Chinese Man Vows to Only Drive Cars Built in China After Crashing Mercedes S350

vanMould

Car(s)
Volvo 480ES -88
11.jpg

Chinese Man Vows to Only Drive Cars Built in China After Crashing Mercedes S350

Earlier this December, Wang Zhan, a man in Luoyang, Henan Province of China, organized a press conference beside the banks of the Yellow River, aka the Mother River of Chinese people, where he vowed to only use goods made in China for the rest of his life. On June 5th, Wang?s Mercedes-Benz S350 rear-ended a DongFeng van. None of the S350?s airbags deployed, which resulted in Wang and his daughter visiting the hospital after the crash.

Wang then contacted Zhengzhou Star, the local sales company and headquarters of Mercedes-Benz China, about the airbag failure he encountered, but didn?t get a satisfactory answer. The banner Wang had in his hand read ?Only use goods made in China for the rest of my life? and the one behind him read ?Mercedes-Benz, with over a hundred years of history, is a good brand in name, but not in reality.? Your correspondent worries about Wang?s confidence in made-in-China goods, if he really made his mind to venture in Chinese cars.

http://news.windingroad.com/countri...-built-in-china-after-crashing-mercedes-s350/

If he was driving a Jiangling Landwind, he'd be dead.
What a colossal dumbass.

"Only use goods made in China for the rest of my life"

rest of his life isn't long considering he'll drive cars made in China )

Although I am surprised airbags didnt deploy (

well good luck to him.. next time when he crashes, he wont make it alive to hold another press conference.

there are lots of reasons why the airbags did not deploy during the crash. Angle of impact and severity of the crash, not wearing a seatbelt etc can all be a factor.

Mercedes is built like a bloody brick, ive crashed one myself to know that, both me and my mate walked out without a single scratch or bruise. Similar situation happened to my dad, a prick in a golf jumped the stop street and crashed into the front of the car, it was an instant write off for him and nothing happened to my dad.

Theres no bumper damage, my guess is the car went under the truck, no large initial impact and car slowed down gradually while going under enough for the air bags not to have deployed.

What an idiot.

He probably wouldn't be alive to say that if he was in a Chinese car.

So is this his new car then?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F06LjugtIUo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah. So the S350 is unsafe. The airbags didn't deploy and he is still alive. He would be dead even if the airbags deploy in a crash in that thing^.

i think he is just doing this to piss off the Chinese Mercedes dealerships. Trying to divert their potential customers away.......ppl can be fickle, especially ignorant ones, i wonder how many ppl will change their minds about buying a Mercedes after reading this article.

The airbag sensors were probably made in China.

What an idiot.. wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese government were involved to a degree. Apparently you need permission from the government in China to hold an outdoor press conference.

Also -

Also, contrary to popular belief, airbag sensors aren't simple devices that trigger when crushed necessarily. They're designed to detect a rapid deceleration. Once a rapid enough deceleration is detected, it will trigger the bags.

In this accident, he probably slid a bit under the truck, slowing down quite a bit obviously, but not nearly instantly like what happens when you rear-end a stopped vehicle.

People think air bag deployments are a very simple thing. They are not. It is a touchy process getting to blow when you need it to, but to stay quite otherwise (like in 5 MPH collisions, strange occurrences on a track, etc).

Stuipid man.

"Only use goods made in China for the rest of my life"

rest of his life isn't long considering he'll drive cars made in China )

Although I am surprised airbags didnt deploy (

judging from the damange it looks like it hit the bonnet rather than the bumper. but i would of thought on a S-class they didnt just have bumper mounted crash sensors

Of course it has sensors and gyros placed everywhere, no matter what you hit the car will know it. It'll also know in a splitsecond if deploying the airbags will do you good or harm. Getting punched in the face by an airbag hurts _alot_ and if you're going slowly it will not help you.

Reactions: LP
The funny thing is, this isn't the first time I've heard a German car in China be in a crash where its airbags failed to go off. My dad told me of a colleague who worked in government whose Audi A6 plowed into the back of a truck at 50mph. The front end was obliterated but the airbags didn't go off even though in that condition they should have, and he was sent to the hospital. Well, it WAS a Chinese-built Audi...

The thing was, he wanted to sue Audi for it, but he had gotten the car for free out of a bribe, so naturally he didn't want to get the word out. :unsure:

Still, it's rather idiotic of this guy to make banners and hold a huge press conference to make a big stink about it. China's full of nouveau riche assholes in boring German sedans that don't give a shit anyway. Naturally the rest of the world is going to pick up on this story and make the Chinese look like a bunch of backwards imbeciles in their hilariously crappy automobiles.

Problem is, even if he only drives Chinese products from now on he'll look rather stupid in 15-20 years when Chinese cars will eventually reach the safey standards of today's S-Class. Gotta take a look on the latest Vietnamese or Bangladesh models then.