Here's why many Americans think small "city cars" are a bad idea... NSFW, Graphic!

Well, if im crashing into this:
truckonroad.jpg

I'd rather be in this:
2007-chevy-suburban.jpg

Than this:
smart-car-1.jpg

I'll take the "SLIGHT" chance rather than the "for sure". But thats just me. I'd rather live to be 90 than die because i want to be in the smallest possible car.

Well with that big rig going 55 and say you cross the center divide doing 65, i dont think both cars are going to save you. Just the forces on your body are going to to be tremendous. The only difference is an open casket or a closed one at your funereal.

^ Well i'm glad to hear they have improved collision safety on the newest models. Lord knows with their woeful rollover resistance you wouldn't want to try and avoid hitting anything in a hurry.

Shame your 03 model is only 3 star rated. Better keep an extra watchful eye on those peterbilts.

With Stabillitrack and air bags all around you, your pretty covered.

And even if my 03 is a 3 star, i have seen some bad wrecks with Trailblazers and let me tell you, they hold up very well and the people who were in those wrecks walked away.

Actually, heres a guy that just posted on the forum about getting in a hit and run with a semi. He was thrown air born, rolled, but walked away. Thats a 2002 LS with no side airbags.

http://img443.imageshack.**/img443/4028/30639307uz1.png

http://img174.imageshack.**/img174/3933/87812377km8.png

http://img183.imageshack.**/img183/8827/17504868wl8.png

What you have proven is that luck plays as much a part in surviving an accident as anything else. Congratulations.

But there is no escaping the fact that assuming a vehicles safety in a crash is directly proportional to it's size is sheer ignorance in its purest form.

Sorry if i have offended your good truck loving sensibilities.

So wait... WannabeSS is seriously saying you'll be safer in Chevy Tahoe/Suburban in a HEAD ON COLLISION with an 18-wheeler???

Jesus christ...

/who would want to live to be 90 anyway???
//where is Blind? This thread needs a voice of reason.

18-wheelers are almost guaranteed a death if you hit another 18-wheeler head on. We've had a few here on our highways that turned out deadly. Rig on rig ain't pretty which means a personal vehicle as a Smart or a TB or a Tahoe would be abolished by a rig unless you hit it at such an awkward angle that you glance off the rig.

No matter what you drive, you will 90% of the time be dead. What is so fucking hard about it?

The only difference between hitting an 18-wheeler head-on in a Trailblazer vs. hitting an 18-wheeler head-on in a Smart is how much bodywork the firefighters will have to cut away to retrieve the bloody chunks of your dead body.

</thread.>

Im pretty sure you'd have to be a dumbass not to pick the bigger car if your going headon into an 18 wheeler. I will take my confidence of a 5.3 V8 protecting me over, nothing, in a small little car, that would splat on the front of a big rig like a bug.

Im pretty sure you'd have to be a dumbass not to pick the bigger car if your going headon into an 18 wheeler. I will take my confidence of a 5.3 V8 protecting me over, nothing, in a small little car, that would splat on the front of a big rig like a bug.

How 'bout this... PAY FUCKING ATTENTION. If you see 40+ tons of Peterbilt coming your way aim for that corn patch/hill/wall/guard rail/kitten that will hurt less than it hitting you.

Obviously this guy wasn't even paying attention when driving, had he bothered to stay on his side of the road, he'd likely be alive.

Here is a tip, when you're behind the wheel of a car, look through the big clear thing with dead bugs on it more often then "once in a while." It could save your life.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/14/TheMoreYouKnow.jpg

How 'bout this... PAY FUCKING ATTENTION. If you see 40+ tons of Peterbilt coming your way aim for that corn patch/hill/wall/guard rail/kitten that will hurt less than it hitting you.
You know how 16 year olds get a bad rep? Here's why.

:wall:

I'd rather get the smaller car that has a better chance of swerving away from the Peterbilt than a bigger car that would flop about uselessly otherwise. I don't care if your amazing Trailblazer, the stupendous consummation of mankind's loftiest achievements, can outhandle a Chevy Suburban or something. I would rather have a better chance of avoiding an accident in a Miata.

Last edited:
You know how 16 year olds get a bad rep? Here's why.

:wall:

I'd rather get the smaller car that has a better chance of swerving away from the Peterbilt than a bigger car that would flop about uselessly otherwise. I don't care if your amazing Trailblazer, the stupendous consummation of mankind's loftiest achievements, can outhandle a Chevy Suburban or something. I would rather have a better chance of avoiding an accident in a Miata.

Some times shit happens. Like how this thread got started.

You dont have to worry about me, i dont drive on the opposite side of the road heading at big rigs. So dont take to me about that. I was just argueing the fact that you would probably have a bettter chance of surviving an accident with a big truck if your in somthing closer to its size.

I was just argueing the fact that you would probably have a bettter chance of surviving an accident with a big truck if your in somthing closer to its size.

We could argue the merits of driving a big, clumsy vehicle that absorbs the impact of the collision with a greater chance of injury vs. driving a small, agile vehicle that can swerve its way around an accident in a debate of passive vs. active safety, but I'm tired. ;)

We could argue the merits of driving a big, clumsy vehicle that absorbs the impact of the collision with a greater chance of injury vs. driving a small, agile vehicle that can swerve its way around an accident in a debate of passive vs. active safety, but I'm tired. ;)

You guys like to argue to much.

I gave my opinion, then you fought it. Get over it. i will take my big clumsy Suburban over a small useless hatchback.

Hell, i like Hummers and would probably drive one over a good chunk of the cars on the road.

Yep, i must be crazy.

You're seriously embarrassing yourself dude. Just let it go.

You guys like to argue to much.

I gave my opinion, then you fought it. Get over it.

If we didn't like to argue, then what's the point of being on the Internet?

Sheesh, somebody invoke Godwin's Law already.

Wrong. There was a large pickup head-on collision with a big-rig around the area where I live just last year. The pickup driver and passengers were instantly killed. It doesn't matter what you drive, if you collide with a big-rig, you're screwed.

Yea, I have to agree there. Even if the other car is an typical mid-size to full-size sedan, the driver probably still wouldn't survive. The big rig's mass is still 5-10 times higher. It'll crash the sedan just the same.

how on earth did he manage that on a straight road? ill have to assume he was overtakin on a single carriage way