2008 Line-Up (Rumour Mill)

Kovalainen promised equal treatment

17 December 2007

Heikki Kovalainen insists that he's been promised equal status to Lewis Hamilton at McLaren in 2008. The Finn replaces Fernando Alonso who endured a fractious relationship with Hamilton last season.

"One thing I wanted to establish before signing anything was that I'd be treated equally," Kovalainen told the BBC. "I think we can fight on the track as much as we can, but off the track we can laugh about it."

Source

If that's the case, then we should see some good battles between Kovi and Hamilton in 2008. Also, McLaren said they've signed Kovi 'long term' does anyone have any details on how many years 'long term' is?

^^ I'd guess more than 2 or more. He also said they'd be no off-track fighting, which last year kind of ruined this for McLaren

oh and the spying didn't help....

Santander doesn't really care. I think they are targeting UK anyway since Abbey is a subsidiary.

I guess Alonso was lucky to win his 2 WDCs as well then, having the best car, having the undisputed no #1 status while giving Fisi inferior equipment. etc etc.

They might give "emotional" support to one of the two drivers, but unlike Renault, McLaren have always given equal equipment to both the drivers. Even when it comes to engines, Merc chooses the best two out of the batch and then McLaren pick sticks to randomly assign the engines to the drivers at each race. Renault on the other hand has handed Alonso revised Spec B's all the time while Fisi had to use the old car.

anyone whos watched F1 for a long time knows.... to win the WDC you need to be THE best driver in the field and also drive THE best car in the field from THE best team in the field

thats how its been for ages.

senna, prost, schumacher, alonso... all had the best, most reliable cars from the best teams in the pit lane and theyre all the best drivers the sport has seen.

it rarely works without having the best of everything.... i thik Hill and Jaques were the only exceptions because IMO they werent the best drivers (schumacher was) but they drove by far and away the best cars.

theres no real luck in it, the best talents end up at the best teams.... hamiltons not lucky he got a seat at mclaren and gets to drive the best car, thats not luck. he got the seat and the best car because he is one of the best natural talents out there.

Exactly. You dont just fall into a top F1 seat by accident. I've no doubt that McLaren will provide equal equipment to the best of their ability. They've always done that, and its up to the driver to find the advantage over his teammate.

Source

If that's the case, then we should see some good battles between Kovi and Hamilton in 2008. Also, McLaren said they've signed Kovi 'long term' does anyone have any details on how many years 'long term' is?
good, the problem with McLaren wasn't the equal treatment, it was Alonso's nagging on how he should be number 1.

HondaF1 - any word if Marco Andretti is going to do some testing for Honda in the off season like last year?

Wouldnt be suprised if he does, and then gets signed up for 2009 to replace Rubens.

Also, Im sure Heikki will fit in brilliantly at McLaren, cos don't forget, Ron is very partial to Finns.

Wouldnt be suprised if he does, and then gets signed up for 2009 to replace Rubens.

I would be extremely suprised. He's had a pretty bad season in Indy this year, very inconsistent. Ideally he should move to GP2, because he really doesn't seem ready for F1 yet.

I would be extremely suprised. He's had a pretty bad season in Indy this year, very inconsistent. Ideally he should move to GP2, because he really doesn't seem ready for F1 yet.

He will get some testing miles still.

Ralf Schumacher takes sabbatical
27 December 2007

Ralf Schumacher expects he will have to take a sabbatical in 2008. The German doesn't expect to race in Formula 1 next year, but doesn't rule out a year in a different racing series.

"I will take a break from Formula 1 in 2008 as things look right now," Ralf Schumacher told Motorsport-total.com. "I've got three difficult years at Toyota behind me and Force India is not an option for me. The team starts from scratch so that isn't the right option for me I think."

Schumacher could return to Formula One in 2009. "Theoretically it is possible to return in 2009 but it won't be easy. Formula 1 is not waiting for anyone."

Source

:banana:

Hey Ralf, it's only a sabbatical if you come back.

Which you won't.

Which fills me full of happy.

FIA reveals 2008 F1 drivers and teams

04 January 2008

On Friday afternoon the FIA announced the eleven teams and its drivers for the upcoming 2008 Formula One World Championship. The two only surprises were the names of Takuma Sato and Anthony Davidson on the list. The duo were not announced yet by the team as the team's 2008 drivers.

The full 2008 Formula One World Championship entry list:

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
1. Kimi Raikkonen
2. Felipe Massa

BMW-Sauber F1 Team
3. Nick Heidfeld
4. Robert Kubica

ING Renault F1 Team
5. Fernando Alonso
6. Nelson Piquet Jr.

AT&T Williams
7. Nico Rosberg
8. Kazuki Nakajima

Red Bull Racing
9. David Coulthard
10. Mark Webber

Panasonic Toyota Racing
11. Jarno Trulli
12. Timo Glock

Scuderia Toro Rosso
14. Sebastien Bourdais
15. Sebastian Vettel

Honda Racing F1 Team
16. Jenson Button
17. Rubens Barrichello

Super Aguri F1 Team
18. Takuma Sato
19. Anthony Davidson

Force India Formula One Team
20. Adrian Sutil
21. TBA

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
22. Lewis Hamilton
23. Heikki Kovalainen

Source

Expect an announcement shortly for Fisichella to take the second seat at Force India.

Last edited:
Super Aguri hasn't actually confirmed its drivers, so there's a slim chance that Sato or Davidson will be dumped for a pay-driver if the team hits financial trouble and trouble in the customer car row. And the second Force India seat will be announced on Jan 11th (next Friday).

EDIT: How many petitions are out there, on the Interweb, asking Mosley to get his arse out of the FIA president seat? And he's ignoring all of them...

Last edited:
Apparently the FIA decides who drives now as well!

Ralf Schumacher expects he will have to take a sabbatical in 2008. The German doesn't expect to race in Formula 1 next year, but doesn't rule out a year in a different racing series.

OMG, if he tries to go to NA$CAR I will laugh my head off!

Fisichella signs for Force India

08/01/2008

An extremely reliable source informs Pitpass that Giancarlo Fisichella will be officially confirmed as a Force India driver within the next two days, ending months of speculation.

The Italian, who made his F1 debut in 1996 with Minardi, will partner Adrian Sutil, with Tonio Liuzzi joining the team as test driver.

Before Christmas there was speculation that Fisichella would have to buy his drive with the Indian team, a rumour quickly denied by his manager Enrico Zanarini. According to our source Fisichella is not paying for his drive, however, as part of the deal Zanarini will be expected to find some backing for the team.

We also understand that Liuzzi's position has been financed by Red Bull.

As we said, this is not official, however, we do expect Force India to confim everything within the next forty-eight hours.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=33630

If true, a VERY VERY good drive line up for Force India. Very impressed indeed.

Mr Klien must be absolutely furious though, particularly as Liuzzi got the test drive with Red Bull backing.

We'll find out tomorrow...

Force India have revealed that they will confirm their 2008 driver line-up on Thursday. The team, who are part-owned by Indian billionaire Dr Vijay Mallya, had originally planned to announce their drivers before Christmas.

Adrian Sutil, who raced for the former Spyker team in 2007, is expected to retain his seat, after his name was submitted by the team for the FIA?s 2008 championship entry list. But there are several potential candidates for the team?s second cockpit, the team having tested drivers including Christian Klien, Vitantonio Liuzzi, Ralf Schumacher and Giancarlo Fisichella during December

The Force India announcement will be made at 1900 hours IST (Indian Standard Time), which is five and a half hours ahead of GMT.

Source