[13x01] January 21st, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

SL65

Ambitious but rubbish!
Car(s)
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
Returning to Five for its 13th series, Fifth Gear promises more facts and essential information than ever before about the most important new cars, along with the usual mix of stunts and challenges that push cars and regular presenters Vicki Butler-Henderson, Tiff Needell and Jason Plato to the limit. In this first episode, Tiff meets chef Heston Blumenthal, Jason Plato drives the speedy Mercedes CLK63 Black and Jonny Smith compares the C-Crosser with the old 2CV.

Tiff Needell starts the new series off in style by meeting the chef constantly in search of perfection: Heston Blumenthal. Almost as passionate about cars as he is about food, Heston has always wanted to learn one particular trick behind the wheel ? the art of powersliding. Moreover, he has always wanted one particular man to teach him ? Tiff Needell. So is the top as talented in a car as he is in a kitchen, and can he possibly combine the two skills? After some expert coaching from his driving idol, Heston given the ultimate challenge inolving vegetables, knife and his 500 bhp car...

Elsewhere tonight, Jason Plato drives the Mercedes CLK63 Black. It costs ?100,000 and so fast that it is used as the official Formula 1 car, controlling a field of the world?s quickest racing drivers when there is trouble on the track.

The C-Crosser is Citroen?s modern-day equivalent of the old-fashioned 2CV. It is goodlooking, quick and can seat seven people, but does it really represent progress? Jonny Smith comes up with three inventive challenges to out whether the new car is better than the old.

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is a billionaire with an interest in collecting cars. Now he has decided to have a garage clearout and dispose of over 50 of them. Tom Ford gets an advance look at the rare and unusual collection and later attends the official auction. He has cheque book at the ready, but will he be able get his hands on one of Bernie?s cars?

Finally this week, Vicki Butler-Henderson returns to the revamped Anglesey, the spiritual home of Fifth Gear?s famous shoot-outs. In this week?s duel are two low, light and very fast cars: the Lotus Exige S and the Caterham CSR.
Can't wait to hear the CLK 63 AMG Black Series :woot:

No Tom Ford? Or is he out with his injury?

Edit: nevermind, I'm tired and my eyes are playing tricks

Tom is there. (2nd last paragraph)

That is the best outline for a Fith Gear in some time - I am looking forward to this one very much.

I really like Heston and all that 'perfection madness' of his show too so lets hope that he makes a good guest.

I like the C-Crosser and the Merc bit too - penciled in on calendar.

"Fifth Gear promises more facts and essential information than ever before about the most important new cars,"

i hope this translates to "Longer and more detailed car reviews" : "Little time spent on waste"

"Fifth Gear promises more facts and essential information than ever before about the most important new cars,"

i hope this translates to "Longer and more detailed car reviews" : "Little time spent on waste"

^ indoobidably

I hope so too, that PLAGUED the last series :mad:

Let's hope it's better now :)

seems very good, in any case I can't wait for it...
Bernie Ecclestone 50 car collection :bow:

How can you possibly put more useful information in 5th Gear, what are they gonna do "how to change the suspention on 92 civic..." segments?

why why why must they have ridiculous and pointless "celebrities" in this show. Leave that to Top Gear and concentrate on road-tests. The dual sounds semi-interesting as does Ecclestone's auction.

They were back filming at the Ace Cafe today.

This is taken from waveguide.co.uk:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Fiat is to sponsor an entire eveni9ng of programmes on Five, it was announced today.
Five is to be the first broadcaster to take advantage of the change in Ofcom regulations surrounding sponsorship deals.
Five's sales team and media buyer Starcom Mediavest Plus have developed a broadcast sponsorship package to coincide with the unveiling of the car manufacturer's new Fiat 500.

The car will be launched to the public on January 21. The period running up to the launch will be marked on-screen by a countdown clock appearing on Five every evening until the launch, using 10 and 20-second commercial spots.

On the launch evening, Fiat branding will appear on Five programme menus, as well as on a series of integrated 25 second channel idents prior to each show transmitted after 20:00 on the day.

Finally, the Fiat 500 will feature in 0.5 second ad-break flashes which will appear between every commercial in every break after the launch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
I dunno...sounds like Blumenthal will be the most interesting part of this whole series....

The C-Crosser part sounds really boring. I just want to know why they think it is the modern day 2CV. The Blumenthal thing sounds really boring also.

the only common thing between a 2CV and a C-Crosser is the "chevron" badge

the latter is a rebranded Mitsubishi, BTW.
highest degree of suckiness for these comparisons.

here is a video preview from the fithgear website
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngSpzjTWo4g[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.