Motorist banned after driving 10 mph on motorway

cdbob

Car(s)
'09 STi (soon gone),'04 TDi, '96 MX-5 M
LONDON (Reuters) - A woman banned from driving for seven days after traveling at speeds of less than 10mph on the motorway told Reuters on Friday: "that road's my nemesis." Stephanie Cole, 58, of Fishponds, Bristol, straddled the hard shoulder and inside lane as she dawdled along a stretch of the M32 near her home last August.

In the back window of the car was a sign which said: "I don't do fast, please overtake".

Cole admitted driving without reasonable consideration at North Avon Magistrates' Court on Friday and was told she would have to take another test at the end of the ban.

"I didn't intend getting onto the motorway, but all of a sudden I found myself on it and I could not get off," she told Reuters after the hearing.

"I just panicked. I hate that particular stretch of road and I avoid it normally. It is my nemesis."

Cole had been traveling from her home to a stationer's when she was arrested in her Perodua Kenari mini people-carrier.

"I thought "thank God" when I saw the blue flashing lights," she said. "I thought they could help and I asked them if they could drive me home."

Cole, who has multiple sclerosis, said she depends on her car for getting around.

"I will try and retake the test," she said.

"I will have to do my best when driving, and hope it is better than it was."

source

:blink: Wow, just wow.

I think May has some serious competition.

How lost mentally do you have to be to just suddenly find yourself on a highway? :S I hope she fails and gets someone else to drive her around. People like that don't belong on the road.

People like that are just as bad of a danger as speeders. I'm glad she was dealt with.

1) that woman should be banned from driving forever and right away. Who "accidently" finds herself on the motorway and then drives slowly out of fear should not pilot a car anymore.

2) going home from work one night, I almost rear-ended a VW camper van badly. I was on a three-lane autobahn in the dark, with not many cars around. I was probably going 120 km/h (75 mph) when I spotted a slowly driving camper van with real bad rear lights (probably never been serviced), maybe going 60 km/h (38 mph). I just managed to miss it, but it was close. I don't want to run into that, or even worse an old lady going 10 mph.

Stuff like that happens all the time. I remember reading it at least 3 times in a German Newspaper...
That shit is dangerous. I once almost crashed into the back of a truck that turned out to be just the back of truck being hauled by a tractor once. ON A BIKE. Damn that was close... Back then the Bikes didn't come with ABS as standard, at least the BMW I drove didn't have it. Don't get me wrong, usually I like a loose rear end...

Wow.

They call the Perodua Kenari a People Carrier?

Ugh ban these morons it pissed me off a lot when I'm in the car and an ass is going say 20 below the limit with acres of open road...

News like this is a very good argument for a minimum speed limit.

Then I remember things like weather conditions, roadworks and the fact that 90% of the UK's motorways are at any one time in one huge traffic jam, and I realise how impossible that is, logistically.

Can we ban people who drive no faster than 35mph the entire length of an onramp and only speed up once they're on the interstate? Please?

Can we ban people who drive no faster than 35mph the entire length of an onramp and only speed up once they're on the interstate? Please?

I've almost been involved in 3 accidents because of people like this. This may seem extreme, but I hope for a society in which snipers will take them out. Its always those people that complain about the "crazy drivers" on the interstates and can't figure out how they can't get into the traffic.

I've almost been involved in 3 accidents because of people like this. This may seem extreme, but I hope for a society in which snipers will take them out. Its always those people that complain about the "crazy drivers" on the interstates and can't figure out how they can't get into the traffic.

Now its not, I've had the same thing happen, honestly people like that do deserve to die if they risking your life that much and trying to be assholes. My motto is floor it.

How lost mentally do you have to be to just suddenly find yourself on a highway? :S I hope she fails and gets someone else to drive her around. People like that don't belong on the road.

I have a cousin that did that, for some odd reason she got nervous. The sad thing was, it was in heavy, slow moving traffic so it's not like she had to worry about anything.

I'm not serious that they need to die, I guess I was aiming more for a Clarkson-esque extreme statement. But police should be at the end of on-ramps at random, and if you're caught going under 55 half-way down the on-ramp it should be an automatic loss of driving privileges for 1 year during which time you have to go to driving school.

They should ban the onramp Captain Slows or give us all Ferraris so we can accelerate faster to merge safely. :burnrubber:

People like that are just as bad of a danger as speeders. I'm glad she was dealt with.

I am in no way as much of a danger as she is :mad:, i demand you take that back

I'm not serious that they need to die, I guess I was aiming more for a Clarkson-esque extreme statement. But police should be at the end of on-ramps at random, and if you're caught going under 55 half-way down the on-ramp it should be an automatic loss of driving privileges for 1 year during which time you have to go to driving school.

YEAH! Loss of driving privileges for 1 year for everyone who happens to get stuck in a traffic jam. You're a genius, you just solved the whole traffic jam issue. Here's your nobel prize :hammer:

YEAH! Loss of driving privileges for 1 year for everyone who happens to get stuck in a traffic jam. You're a genius, you just solved the whole traffic jam issue. Here's your nobel prize :hammer:

Oh come on, use some thought. Obviously the law doesn't apply constantly. If it all possible, one must accelerate to match high-way speed.

Problem solved. :rolleyes:

How lost mentally do you have to be to just suddenly find yourself on a highway?

MS can really fry your mind, and certain medications can lead to hallucinations. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

News like this is a very good argument for a minimum speed limit.

Around here, Interstates have a minimum speed limit of 45 mph. Works well.