Australian version of Top Gear

Because America is the greatest fucking country ever, MOTHERFUCKER! That's why!

_41798970_usa416.jpg
22236891.jpg

USA! USA! USA! FUCK YEAH!!!

:lol:

Back on topic, the scotth_uk and tone76 videos are great. I wish you guys the best of luck.

Seriously though, don't forget the owner of this wonderful site hails from Oregon, which is nowhere near Alice Springs or the Midlands.

I can almost guarantee you that none of the Australian members live anywhere near Alice Springs. It isnt exactly the most hospitable part of Australia.

Thanks for the kind words and rep points. :thumbup: For any non-Aussies watching my vid, here's a translation of a couple of terms used:

- spew = vomit, throw up
- pov pack = base model (short for 'poverty pack')
- light beer = low alcohol (c. 2%-3% ABV) beer

Given that this is Final Gear, I don't need to explain what a Commodore is. ;)

If there are any other FG members with TGA Audition vids ... don't be shy! We wanna see 'em!!

Edit: Ooh, fan mail!

Some Douchebag said:
your a fool mate.. not funny.. look like a douche.. talk...with...huge...brakes.. and you obviously dont know anything about cars, complaining about things like the seat and indicator.. dont quit your day job dude.

Either this is someone who just submitted a video with just 10 minutes attempting of doing 'fully sick' donuts in a really sick XD Falcon, or someone who is pissed off that I'm picking on the car that he's just inherited from his Mum. :D

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Some Douchebag
your a fool mate.. not funny.. look like a douche.. talk...with...huge...brakes.. and you obviously dont know anything about cars, complaining about things like the seat and indicator.. dont quit your day job dude.

Idiot obviously doesnt have a handle on his own english, let alone any sort of car. He has as all the writing eloquence of someone who's destined for life as a concrete mixer, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Some of your jokes were pretty funny, loved the quip about the indicator stalks! Great effort! :cool:

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm not. I'm actually flattered. I figure that if he took the time to write that, then he must have been affected by it. ;)

Some of your jokes were pretty funny, loved the quip about the indicator stalks! Great effort! :cool:

Thanks. To be honest, the Astra isn't all bad news. It does handle quite well, and it feels relatively solid overall despite the lousy interior. I just wouldn't want one once the warranty expires, and I don't fancy forking out $800+ every 60,000km for a new timing belt to be fitted. :blink: I would have liked an extra couple of minutes + someone else to help with filming, but I worked with what I had to work with ... I had to cram a whole bunch of other stuff in the full video too.

Actually, there are a few pretty decent TGA Audition vids on YouTube if you have a look. I think Freehand/SBS will have their work cut out for them...

Well ... here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLmoht0d6hM

I'm not going to subject you to any more than 3 minutes of this. And - as you'll see - the real star of the show is the pickled onion ...

I want to see the rest of that! :D I loved that! I will marry you, just for that left testicle part!!! <3 I hope you make it!

It was a good audition, but you seemed to come to a conclusion without talking about the stuff in the middle. You were good, but you did seem a bit dull - no offense

You were good, but you did seem a bit dull - no offense

None taken. It's the best I could in the time that I had. Very much aware that it's essentially 'incomplete'. Oh well.

Well ... here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLmoht0d6hM

I'm not going to subject you to any more than 3 minutes of this. And - as you'll see - the real star of the show is the pickled onion ...

Like the gag about the bed spring. ;-) Very nice indeed.

Mine's finished: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=qjAGTnqH8dM

Not quite what I'd wanted, but it will have to do. Filming in 37 degree heat last weekend meant that I was running low on humour. :(

Wow, both of these are awesome! :thumbsup:

Hey tone, that douche is just that, a douche, don't listen to what he says. I thought your review was pretty humorous.

Oh, and Scott, kudos to you for getting a RS4 and a Gallardo SE.

*Gman waits for Scott and/or Tone to get the job and give him free tickets to the show* :whistle:

It was a good audition, but you seemed to come to a conclusion without talking about the stuff in the middle. You were good, but you did seem a bit dull - no offense

I have to admit, the review was shorter than I would have liked. Trouble is, I was a little too hung up on fulfilling ALL the criteria for the audition video, being:

- introduction
- best car
- worst car (Astra)
- list of stars I wanted to see in the reasonably priced car
- stunts ideas (this took a while)
- what drives me nuts in the world of cars (this took a very long time :D)

All in 10 minutes.

