One amazing driving road. *Pics*

Eunos_Cosmo

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'84 Mazda RX7, '12 Mazda 2, '99 Porsche Boxster
Amalfi Coast Italy. Highly recommended, just watch out for the Buses!!!!

mappa_minori_maiori.jpg

Italy2539.jpg

Italy2530.jpg

Italy2526-1.jpg

Italy2515.jpg

Italy2491.jpg

Italy2485.jpg

Italy2469.jpg

Italy2464.jpg

Dont flame for the gloves, it was very cold out! (Plus...come on....alfa romeo, italian coast...)

GT4 anyone? :razz:

That was the island of capri, which I didnt quite get to. I saw it though!!! Also, I drove through and walked on the roads of the track Cittia Di Aria also from GT4. Thats in Assisi.

Your post made me hate my life in that I live no where near a place so beautiful or one that sells Alfa Romeos...

/sad panda.

Been there. Beautiful road, although it's always nerve wracking to ride alonbg when your half-blind grandfather's behind the wheel. He scraped the rock once while inching by a bus and some moron in a fiat tipo nailed our mirror with her's on the road up to Ravello.

Did you really need those gloves? :p

:nod:

159 JTDM not sure what the M means, but it was...."predictably slow" but handled rather well I thought.

The M means multijet direct injection, while the others have electric direct injection.

Did you have the 120 or 150 hp version, post some pictures of the ride! :)

I can't be sure. It was a 1.9 but the hood release was not functioning...which my conspiracy mind attributes to the rental agency to prevent tampering. Here are some pics.
Italy2051.jpg

Italy2187.jpg

Italy2050.jpg

What a trooper that car was, i loved it! Got me through the worst of italy...naples....without breaking a sweat. Same can't be said for me though. I'm sure avanti can attest, but Italian driving is NOT for the faint of heart.

About the driving gloves, it was below freezing so I was wearing them before I got in the car. Just felt good to drive in them so I left them on :D

I'll give a brief "road test" of the car.

I'll start by talking about the styling, because it is impeccable. Guigaro really did a good job on this one. Looks very exotic, but does not lose purposeful look that it has. The interior is a continuation of that sort of form following function theme as everything is laid out nearly perfectly (for the driver at least) and the secondary gauges located in the main console are just awesome to look at. Its very comfortable too, shrinking even all day long journeys, never making you ache or go numb anywhere you shouldn't.....

Ride and handling. Now this is the very first Alfa I've driven, but I can safely conclude that it is full of....soul and passion. Minor bumps in the road are felt only, and very accurately, in the precise steering. Larger imperfections (there were some curbs and speed bumps hit a bit too quickly) far from shake the car out of composure. You feel it, but the car shrugs it off and absorbs most of the discomfort for you. Turn in is as sharp and predictable and the steering effort is absolutely perfect; enabling absolute control of the front end. I never pushed the car too hard (unfamiliar roads) so I really have no way of knowing how it handles at the limit but body roll is controlled very nicely and there is plenty of grip to go around. Pedals are placed ideally for spirited driving, and heel and toe is only hampered by the (very) slow revving engine.

Braking feel is about as good as I've ever felt, not to hard or soft and the brakes are fairly strong although I did detect some fade going down a mountain road rather "enthusiastically," but that is completely suspected of a normal car. Again I never pushed to hard so it is difficult to say how good the brakes really are.

Engine. To me this was the only downside. It was a diesel, so the faults are obvious and I won't delve into them; you guys already know. The fuel economy was better than I expected, I averaged 41mpg at 90mph for 300 miles on the autostrada, which is definitely impressive considering how much weight it was lugging around! Power was adequate and the car probably was faster than all the panda's, punto's, and multipla's running around so I doubt a streetlight battle would be humbling, however impossible that proposition would seem. The shifter feels great and the action is the same, very smooth and mechanical feeling, although you get 3rd sometimes when you want first. (had an embarrassing stall because of this) I wish the gear ratios were more linearly spaced, the way its setup can make downshifting tricky, but not impossible.

Everything on the 159 just sort of comes together and forms one hell of a car. I was sad to have to turn it back in. It has reaffirmed by conviction to getting a car with handling and braking prowess over raw power so I think I will be looking for an Integra GSR. If anybody is considering buying a 159....do it. I can't imagine how good a GTA model would be.

Last edited:
High res edited pic.

2002334473335877626_rs.jpg

starfox07 said:
The shifter feels great and the action is the same, very smooth and mechanical feeling, although you get 3rd sometimes when you want first. (had an embarrassing stall because of this) I wish the gear ratios were more linearly spaced, the way its setup can make downshifting tricky, but not impossible.

I have the same feeling about the car I drive. The gear lever is just not as precise as it should be. But, You can get used to it.

Great car and great country.

Looks a bit like the Great Ocean Road, west of Melbourne. :cool:

Hopefully it doesn't have the same amount of traffic. :p

Oh yea? Well I've got ... this ....

sandhills-whitman-rd.jpg

... and a bumpsteering, automatic '78 Fairmont with shit brakes ... :cry:

Heh, great pictures starfox. I've been most places in the US, I should try to get to Europe now.