The Wire is back!

Austere

Car(s)
Mercedes-Benz 280S
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/23/673pxTheWireSeason5.jpg

I know I spam this forum with new threads every few seconds but this one is important!

It's been a long, long wait but The Wire is finally back on HBO! Season 5 just started airing on the 6th of January.

Anybody else dusting-off their The Wire fanboyism and getting back into it?

There's not much to say yet because there's only been one episode but I'm definitely interested in the newspaper and the newsroom and the stories therein. But then I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to that sort of thing - One of my favourite movies is The Paper.

I am missing Pryzbylewski tho. I hope he gets a look in at some point.

Last edited:
I have heard some compare The Wire to the Sopranos and they say it's on the same level in terms of quality.

Agree or not? I need something to watch now that most cable shows are off air due to the strike. Although Lost does come back for 9 eppys in a few weeks!

I watch a whole lot of TV, but I never watched The Sopranos. I did watch 2 seasons of The Wire, and season 1 was very very good.

This is neither here nor there, but I recently finished watching the entire season of Buffy the vampire slayer...and right now i'd say that is the best series i've ever seen.

I have heard some compare The Wire to the Sopranos and they say it's on the same level in terms of quality.

Agree or not?
I totally agree. I'm a huge Sopranos fan but overall i'd say The Wire is just as good. If not; better. It's just as engrossing as The Sopranos and it's just as well written. It's hard to compare them directly because they're very different but quality-wise they're both very good. Except The Wire seems to be getting better with each new season while The Sopranos (IMO) seemed to get worse after season 3.

Season 1 (of The Wire) was very good and if you're at all interested you should really start watching it there rather than try to pick it up now. Season 2 was just as good but I never really got into the whole 'dockworkers' thing so that was my least favourite season. Seasons 3 and 4 was honestly some the very best television I've ever seen. Just gob-smackingly good.

I watch a whole lot of TV, but I never watched The Sopranos. I did watch 2 seasons of The Wire, and season 1 was very very good.

This is neither here nor there, but I recently finished watching the entire season of Buffy the vampire slayer...and right now i'd say that is the best series i've ever seen.
I never got into Buffy. I watched a few episodes but I just can't get into Sci-Fi or Fantasy or anything like that.

^ Yeah, I can't get into fantasy shows either.

It looks like I'm gonna have to give The Wire a try. I loved the Sopranos but the thing is I saw them all after the series was over so I didn't have to wait years for new seasons.

Firecat, I recommend the Sopranos for sure. I didn't bother with it for a while 'cause I figured something so popular cannot be that great. The best thing about the Sopranos is the amount of character development for all of the dozens of main and supporting cast.

I enjoyed it not only because it was a great mix of gratuitous, funny and dramatic but also because you really do get a sense of the conflicted personality of Tony Soprano. You really can't help but love him even though you know he has killed so many in the most violent ways possible.

I digress... I shall give The Wire a try. Everything else from HBO I've seen has blown off my proverbial socks, so we'll see.

The best thing about the Sopranos is the amount of character development for all of the dozens of main and supporting cast.
That's the main difference between the two; The Sopranos was very much a character study but The Wire is more about the story. The characters are interesting and they do develop to a degree but the main thing you're interested in is how they will drive the story forward.

That's another thing to note: There's only one, big, complex storyline in The Wire per season and it continues on through each episode, unlike The Sopranos which sort of had a different thing going on each week (as well as a few on-going storylines like Big Pussy and Tony's Mother and what not).

Gotta start watching The Wire now, just finished watching Sopranos seasons 1-6 couple weeks ago. Hopefully this series will fill the emptiness Sopranos left, damn it was a great series...

I too felt distraught when I ran out of Sopranos episodes to watch... it just felt weird not getting my daily dose. Then I found out about Dexter and forgot all about The Sopranos.

Hopefully this series will fill the emptiness Sopranos left, damn it was a great series...

I've watched episodes 2 and 3 now. It's really building up but at the same time you can tell that because it's going to be the last season they're also winding it down.

I'm so glad Omar is back now! Gotta love Omar!

I can't wit to see what he'll do in episode 4 but I know it's going to be awesome! Speaking of which; I'm downloading it right now!

I'm so glad Omar is back now! Gotta love Omar!
Same here!

I've downloaded a torrent that contains all the 'for review only' copies of the episodes right up to episode 7. I've watched them all already so now I have to wait weeks for episode 8. Unless more episodes are leaked...

Anyway, even with a bad leg Omar still kicks ass! I couldn't believe he just jumped out of that window like that!

I can't wait to see how this all ends!!

/bleh, two exclamation points... I feel so dirty.
//Oh No! Slashies! I can't sink any lower!
//Next I'll be doing all this shit: /o/ /b/. Truthfully? I don't even know what those symbols mean.

Me: No Boss, how do you sleep at night?
No Boss: On a big pile of green blobs with lots of beautiful ladies.

:tumbleweed:

Well, it's all over now. The final episode has aired. I gotta say I feel a bit disappointed in how it all panned out. It was weird how anticlimactic the whole thing was. All the stories had to come to a close but they all just fell flat. It was like they just pulled the rug out from underneath every story.

And I do mean spoiler!

Omar just gets shot in the head very randomly and suddenly with no confrontation with Marlo. There was no trial for Marlo's crew and they all just went straight to jail - except Marlo. The homeless murder thing just kind of petered out without a lot happening. And nothing really came of Templeton's bullshit stories. It all just kind of fell flat and wasn't very satisfying.

The very, very end was quite good tho - It was like the *exact* opposite of the ending to The Sopranos. There was a little montage showing what happened to all the characters over the next few months and years... That was satisfying.

Overall the season felt good as it went along but in the end I wanted more of a payoff for it all. Still, the show was really left hanging after season 4 so it definitely had to come back... So it seems unfair to pick on it too much. After all, it gave closure for pretty much every character. We even got to see that Poot left 'the game' and is now working at Footlocker... This is apposed to, say, the Sopranos... which still has people wondering to this very day "What ever happened to that Russian out in the Pine Barrens?". :D

Season 5 wasn't great but it tied up all the loose ends so I'm happy.