help a struggling wannabe hardware geek

-Cpt. J.-

Car(s)
none
Hi people I have two, yes two, questions.
1. What's the normal temperature of a CPU when under heavy load?
2. Where can I read a review of Inno3D 8800GT graphics card? Been looking for one but all I find is reviews of the 8800GT OC-version.

All help greatly appreciated.

1. What's the normal temperature of a CPU when under heavy load?

Depends totally on what model of CPU it is. They all run differently.

2. Where can I read a review of Inno3D 8800GT graphics card? Been looking for one but all I find is reviews of the 8800GT OC-version.

Never heard of Inno3D so I can't say about the quality of those cards, but the chipset itself is awesome. Just make sure to spend the extra for the 512MB instead of 256MB.

Sorry forgot.
CPU: E6750 (runs at around 34degrees Celcius
MoBo: P5N-E SLi
Graphics : http://www.inno3d.com/products/graphic_card/gf8/8800gt.htm
The graphicscard is the 512MB one. I do not trust the manufacturers site about the card. That's why I want more info. I piced the card for my bro while he nodded and kept quiet. :D

Anyway it's just a standard medium level comp I guess nothing fancy.
It's my brothers comp and we just finished it and it runs OK :p

Under full load, I would expect less than 60c for that processor. Any higher than that and you should look at better cooling for it.

Your choice of videocard is good, it's the best balance of performance and price. The 8800GT is one of the hottest cards on the market right now.

Last edited:
Sorry to barge in, but my damn laptop goes up to 90 Celsius at full load. Can you imagine what that's doing to my sperm count?

I've seen some sites that open up the MacBook Pro and apply more thermal paste but I don't wanna do that until the warranty is up.

Er, why wouldn't a quad-core CPU require more power than a dual-core one? :blink:

Of course it does. Where the hell is the performance?
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=873&model2=1074&chart=425
Choose any game. Core2Duo wins. And that IS the strongest AMD Phenom.
In all tests, the C2D are very close to AMD's quads... sorry but that's pathetic.

Didn't judge the power consumption. Just said that a C2D is the only way to go it seems.

Anyway, Thanks for help everyone.

Last edited:
Of course it does. Where the hell is the performance?
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=873&model2=1074&chart=425
Choose any game. Core2Duo wins. And that IS the strongest AMD Phenom.
In all tests, the C2D are very close to AMD's quads... sorry but that's pathetic.

Didn't judge the power consumption. Just said that a C2D is the only way to go it seems.

Anyway, Thanks for help everyone.

I know Intel holds the performance crown at the moment; I was just wondering why the power consumption amazed you. :think:

I'm old school and thought CPU's all generally targetted 35-40 degrees C and typically thermaled around 65C.

But hey, I remember when CP/M ruled the earth :)

Steve

I know Intel holds the performance crown at the moment; I was just wondering why the power consumption amazed you. :think:

My bro didn't and I didn't. I browsed those charts for a full day and chose the CPU. :p
The power consumption didn't amaze me, I just think it's weird that more power doesn't mean more performance.
The power-to-performance-to-price, that amazed me.

What exactly is wrong with what Inno3D's site says about the card? Anyway, the are a good brand, but BFG might be cheaper.

What exactly is wrong with what Inno3D's site says about the card? Anyway, the are a good brand, but BFG might be cheaper.

I never trust a manufacturers description about their own product. I wanted to read tests and opinions/experiences from users.