too?

Minivans arent luxurious at all. Nor are they cool. That and they have either FWD or AWD=FTL. They cant tow, and most minivans get bad gas mileage to.

I mean, HONESTLY. What would you rather drive?

07town_country1.jpg

2007chevrolettahoe.jpg

I'm not saying that large wheels are something to be admired nor am I saying they are cool. I am saying that having large, shiny wheels is just as excessive as having a top speed of 190 MPH. You don't need a tops speed of 190 MPH nor do you need to have large, chrome wheels.

Minivans arent luxurious at all. Nor are they cool. That and they have either FWD or AWD=FTL. They cant tow, and most minivans get bad gas mileage to.

I mean, HONESTLY. What would you rather drive?

If they're my only two choices, I'd rather get one of these:

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/04/mo1623.JPG