Five dead after car crashes off end of private airstrip

While 500hp might be too powerful for an 18 year old, I don't think there should be a law against it. There is no reason to get all knee-jerk over one isolated incident. I am very very against the concept of a couple of stupid people ruining it for the rest of us. In fact these particular stupid people at least kept their top speed run off the street and thus prevented endangering innocent lives, so I would dare say the existing laws already worked just fine. They decided to take a risk and I strongly believe that in the free world, we should be free to take such risks as long as we don't endanger non-participants with our actions.

Maybe we should go the way of most European countries and establish mandatory drivers' training.
I'd be all for something like that if they taught the right things. Ohio makes you take a driver education course if you want to get your license before you turn 18. It was the biggest waste of time and money I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing. The classroom time was spent discussing the driving handbook that I already read and passed a test on to get my permit. The drives were a complete joke. Basically I just drove the instructor around town for a few hours. I spent more time practicing parking between cones than I did driving on the roads. But worst of all there was no instruction over car control or emergency maneuvers. None whatsoever.

It simply isn't enough to teach people how not to get into bad situations in the first place. Kids are getting killed not just because of inexperience but because they were never taught how to get themselves out of trouble. What's even more troubling is that so many parents are opposed to teaching these skills because they think it might end up making their kids act reckless behind the wheel.

Well in finland all drivers receive driving instructions and practice on driving at slippery conditions (ice at winter and oil+water on aluminium plate at summer). Emergency braking, emergency maneuvers etc.

You could get rid of every car on the planet but young, stupid guys will just find another way to kill themselves.

i have to agree with this, even thinking about legislation at this point is the stupidest thing ever. Accidents like this are going to happen so long as kids wished they were older, more respectable, and more "badass" then they are. Solve how to keep young kids from feeling like they have to prove themselves and you could let them drive around at 100+ all day in 1000hp cars and no more of them would crash then you would of had on regular road on a regular day. Its all about self control, and anybody who thinks governmental control is a substitute is clearly idiotic and or mis-informed.

Reading his posts i can easily say he wasn't a bad kid, thats obvious, nor was he "stupid", he just wanted to prove that he wasn't a failure at life and in the process ended his own.

I've known tons of 16 year olds who have had 150mph+ car that they drove at those speeds, and none of them have crashed, the difference was they knew the risks, loved their lives, and thus never felt the need to force themselves to learn any faster then they actually could. Coming from somebody who has had various wipe-outs i will tell you now that trying to outpace yourself is the only way you'll crash while driving fast, that or a completely freak accident.

Disclaimer: I loathe tailgating, I'm embarrassed by "street racers", i hate dangerous dick-waging showoffs, I think road-rage is the closest equivalent to pure evil society sees on a daily basis, if Moses came back i would expect the missing 11th deadly sin to be drunk driving;no questions asked, and i think a car is probably the most dangerous object outside of a military base a person can own. However treating speed alone even remotely like any of these issues is the most idiotic and appalling political tragedies of the 20th century.

The truth is, both parties (father and son) were irresponsible and stupid.

You just don?t give a 507 Bhp car to an 18-year old driver who is inexperienced behind the wheel of ANY car, let alone a 507 Bhp car. Then you have the 18-year old trying to impress his friends without any knowledge about the car he was driving.

You just can?t help thinking that a tragedy was bound to happen at any moment.

And this is why I drive a 75hp FWD car as my first car and did a security driving training with slippery surfaces etc..

And this is also why my child won?t get a fast car (or mine ^^) for his birthday.

i bet you anything now the families of the car owners are going to sue and say something like it was too unsecured or its built too fast. and win

the board has closed

http://img508.imageshack.**/img508/4585/sfsay0.jpg
http://img508.imageshack.**/img508/4585/sfsay0.c774c3db79.jpg

damn... such tragedy what happened!!!

I guess it was just a coincidence that all three threads I visited was closed by admin as last posts + all categories has a lock next to it on the main page then.....

http://www.local6.com/news/15144329/detail.html[...]FHP officials investigating the crash said there were skid marks at the end of the runway.
... just imagine that moment. Doing 100something mph and suddenly realising the runway ends in a rather short distance ... oh boy.

As always with these "accidents" (I almost don?t dare call it that), one kid does something stupid, and gets a lot more People killed.

As sad and tragic as it is, this one surely qualifies for 2008 Darwin Awards ...

... just imagine that moment. Doing 100something mph and suddenly realising the runway ends in a rather short distance ... oh boy.

I'm sure it was the most thrilling ride of their lives.

Lol, i like to think in that situation, if i knew i was going to die, i'd let out one last "WEEEEEEEEE!" before i died.

Give your friends a little :lol: moment before death.

c'mon guys. Blak humor is ok, but that's crossing the line. Five 18-20 yr olds just got killed, it's a tragedy..