832 GB flash HDD. I'll be in my bunk.

It's a laptop drive. Laptops need better battery life, so there you go.

I believe my dad's new laptop will have a solid state drive. Makes the boot faster and all that, plus makes the battery last longer.

Not to mention, quieter, cooler (slightly) and virtually impervious to motion, shock, and dust.

Hard drives in laptops really don't suck all that much energy...the main culprit is the LCD screen (once OLED or LED backlit screens come along, it will be less-so) but the boot-speed is just the beans (translation: good). :)

I know someone who bought a 64GB drive and put it in their brand-new laptop. The boot time was cut by 85%. That means, if it took 1:40 to boot up, it now took 15 seconds. I don't remember the real times, but I know it didn't take 1:40 for him to boot the laptop, it was just an example with easy math...but it was quicker than that. Just awesome. Not to mention, as near as I could tell, silent.

0 moving parts as with a traditional hard drive (platters, heads, etc..). Until the price comes down to being affordable, I will stick with the good ol' hard drives.

It's a laptop drive. Laptops need better battery life, so there you go.

I believe my dad's new laptop will have a solid state drive. Makes the boot faster and all that, plus makes the battery last longer.

It's a 2.5" drive. Laptop or other wise. Alienware is putting them on their ALX desktop systems in a RAID configuration.

As much as the laptop guys love the energy savings, the desktop guys love the wicked perf. increase. It's the best of BOTH worlds...but really for desktop users, it's about the speed...oh my yes...the speed.

250px-Farnsworth.png

And the noise. It would be possible to make a silent PC, but not with current hard drives.

Nevermind, he got a real hard drive. I guess it was his boss that wanted one...

I want to run two of those in RAID..

I want to run two of those in RAID..

I have a feeling that the transfer seed of two of these in a performance-RAID would reveal a bottleneck or two in your system :p