Ideally, the Astra deserved at least 4 minutes, not 2.5. The extra 1.5 minutes could have been used to describe its few good attributes, as well as some extra driving footage ... the reason for the very minimal low quality driving footage explained in the next paragraph.

The other things I would have liked as a minimum would have been two extra helpers (one camera, one driver) as I would have like to have had some proper driving footage filmed from a chase car.

As for the rest of the video ... I'll just be a tease and leave it as it is. ;) But thanks for your interest!

Edit: :oops: you were referring to Scott! You know what I reckon would be really awesome? Scott presenting a video written by me ... hehehe! Seriously though, massive respect to anyone who can pull a Gallardo, an RS4 and a helicopter out of thin air at short notice. :D

Last edited:
Messed that one up! :p

Nice work everyone! Don't forget, they'll be judging the way you present your car(s)more than the cinematography and music so don't get too caught up on how it looks. If you think the filming was a bit shoddy but you presented the content well then you should still be in contention.

tone76, I'm pretty certain that your Astra isn't as bad as my '99 Corolla hatch. It doesn't believe that corners exist when it's wet...or stop signs..or traffic lights..or other cars. I can even wobble the center console with my left leg if I lean on it slightly. What's going for it? The fact that, as a hatch, it can fit more things into the boot than my mum's, more expensive, Ford Fairmont sedan. And that includes when you fold the back seats down. That's about it.

Best of luck!

I went down to Freehand today to hand in my entry. There was a young english bloke sitting in the reception accepting submissions. They had barrels and barrels of them behind him.

The guy that I got talking to managed to get a Pagani Zonda for his clip!!!!!

I went down to Freehand today to hand in my entry.

Did you pop down there in the chopper? :D

scotth_uk said:
The guy that I got talking to managed to get a Pagani Zonda for his clip!!!!!

Now that's just showing off. :lol:

tone76, I'm pretty certain that your Astra isn't as bad as my '99 Corolla hatch. It doesn't believe that corners exist when it's wet...or stop signs..or traffic lights..or other cars.

Well, the Astra DOES handle quite well. Better than my wife's Jazz. That's about the only thing going for it.

What's going for it? The fact that, as a hatch, it can fit more things into the boot than my mum's, more expensive, Ford Fairmont sedan. And that includes when you fold the back seats down. That's about it.

That, and it will probably outlive your mum's more expensive Fairmont by a fair margin. You can't kill a Corolla with an axe. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if your Corolla kept on putting along for many years after that Astra has totally decomposed.

Last edited:
There's only one Pangani Zonda in OZ isn't there? Some guy with a big yellow one in Sydney? Would definately love to see that :drool: Did like the Lambo too!
Tone and Scott you both did a really good job and you guys definately have guts and talent!!! I on the other hand have none and I think I would be the wrong sex too :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I saw that Zonda a while back in Atarmon in Sydney when some guy won a ride in it. Have seen a few in London and Germany, but seeing one at Bunnings is a different story.

and I think I would be the wrong sex too :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Rubbish, most car enthusiasts are hormone driven males who'd give anything (maybe a left testicle; Tone you'll have to improvise...) to see women and cars come together on a show such as Top Gear! Well, me anyway.

That, and it will probably outlive your mum's more expensive Fairmont by a fair margin. You can't kill a Corolla with an axe. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if your Corolla kept on putting along for many years after that Astra has totally decomposed.

Not if I have any say in the matter :mrgreen:

The Fairmont is at a disadvantage though. At the last place it was taken to to get serviced, the mechanic was a pimply-faced work experience kid who broke a spark plug which crumbled into the piston chamber. Needless to say, the engine's never been right since.

I'm taking my Corolla in for a service tomorrow...I wonder if they accept work experience students...?

Rubbish, most car enthusiasts are hormone driven males who'd give anything (maybe a left testicle; Tone you'll have to improvise...) to see women and cars come together on a show such as Top Gear! Well, me anyway.

I hope you're being ironic.