Twins, separated at birth... and then marry.

fbc

Retired Moderator
Car(s)
2006 MY07 Astra SRi Turbo
What are the odds?

Unwitting incest a 'tragedy'

Twins who were separated at birth and raised by different families met later and married but were forced to break up when they discovered their true identities, a British legislator said on Friday.

"It's a tragedy for the couple who are involved, a terrible tragedy. Everyone's hearts will go out to people caught up quite unwittingly in a case of incest of this kind," David Alton, a member of Britain's upper House of Lords, told BBC radio.

Alton first raised the case during debate on a proposed new law on in vitro fertilisation (IVF). He says it highlights the need for children to know who their parents are.

He fears that under the new law, the biological identity of one parent of a child born as a result of IVF could be removed from the birth certificate, creating the potential for similar tragic mistakes to occur.

Alton told parliament last month he had heard about the twins from a High Court judge who had dealt with the case.

"It involved the normal birth of twins who were separated at birth and adopted by separate parents," said Alton, who has no party affiliation. "They were never told that they were twins."

"They met later in life and felt an inevitable attraction" and they got married, he said.

"When they did come to know their true identities it led to their having to separate and also to a lot of heartbreak," Alton said on Friday. News reports said their marriage was annulled.

No further information was available about the twins or where they were from.

"This isn't a regular occurrence but it could become one with large numbers of people now being born by IVF and not knowing their true identities," Alton said.

The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill, now working its way through the British parliament, recognises same-sex couples as legal parents of children conceived through the use of donated sperm, eggs or embryos.

"The government ... have not accepted the argument that you should have the right to know who your biological father is on the birth certificate," Alton said.

"It would be a terrible act of deception, with the state colluding in that deception, to remove the biological identity of your father from the birth certificate," he added.

Pam Hodgkins, head of a group that helps adults affected by adoption, said the story of the twins was very tragic.

"It is a lesson that we need to learn and apply to the situation of donor-conceived children," she told Sky News.

"Whilst ... nowadays it would be most unusual for siblings to be separated ... the risk of secrecy affecting the lives of people born as a result of egg and sperm donation is exactly the same as the risks that have affected adopted people in the past," she said.

Source

Pretty damn sad - I wonder how this will affect future relationships.

Well if they lived in the sound this wouldn't have been a problem.

Apart from some genetic issues, I don't see what would be so bad about it...IF they knew they were twins all along, thats another question.

Apart from some genetic issues, I don't see what would be so bad about it...IF they knew they were twins all along, thats another question.
Uh...how about the FINDING OUT PART???!? :barf:

Honestly: if they never found out, they could have lived a happy life together. If they were raised as complete strangers, what is all the fuss about? It all in our heads. If they choose to be in a incestuous relationship, that's a psychological issue. In this case we're discussing, it's more about morale and tradition.

I heard there moving to Norfolk so they fit in.

Last edited:
I heard there moving to Redruth, Cornwall so they fit in (I am aware only about 2 people will find this funny)

You should have said Norfolk, then everyone could have joined in the merriment.

Redliner said:
Honestly: if they never found out, they could have lived a happy life together. If they were raised as complete strangers, what is all the fuss about? It all in our heads. If they choose to be in a incestuous relationship, that's a psychological issue. In this case we're discussing, it's more about morale and tradition.
epp_b said:
^ You are a seriously disturbed individual.

I agree with Redliner. The parents chose to separate them at birth. They never grew up knowing each other. Did they even know they were twins for all of their lives?

Peter3hg said:
anti-net said:
I heard there moving to Redruth, Cornwall so they fit in (I am aware only about 2 people will find this funny)
You should have said Norfolk, then everyone could have joined in the merriment.

:lol::lol::lol:

There are SEVERE health issues that come from children born of incest. Go look into the Amish, their children have huge problems with illness and genetic disorders.

No genetic diversity leads to disease.

There are SEVERE health issues that come from children born of incest. Go look into the Amish, their children have huge problems with illness and genetic disorders.

I talked about it im my first post on this thread, but I don't agree with you. Children born of an incestous relationship have a higher CHANCE of developing genetic disorders, but they're not necessarily afflicted with them. The Amish are an endogamic population and that's another thing.
Sorry to get technical, but as an "almost Biologyst" (will probably get my degree this year) I can't help but get carried away when talking about those things. :lol:

Or have a look at the english royal family..

What I want to know is, why were the children separated? I honestly can't see how anyone would be willing to do so.

I talked about it im my first post on this thread, but I don't agree with you. Children born of an incestous relationship have a higher CHANCE of developing genetic disorders, but they're not necessarily afflicted with them. The Amish are an endogamic population and that's another thing.
Sorry to get technical, but as an "almost Biologyst" (will probably get my degree this year) I can't help but get carried away when talking about those things. :lol:

Oh I agree with you 100% it's all "chance." It's one I'd personally not want to take.

Or have a look at the any European royal family..

Fixed :p I always found it funny how people will laugh at American rednecks for loving their cousins a bit to much, but it seems to be perfectly acceptable for someone with land and title to do it :???:

Didn't Nicholas II (last Czar) have a son with a genetic disorder brought on due to the "purity of their blood"?

Last edited:
Fixed :p I always found it funny how people will laugh at American rednecks for loving their cousins a bit to much, but it seems to be perfectly acceptable for someone with land and title to do it :???:

The King of Sweden imported his wife, so their kids seems to be alright.. And the youngest "princess" is sort of a babe..
Prinsesse_Madeleine_111796a.jpg

She's the one on the right...

I should hope so, otherwise Sweden's famous reputation of the land of the babes would be severly compromised. I'm glad it hasn't.

Though she could be a GILF, I suppose...or even a GGILF.

The King of Sweden imported his wife, so their kids seems to be alright.. And the youngest "princess" is sort of a babe..

Wow, can you say fuckable, money, boobs and looks. Damn she looks delicious.

Those are nice :p

I would love to see a list *hint hint* of how all the monarchs and how they relate. I'll skim on wikipedia and see things like how the current King of Sweden is 186 in line for the British crown.