What a wonderful world we live in...

I feel your pain. I have had two bikes stolen from me so far. :(

One parked outside my house, the other at a local swimming pool. The second one was secured with 8 locks (a mate and I locked
both our bicycles together and to a thick steel pole). When we came out of the pool we saw that both out bikes got knicked. And
this was right infront of the receptionist. But I've heard since, that that place was notorious for letting people steal bikes for a
piece of the profit made by selling them. No insurance either. :(

That seriously sucks. I live in a place where they like putting up huge "THIS IS A CRIME HOTSPOT! RUN TO THE HILLS!" signs everywhere and every cop is either packin' heat or a CSO who looks like the latter but isn't actually allowed to do anything and...

..the only thing stolen from me recently was a flower pot. Don't ask!

No security cameras on the gym?

Anyway, here in Belgium in the university cities, it's normal to have your bike stolen, so it's quite normal to steal one too :p I guess that's why nobody with any sense rides a bike worth more than 50 euros in such a city. I never had mine stolen though, and never stole one, but I know a lot of people who had one stolen or steal one themselves, it's not such a big deal over here. Just make sure you have one of those expensive locks, like a heavy chain or U-lock, since cables can be cut through quite easily, even with little pliers. You just need some time, but most studens rather spend ten minutes opening a lock than walking twenty minutes to their students room :p

Unlucky man, that's a seriously nice bike as well.

I live in a flat and used to leave my bike locked up downstairs, until my neighbours kids slashed the tires and nicked the seat. They'd also poured cola all over it several times.

The idea of getting a car with wee bastards like that puts me off........

That fucking sucks, I don't know why compared to the rest of Europe we have so much crime.

I blame New Labour myself, they just don't seem to care about anything put projects and "solutions" they have no drive to just get problems sorted. Utter idiots the lot of them.

I also blame the parents.

Well I rang the insurance company and they said I have to give them two quotes from two seperate shops for the total of the stuff stolen. I can tell you that is easier said than done, as some items like the Scott hubs and tyres, you cant buy! I think they are only supplied with the bike :(

You guys have no idea how depressed i am right now, whats left of the bike is just lying in my bedroom, and I have to see it all the fucking time! Plus I going through some other really bad stuff as well which I wont go into..

Oh well, its my 21st on Saturday, hopefully things will pick up by then!

Sorry man, but I hope you learn something. Don't ride a nice bike. Got to use something cheap so it isn't a big deal if it gets stolen, but it also is a big deterrent.

And if you use a U lock, you got to have it go through the frame and front wheel. Of course the rear being stolen is nuts, but I suspect it is because the bike was so nice. Cable locks generally suck because they can be easily cut. But since my bike is a POS, its all I use.

Don't ride a nice bike. Got to use something cheap so it isn't a big deal if it gets stolen, but it also is a big deterrent.

Sorry man, but thats one of the stupidest things Ive ever heard! I am a very keen mountain biker, and funnily enough, a peice of shit full sus bike from argos (a sort of buy everything place) wont do that same thing as a VERY good Scott bike!

So if you had the money to buy a Ferrari, you would buy a miata instead!? I dont think so.

Feel sorry for you man, i had my phone stolen from right in front of my face once, although i knew the person and when he came into school the next day parading my phone about as his i punched him and took it back :lol:

I live in a flat and used to leave my bike locked up downstairs, until my neighbours kids slashed the tires and nicked the seat. They'd also poured cola all over it several times.

The idea of getting a car with wee bastards like that puts me off........

Then slash their car's tires and pour bird seed on the roof :) i could think of nothing worse than slashed tires and a car covered in bird crap in a situation like that :p

Sorry man, but thats one of the stupidest things Ive ever heard! I am a very keen mountain biker, and funnily enough, a peice of shit full sus bike from argos (a sort of buy everything place) wont do that same thing as a VERY good Scott bike!

So if you had the money to buy a Ferrari, you would buy a miata instead!? I dont think so.

Sorry, since you had this parked it front of a gym, I figured you used it to commute and that is what I was talking about.

Having a nice mountain bike is great, and so is going out and using it. But it is a poor choice to commute with and leave locked up in public. If I were you, I would only use the nice bike on the trails and leave a junker tied up to get stolen.

I'm far from stupid, I just don't leave my very nice things out in public to get wrecked.

Sorry, since you had this parked it front of a gym, I figured you used it to commute and that is what I was talking about.

Having a nice mountain bike is great, and so is going out and using it. But it is a poor choice to commute with and leave locked up in public. If I were you, I would only use the nice bike on the trails and leave a junker tied up to get stolen.

I'm far from stupid, I just don't leave my very nice things out in public to get wrecked.

I can appreciate that, and wasnt having a go at you or anything (ive got s bit of a short fuse at the mo!), but I am not stupid enough to leave the bike out of sight in a back alley or anything like that. The bike rack is just to the side of the main entrance, so its in plain site!
I used to drive everywhere, but thats expensive and slow in Nottingham!