Carbage

Do you have any links? I searched google and didn't turn up much. By your post I figured you were talking about an independent suspension system, not a solid axle setup like the Toyota has. But all the rotoflex Land Rover pages I went to didn't explain anything about increasing the ground clearance below the diff on a solid rear axle.

Really the only other thing you can do to get extra clearance under the diff with solid axles is to install portal axles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_axle

portal-axle-2.jpg

DSC_3649.jpg

A guy in my four wheel drive club has them on his Series III Land Rover.

Here is the write up on when he did the swap on his Rover.

http://www.jonfund.com/technical/roverportals.shtml

22.jpg

Look ma no axle tube.
10.jpg

That's pretty cool, but I wouldn't ever want them on my Toyota. More complicated parts usually result in more breakages.

That's pretty cool, but I wouldn't ever want them on my Toyota. More complicated parts usually result in more breakages.

He has had good luck with his portals and they are military grade hardware designed to work with a much heavier vehicle then that little Series III.

From the article...

These are pretty beefy items designed to push 3.5 - 5.5 ton (GVW) vehicles through the Swedish snow and Malaysian mud generally on 9.00 x 16 tyres.

If you tried hard enough you could break them but you would have to try really, really hard.

Also keep in mind that at the time of that write up he was still using the little 2.25 liter 4 cylinder that came stock in that series III. It has been modified but I doubt it makes over 75 hp even with the modifications.

I know he was in the middle of installing a Rover V8, not sure which version of it, but I don't know how far along that process is right now.

wp3-1024.jpg

just, wrong...

I quite like that. It's not too much and i bet it also has the blow to go with the show.

You're probably right, but they could've done a bit better than that, Mitsu and subaru manage to make their cars look the part, adding kit to that car doesnt work, plus the price will probably be out there too...

I quite like that. It's not too much and i bet it also has the blow to go with the show.

It doesn't, has the same mods as the Mugen Civic does, which is actually a slower car (0-60 wise and 1/4 mile wise) but has much better handling.

If they got rid of the wing it would look fantastic.

How is this carbage? Please explain to me! ;)

chris_117.jpg

^ I console myself in the knowledge that it can easily be saved, with some new wheels & springs, it'll be all fixed.

I take it that not many people like the VW scene, did you just think that was 'carbage' because of the Bentley rims? 8)

^ It's not carbage - fortunately they've left the body alone. It's not just the VW scene though - any car dropped like that with over-sized chrometastic wheels on it isn't to my taste. And nothing screams 'wanker' like putting Bentley wheels on anything other than a Bentley.

^ It's not carbage - fortunately they've left the body alone. It's not just the VW scene though - any car dropped like that with over-sized chrometastic wheels on it isn't to my taste. And nothing screams 'wanker' like putting Bentley wheels on anything other than a Bentley.

Most of all dubbers leave the body alone, the only things we do is smooth the rear and front bumper or pull the arches etc. I think the TT here has got air ride or something as you wouldn't be able to drive it that low. I must admit I do like the euro look. Here's a MK3 Supercharged VR6 and It does look nice in my opinion. :D But like you said, it isn't to your taste and I respect what you say, because everyone likes different styles etc.

By the way this is NOT carbage ;)

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg
[/IMG]

It's not bad, but the wheels are odd. A bit too small, and the whole car is way too lowered.
The problem with Golfs are actually the people that drive them - most of them think their cars are the fastest on the road and that traffic laws do not apply to them. Otherwise, the Golf is not a bad car, except for the awful ride quality.

Really the only other thing you can do to get extra clearance under the diff with solid axles is to install portal axles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_axle

portal-axle-2.jpg

DSC_3649.jpg

A guy in my four wheel drive club has them on his Series III Land Rover.

Here is the write up on when he did the swap on his Rover.

http://www.jonfund.com/technical/roverportals.shtml

22.jpg

Look ma no axle tube.
10.jpg

Portal Axle?

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

+1

Thats why I like solid axles to begin with, this system may give more clearance, but it does it at the expense of simplicity and reliability.

The most important clearances are your approach angle, departure angle and breakover angle. Experienced off road drivers know that your wheels always go over the highest obstacles, not around them. I'm sure you guys have heard me bitch about videos with crappy wheel placement (or laud those with excellent wheel placement), this is why.

The only thing I really see this system as helping is the ability to move through mud without bogging down at the axles, unfortunately it also means you will be that much deeper when you stop sinking. Don't get me wrong, I think that they would make negotiating extremely tough terrain easier, but I'm not sure that the benefit is worth the increase complexity and vulnerability to shearing forces. I would rather have a solidly built and very simple machine combined with an experienced driver.

The last time I was in Moab there were some guys driving some VERY beat-up Jeep Cherokee XJs. They had broken and axle offroading (not an uncommon thing to happen) and were replacing it that evening in the parking lot. I don't think you could do that with this system.

Last edited:
Most of all dubbers leave the body alone, the only things we do is smooth the rear and front bumper or pull the arches etc. I think the TT here has got air ride or something as you wouldn't be able to drive it that low. I must admit I do like the euro look. Here's a MK3 Supercharged VR6 and It does look nice in my opinion. :D But like you said, it isn't to your taste and I respect what you say, because everyone likes different styles etc.

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg
[/IMG]

if he got rid of the stupid spacers, it wouldn't be

The last time I was in Moab there were some guys driving some VERY beat-up Jeep Cherokee XJs. They had broken and axle offroading (not an uncommon thing to happen) and were replacing it that evening in the parking lot. I don't think you could do that with this system.

:lol:

One of my friends was driving to a meet when he destroyed a Birfield. So he pulled onto the shoulder on the freeway and tore down everything and replaced the birfield. Only took him about an hour.

And his dad just recently grenaded a hub while on a trail called Highway to Hell. But he had a rebuilt one in his other truck, so he was able to swap them out without a problem.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/C8hau/IMG_1454.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/C8hau/IMG_1448.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/C8hau/IMG_1971.jpg

Looks retarded with such small wheels. I don't like it that low either really.