370+ BMWs destroyed when the ship carrying them tipped.

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
The Courage tipped today at the port in Jersey City causing major damage to over 300 BMWs not including 70+ BMWs that were total losses.

a majority of the destroyed vehicles were M3s (mostly in dark blue) with a variety of 3ers and 1ers smashed up as well. A small number of the cars destroyed had German Tourist plates on them, those European delivery customers will NOT be getting their cars back.

If you were expecting your M3 or e90/92 in the next month, you're going to be in for a sad surprise.

those cars that were a total loss will be crushed, I asked a BMW rep, he stated that they will not be auctioned as there is a liability for letting those cars on the road. The shipping company's insurance is footing the bill, I do not know how they will handle those cars that are already owned by the European Delivery customers.

Those cars with light damage will be repaired at the Elizabeth Receiving facility and sold through BMW's dealer network as new cars.

IMG00059.jpg

IMG00058.jpg

IMG00054.jpg

Huh? "Those cars with light damage will be repaired at the Elizabeth Receiving facility and sold through BMW's dealer network as new cars."

Is this legal?

Poor beemers... :(

"a majority of the destroyed vehicles were M3s"

*dies*

Huh? "Those cars with light damage will be repaired at the Elizabeth Receiving facility and sold through BMW's dealer network as new cars."

Is this legal?

Poor beemers... :(

Of course. See that 1-series in the 3rd picture. All it needs is a new fuel filler door, and it will be ready for the showrooms again.

Awww - Poor M3s. On the legality of the light damage it depends how light. I doubt (or at least hope) none of the cars pictured would be repaired and sold on, But you never know, it is BMW after all

That is really sad, that is a great loss to us knowing that many M3s died, we shall remember them.

Someone had to do it:

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/12/failboat.jpg
:p

I'd be a little pissed off to find out my new car already had a damage history.

I hope they don't resell anything that has damage past body panels as brand new. I mean they could sell them for a lower price, but I doubt that will happen.

hmmm I wonder where they will be crushed, perhaps I can give a guy $100 to give me the m3's v8 ;)

Maybe BMW should invest in a better cargo ship. I swear this isn't the first time I heard of damaged BMWs on a cargo ship. Last time the ship actually sank.

Imagine that call. "Hello sir, we have some news about your new M3." You would want to kill them all for their failboat.

can't believe there going to crush them, i'd take a M3s driver seat if nothing else :p

Maybe BMW should invest in a better cargo ship. I swear this isn't the first time I heard of damaged BMWs on a cargo ship. Last time the ship actually sank.

Wasn't the one that sank actually carrying Volvos?
There was also the case with the Mazdas sinking in the Pacific

Last edited:
Wasn't the one that Actually sank carrying Volvos?
There was also the case with the Mazdas sinking in the Pacific

I remember another one with BMWs since the first instinct I got from the headline was "Not again." :lol:

Is this legal?

Yes, because they are neither registered to a dealer or a personal owner, therefore no one has taken delivery of it yet, therefore no one owns it.

When I bought my current car new I spent an hour inspecting it before signing anything. Essentially, if you do not notice it, the dealer is not obligated to point it out.

Sad to see it, specially the M3's.
If the damage is really light, and is something trivial like a bumper or maybe some lights, I don't see a problem in selling repaired cars as new...

Oh my god. Let people buy the motors at least!!!! Ugh, retard car companies. Who would not like to put that motor in an E30?

I am pretty sure those car that will be reconditioned are in good shape, if not BMW would most likely find themselves footing the warranty repair bill.