Another GM Concept Leaked: Hummer HX Concept

Elmo187

Car(s)
Cobalt SS/SC-SN95 5.0 Stang-Toyota Corolla AE86
Courtesy of AutoBlog:
Well, there's another embargo blown. HUMMERForums dropped all the images they had of the HUMMER HX concept that was due to be officially unveiled in a scant five days, and Jalopnik followed suit. So here it is, HUMMER's Wrangler-competitor in concept form, complete with a 3.6-liter SIDI E85 FlexFuel engine which sends power to all four wheels via a six-speed auto 'box. The HX is technically a convertible, meaning that the roof panels and modular rear can open or be stowed, while the interior instruments can be reconfigured depending on the type of driving you'll be doing.
x07cc_hm001.jpg

press release
full high res gallery

Looks good to me.

I just hope it looks that good after the bean counters rape it.

And I hope it has a turbo-diesel option.

Wow I never thought I'd like a GM Hummer, but this certainly looks the part - unlike the Tonka Toy Taho. If they do make it, hopefully it will be in the same league as Land Rover and Jeep.

That fastback style reduces your usable cargo area by almost 50% - not good when you are going into the back country. Also, why is GM continuing to put those cheesy plastic grab handles on the hoods of the Hummer line? The only Hummer on which they served any purpose was the military model, and they were steel D-Rings on the chassis for helicopter airlifts. Those are made of cheap plasticized "chrome." Stop it already.

If it has a powder coated long-arm suspension and integrated winch come production day, I will eat my Irish tweed hat.

That fastback style reduces your usable cargo area by almost 50% - not good when you are going into the back country. Also, why is GM continuing to put those cheesy plastic grab handles on the hoods of the Hummer line? The only Hummer on which they served any purpose was the military model, and they were steel D-Rings on the chassis for helicopter airlifts. Those are made of cheap plasticized "chrome." Stop it already.

Luckily it's removable, and it does look cool. I never knew that about the grab handles though, it just makes the original Humvee even more badass than it already was.

I bet they'll have a couple different style rear tops, including probably a soft top. The fastback was a style even the H1 offered.

I think it's possible for the winch to be a factory option. You can get a Warn winch on a Dodge Ram Powerwagon, which has solid front and rear axles. And the Hummer H3 has optional 33" BFG AT's.

Man, that thing is badass looking. :eek:

I bet they'll have a couple different style rear tops, including probably a soft top. The fastback was a style even the H1 offered.

I think it's possible for the winch to be a factory option. You can get a Warn winch on a Dodge Ram Powerwagon, which has solid front and rear axles. And the Hummer H3 has optional 33" BFG AT's.

At Jeep you can get Warn bumpers and winches, but they are after market accessories sold through the parts shop and don't come that way from the factory. Is the Power Wagon any different? You can get all that stuff installed by the dealer, but not by the factory (at least at Jeep, which is also by Chrysler).

The fastback on the original H1 was a carryover from the scout car configuration of the military Hummer. Also, the "fastback" on the H1 was about twice as wide, twice as long and was only sloped part of the way. The more gradual slope with the vertical drop gives more space inside.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/08/humvee1.jpg
You can see the slope-back on this marine model. The weapon being fired is a TOW Missile.

Just for fun, here's a V-22 Osprey demonstrating what those D-Rings are really for:
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/08/V22Humvee.jpg

At Jeep you can get Warn bumpers and winches, but they are after market accessories sold through the parts shop and don't come that way from the factory. Is the Power Wagon any different? You can get all that stuff installed by the dealer, but not by the factory (at least at Jeep, which is also by Chrysler).
Nope, the Powerwagon is a special edition Dodge Ram and comes from the factory with a LOT of good stuff.

ext_2500_quadcab_phtgal_01.jpg

345-horsepower 5.7-liter HEMI? V8 engine
Electronically locking front and rear differentials
Electronically disconnecting front stabilizer bar
12,000-pound Warn? winch
33-inch BF Goodrich? All-Terrain T/A?KO tires
Long-travel Bilstein? shock absorbers
Most capable off-road pickup
Lowest axle ratio in its class
http://www.dodge.com/en/2008/ram_2500/models/qc_powerwagon/index.html

The fastback on the original H1 was a carryover from the scout car configuration of the military Hummer. Also, the "fastback" on the H1 was about twice as wide, twice as long and was only sloped part of the way. The more gradual slope with the vertical drop gives more space inside.

[snip]
You can see the slope-back on this marine model. The weapon being fired is a TOW Missile.

Just for fun, here's a V-22 Osprey demonstrating what those D-Rings are really for:
[snip]
Well, this thing is just a concept, so it's more about looks then anything else. But I think if GM keeps up the good trends they've shown with the CTS, Malibu, G8, etc. then this baby Hummer should do well against the Wrangler. Although I'm not sure about the axle setup. I would hope for solid front and rear, but that's probably a pipe dream.

Looks cool, but I like the Rubi better.

If this thing proves off road worthy, it'll get my vote for the cool truck of the year.

Looks much better than an FJ Cruiser. Will probably be better in every way too.

Looks awesome, wonder how long till someone pimps it, 22" chromes and all that bollocks.

Looks awesome, wonder how long till someone pimps it, 22" chromes and all that bollocks.

Is there an automotive equivalent of Rule 34 for that?

I'm sure that GM has already done it for us, just to show that you can "be rollin' on da bling wit da 34 dubs" .... or something.

They enter the dealer, say they wanna a new Hummer hummer and it should be pimped.
I think it takes about 5 seconds.

Wheels, door hinges and the way the wheel arches are just visibly bolted on look fucking awesome.