Most useful OSX Programs ?

I started with Parallels so I'm pulling for them, but VMWare fusion is a good product too. It's good to have a choice, innit?

I agree entirely. Choice is always good, and choosing an operating system on a Mac is an even better benefit.

Cheers everyone for your help !!

Is there any need for codecs or the like when using VLC ?

No need, VLC uses its own codecs, (well FFMPEG), so it is ready once you install it. Like others have suggested for WMV and the like use quicktime with flip4mac.

Good suggestions.
VLC must have.
I use Cyberduck for FTP.
Firefox for browsing.
Skype for videochat.
Azureus for torrents until native utorrent comes out (Azureus is CPU heavy).
CS3.
Cabos (like limewire but simpler) for Japanese DL's.
Some handy dashboard apps, get what you think you'll use.

I had Flip4Mac but after having some trouble with iWeb I checked the Apple forums and discovered there was an issue with it, so I deleted it.

Oh, and while VLC plays pretty much everything hassle free, the scan/fast forward doesn't really work smoothly and WMV files break-up when skipped forward back.

One last one I forgot, when I only had a CD burner back in the day, I was unimpressed by how the OSX burning software seemed to take up so much of the disc so I would say a decent burning app is also a must have, I use Roxio. I cant say for certain if Roxio uses less space on DVDs though cos I havent checked.

Last edited:
right is there a better FTP program the cyberduck

cyberduck is totally hopeless, its rubbish at managing connections and it crashes every second download.

right is there a better FTP program the cyberduck

cyberduck is totally hopeless, its rubbish at managing connections and it crashes every second download.

I second the recommendation of Transmit. It costs money, but it is the best FTP/WebDAV/Etc client money can buy.

On an unrelated note I would also recommend iFlash for anyone who is doing some form of studying. This flashcard program has been a life-saver for my language classes.

http://www.loopware.com/iflash/

^ LOL. That's what's different about the Mac, useless but fun and creative shit like that. There's also Smackbook (let's you smack the side of the screen to change desktops) and there's one that let's you do a Jedi wave over the light sensors in the speaker grille to change events. Lots of cool crap like that. See, thinkpads have the same accelerometers but nobody came up with it.

Oh one I just remembered, can't remember the name but it uses the remote like a key fob to lock the notebook complete with car alarm sound. If someone fucks with your notebook its flashes the sceen sounds a siren car alarm and takes their picture for you to see when you come back and unlock it with the remote. Cool but useless. EDIT: It's called iAlertU

Last edited:
quicktime pro with plugins plays almost everything
for everything else vlc
i use cyberduck for ftp never had any problems with it
transmission for torrents
vienna for rss feeds
pando to send files
shakespeer fo dc++
adium is awesome for instant messaging
visual hub for encoding movies
quicksilver is an awesome app, i cant live without it
nocturne is good for doing things at night (it inverts the screen and you can mess with the colors)
toast 8 for burning
as for parallels vs vmware i've used both and found vmware to be better, but its just personal preference they both work fine
smcFan control comes in pretty handy too

hope that helps :)