370+ BMWs destroyed when the ship carrying them tipped.

Wow, that is very tragic indeed. All those M3s!?! Is the news local? I can't find anything about it on the web as of yet.

Now the ship carrying my car will get jinxed in the next couple weeks :lol:

Last edited:
Ouch!

Poor BMW's!! They should get a better shipping company.

Look at this on the bright side,

If they'll sell the (lightly) damaged cars with a discount then you can pick one up for cheap!

Can I pick up one of the 4 liter V8s?

"Those cars with light damage will be repaired at the Elizabeth Receiving facility and sold through BMW's dealer network as new cars."

Is this legal?
Wow...don't buy a new BMW in the next year or two.

Yes, because they are neither registered to a dealer or a personal owner, therefore no one has taken delivery of it yet, therefore no one owns it.
Now that's what I call a technicality. One of those stupid ones that lets you basically get away with doing something illegal.

those cars that were a total loss will be crushed, I asked a BMW rep, he stated that they will not be auctioned as there is a liability for letting those cars on the road.
What? So auction them off as "parts" or "spares". Crushing them is a foolish waste of money.

That's a sad story........but there is always the possibility that some of the cars might be sold as a demo or something. Canadians, prepare to head down south for the M3's, for cheap!!

What? So auction them off as "parts" or "spares". Crushing them is a foolish waste of money.
I'd have to agree with BMW on this one. If someone used a part from one of those cars and it failed and caused a crash then BMW would probably have a big lawsuit on their hands. Honda is doing basically the same thing with the motorcycles they use for the safety course here. The instructor said the bikes will all be crushed because of the liability issues that could pop up if they were sold.

Now that's what I call a technicality. One of those stupid ones that lets you basically get away with doing something illegal.

Honestly, if I were BMW, I'd crush 'em all just to avoid the possibility of warranty problems down the line.

I can see that being ok with the engines or tail lamps, but not the chassis. Short of crushing 'em and building new ones from the scraps, they will NEVER drive the same again. It's precisely why people don't want salvage/rebuild titled cars, even if they are properly pounded back in to shape, the car will never be like it was designed to be.

Setting sail for fail! Toot toot!

shit like this happens all the time, dealership simply takes the vehicle back to factory, and replace all the broken parts and sell it as a new vehicle again.

its 100% legal and if they dont point it out to you, you wont even be able to tell. This kind of thing happens quite often. Still..... pity about the M3s

The other one some people are thinking of was in 2003. The 'Tricolor' sank in the middle of the channel taking down it's cargo of almost 3000 luxury cars including BMW, Saab but mostly Volvo vehicles. It capsized and sank after coliding with another cargo ship and was then protruding half a foot out of the water at low tide. Due to poor weather it was left like that for several days resulting in another ship crashing into it.

I'd have to agree with BMW on this one.

Don't, because its bullshit. I'm fine with them tossing out the chassis, but there are so many good parts (I'm sure) that it doens't make sense to throw it all away. The best i can hope for is that their lying like Ferrari seems to about crushing cars. Supposidly there are only 3 existing F50 GT1s, but everybody i know, knows somebody who has seen on in person, so its hard to believe only 3 of the original 6 still exist.

Just a word of warning, U.S. Politicians (California) and sometimes automakers like crushing cars a bit too much, so i wouldn't support it until you do a little of your own research. Furthermore its easy for me to hate crushing as i once owned a somewhat rare mki MR2, and a few years ago, if not still today, it was common for perfect examples to be "recycled" at a alarming rate by retarded scrapyards that didn't know the cars actual worth, this made me particularly mad as i had a crappy rusted out example

And nothing of value was lost.

I kid, I kid ;). As for the cars being scrapped, I would assume that any part that was salvageable wouldn't be crushed. Engine, interior, etc.

This I could get one of those engines into my Scion?