My 87 Supra - Lots of pics.

BorHor

Car(s)
Toyota Supra
My 1987 supra has been with in the family for at least 15 years. When I finally got my hands on it, it went from a daily beater to a better looking beater :lol:. I have done many mods but left the engine untouched since I have plans of swapping and don't want money to go to waste, but the exterior and suspension have changed. Here are some pics, If I post them all I will over load your computer :p
Since I am bored.. I will go through some of the steps I went through.

When I first got it.
http://img293.imageshack.**/img293/9773/supra013so.jpg
http://img49.imageshack.**/img49/6935/dscn3395ea2.jpg
Then lowered
http://img139.imageshack.**/img139/8404/dscn3400dl5.jpg
Paint comming
http://img424.imageshack.**/img424/3058/dscn3437se3.jpg
http://img291.imageshack.**/img291/9315/dscn3430xr0.jpg
PAINT!!!! and new tail lights
http://img177.imageshack.**/img177/7015/dscn3475as2.jpg
Got some rims
http://img116.imageshack.**/img116/771/dscn3510pb5.jpg
Coilovers
DSCN4843.jpg

DSCN4878.jpg

DSCN4925.jpg

Track day
mini-DSC_6052.jpg

gns3011.jpg

Got new rims
mini-IMG_3414.jpg

IMG_4460.jpg

Went drifting
Boris02R.jpg

Got new rims again - as it as today
IMG_4617.jpg

PC290385.jpg

PC290393.jpg

PC290405.jpg

PC290410.jpg

K that was fun going through memory lane. :cry:

Nice. I really like those early model Supra's.

What motor are you looking to swap in? Smallblock? :lol:

Sweet !

btw those pics you have of trackday remind me so much of a game called Lfs :)

It's a shame a lot of these cars are used as beaters, they have so much potential that seems to go co completely ignored.

I have to ask though, why not go with a nice built 7m-GTE, rather than the rather played out/expected (IMO) swap of a JZ engine? I know they got their weaknesses but 400 reliable HP is not asking a huge amount from those engines if you know what your doing from what I'm told.

Anyhow, nice ride. Do I spy late model tails?

It's a shame a lot of these cars are used as beaters, they have so much potential that seems to go co completely ignored.

I have to ask though, why not go with a nice built 7m-GTE, rather than the rather played out/expected (IMO) swap of a JZ engine? I know they got their weaknesses but 400 reliable HP is not asking a huge amount from those engines if you know what your doing from what I'm told.

Anyhow, nice ride. Do I spy late model tails?

I could build up a 7M. But I am starting to get in to drifting so a JZ platform will be a better direction. If I do go 7M I would have to do a full rebuild too so the cost will then even out. As for the 1UZ (lexus V8 ) I just want to try something different. And yes I swapped tail lights.

I liked that generation of Supra; it's the most handsome one, especially next to the WHAA LOOK AT ME silliness of the MkIV. Add my vote for putting a 1UZ into it; a V8 Supra would just be sweet.

Deep dish, non gigantic rims for the win. You got a positive rep for giving a nod to my generation. :)

Needs more stickers and a giant wing, yo!

I kid, I kid, I actually like the look of that generation. It's just a shame it has the "Supra" name on it. ;)

I could build up a 7M. But I am starting to get in to drifting so a JZ platform will be a better direction. If I do go 7M I would have to do a full rebuild too so the cost will then even out. As for the 1UZ (lexus V8 ) I just want to try something different. And yes I swapped tail lights.

first off, the 1JZ is crap. secondly, the 2JZ is an outdated, overplayed, no torque engine. third, the 1UZ is a great engine, but you'll be burning up wallets just to maintain it. and last, the 7M is cheap, EXTREMELY reliable, and hell of alot easier to get than any of those engines. i'm actually looking at a 5/7M swap for my Hachi and all i've found is low miles or remanned 5/7M's for REAL cheap.

first off, the 1JZ is crap. secondly, the 2JZ is an outdated, overplayed, no torque engine. third, the 1UZ is a great engine, but you'll be burning up wallets just to maintain it. and last, the 7M is cheap, EXTREMELY reliable, and hell of alot easier to get than any of those engines. i'm actually looking at a 5/7M swap for my Hachi and all i've found is low miles or remanned 5/7M's for REAL cheap.

Uhh no comment. :blink:

Of all those engines you mention, the 7M is the least reliable as its the only one with a major flaw. Its easy to get a 7M because many Supra and Cressida owners are sick of it blowing a head gasket and swapped it for a JZ engine, if didn't suffer from this problem it would be a very hard engine to get. If you truly are looking for a 7M you better make sure its been rebuilt, and rebuilt properly with a good head gasket. If it satisfies that criteria only then can a 7M truly be "extremely" reliable, the way they should have been. As for the 5M, while its very reliable but I don't really see why you're going through the trouble of adding very little power compared to a 4A-GE. The difference between the two is basically 30-35hp, plus the 5M sadly has very very little performance support. A 1G-GTE is a much better choice as a Toyota straight-six than a 5M for a AE86 since its a smaller engine(2.0L) while producing 185-210 hp thanks to its twin turbos.

There are certain cars I do not like, that generation of Supra is one of them. But your car has enlightened me. They actually DO look very good! I've changed my mind! Great looking car!

Very nice choice on the wheels. I Get frustrated with my American countrymen and their domestic "muscle cars" because they all have these stupid heavy chrome wheels they love so much!

Oh well, what can you do? Again, nice choice, very nice.

Nice supra, always liked this gen best. I like the current wheels, although i prefer the original wheels, I'm a huge sucker for forged alloy disc wheels (which is why i got 2 sets of forged alloys for my Merc :D). But very nicely done, you managed not to overplay it, but kept it subtle, that always gets a thumbsup from me. :thumbsup:

Lol STOP GETTING NEW WHEELS :D

3 sets is enough.

Very nice supra, much better then the (lame) 4th generation.

Have you considered a Chevrolet small block? :D (or is that a nissan-only swap?)

They can be had for under a grand, and can chuck out 400-500 horsepower with a little work.

Have you considered a Chevrolet small block? :D (or is that a nissan-only swap?)

They can be had for under a grand, and can chuck out 400-500 horsepower with a little work.
It probably can be done, but the customization work and the possibility of nearly everything needs to be changed is really what makes it an unattractive swap despite the really cheap motor. Due to the way most Toyota engines are evolutionary designs they're easier to swap than other manufacturer's engines.