"Hammers are the tools of Pikey's."-Who said it?

Old Lace

I thought Clarkson had said it but I have this vague memory now that it was May during a challenge. Naturally, my mind's all confuddled now so I thought I would post as one of you lot would know the answer to this.

I'm sure you know what a hammer is.

Pikeys are British slang for basically a lower class, violent 'youth' as they put it these days. Like Chavs, only not.

Topgear top tip. Avoid.

EDIT: Fuck. I didn't see the 'Who Said It' part. Sorry.

Last edited:
I'm sure May said it to Clarkson when they were building the Caterham car and Clarkson wanted to use a Hammer to build it :lol:

I'm sure you know what a hammer is.

Pikeys are British slang for basically a lower class, violent 'youth' as they put it these days. Like Chavs, only not.

Topgear top tip. Avoid.

EDIT: Fuck. I didn't see the 'Who Said It' part. Sorry.

LOL. You just looked at where I was from, didn't you? ;p

No it isn't. Pikeys are 'travelling people', almost always of immigrant ancestry. Age isn't a qualification.

They don't really count as people, so when you catch one trying to steal tools from your garage you can bludgeon him to death as you please.

No it isn't. Pikeys are 'travelling people', almost always of immigrant ancestry. Age isn't a qualification.

They don't really count as people, so when you catch one trying to steal tools from your garage you can bludgeon him to death as you please.

:+1: Living in Cornwall, we have quite a few, I for one have five buried in my garden.

I'll be honest, I let to many go - I'm just _too_ kind

What's with all the pikey hate? I can understand that they may be annoying but I guess because I've never experienced them first-hand I can't really "get" it.

Or something like that. It's late and I should of been asleep hours ago.

What's with all the pikey hate? I can understand that they may be annoying but I guess because I've never experienced them first-hand I can't really "get" it.

Or something like that. It's late and I should of been asleep hours ago.

Basically, they're associated with crime and general lawlessness. They often defraud homeowners with dodgy home improvements; typically, a sub-standard driveway resurfacing, claiming that they are finishing a job in the area and have a load of tarmac going spare. My grandparents have been a victim of this. Violence as well. Some 13 year old boy in a neighbouring town earned the displeasure of some travellers and so they shot him in a drive-by shooting with a shotgun a few days later. He escaped with fairly minor injuries. Considering this was in a small rural town in Oxfordshire, it was considered almost comical. Also, they set up camps on people's land without permission, refuse to leave and generally turn the place into a rubbish dump before leaving six months later. This is the biggest complaint normally because the landowner can't forcefully evict them with months or sometimes years of legal wrangling.

More of James May's "hammer" utterances

More of James May's "hammer" utterances

It is the only time I have wished for the company of Jeremy Clarkson and his predictable suggestion that I should "just hit it with a hammer".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...VCBQ0IV0?xml=/motoring/2006/11/04/mrmay04.xml

Taking the old E-class apart was a lengthy and baffling exercise, because there was always another hidden bolt, another screw, another fiendishly recalcitrant clip. The glovebox lid, for example, would not yield even to Jeremy Clarkson and his Cotswolds Screwdriver (hammer).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...VCBQ0IV0?xml=/motoring/2007/07/14/mrmay14.xml

Basically, they're associated with crime and general lawlessness. They often defraud homeowners with dodgy home improvements; typically, a sub-standard driveway resurfacing, claiming that they are finishing a job in the area and have a load of tarmac going spare. My grandparents have been a victim of this. Violence as well. Some 13 year old boy in a neighbouring town earned the displeasure of some travellers and so they shot him in a drive-by shooting with a shotgun a few days later. He escaped with fairly minor injuries. Considering this was in a small rural town in Oxfordshire, it was considered almost comical. Also, they set up camps on people's land without permission, refuse to leave and generally turn the place into a rubbish dump before leaving six months later. This is the biggest complaint normally because the landowner can't forcefully evict them with months or sometimes years of legal wrangling.
Hah, I didn't realize you had the same problem over there. Every summer we get an army of mostly british pikeys offering shoddy deals on tarmac related work. Like this Irish idiot who got busted by the speed camera 26 times, which is more than his father who got busted only 24 times. Their excuse was that they forgot the difference between kph and mph, but the picture of the younger driver "giving the speed camera the finger" (our cameras take pictures of the front of the car) kinda rules out that excuse ;)

In total, 18 british cars have a debt of almost ? 90000 (!!) after last years "season". Most of them never pay up tho. I say we just shoot them in the face...