I have a hatred of tiny cars

Tercels are not subcompacts.

Nothing wrong with driving a crappy car, or an old car. It's just that subcompacts have an entirely different stigma all their own. It's probably very similar to the stigma that large cars and full-size SUVs have in Europe. Different side of the spectrum certainly, but they're equally out of place and unpopular in each.

There are plenty of large sedans and S.U.V.s in Europe:?

^ Nah it's just an S pack Commodore.

That Cadillac is styled like our long wheelbase 'luxury' version.

W10308867099.jpg

Last edited:
i own a mk1 clio, and im 20, studying at uni. Its cheap to run, cheap to tax and insure (for my age) and its great fun because im just not precious with it!

most repairs can be done myself (as its old and established, especially with haynes) and spares are very easy to come by in the scrapyards as when they crash, they tend to get scrapped instead of repaired

Also, i live on a street where a small car wins for parking.. getting parking would be nigh on impossible without a lil hatchback

The two door version is yes, except with a V8 and slightly different suspension. That one in the picture is the v6 (I think supercharged in that generation)

But it is still a Monaro isn't it?

^ Nah it's just an S pack Commodore.

That Cadillac is styled like our long wheelbase 'luxury' version.

W10308867099.jpg

But the one in the original picture looked like a Monaro.

Yeah, so 2-door = monaro and 4-door = commodore.
The orange one in the pic is just an s-pack commodore, almost definitely v6 3.8 liter.

You can however option a v8 even on the base model commodores.

I can see how it's confusing to anyone outside of australia but to some people here the difference in name means a big deal.

Oh EDIT!
I see the way my previous post looks like i might be saying the picture of the statesman was a commodore S.

Last edited:
Yeah, so 2-door = monaro and 4-door = commodore.
The orange one in the pic is just an s-pack commodore, almost definitely v6 3.8 liter.

You can however option a v8 even on the base model commodores.

I can see how it's confusing to anyone outside of australia but to some people here the difference in name means a big deal.

Wasn't that option of the v8 on the base model commodores a thing to win a police bid in SA? AFAIK they don't offer it anymore

No i don't think they do with the VE.
I was kinda thinking of the era of the models pictured.

I like small cars, as long as they have a manual trans. For some reason, driving a slushbox in a car that small with, so little power, is just exhausting.

Nothing wrong with small cars - they're largely cheap to buy, cheap to run and good fun to drive around town (unless its a mk1 corsa, which is the least satisfying car in the world IMO).

I'm single and not exactly wealthy so a small car fits the bill perfectly for me. usually the car is just driven around town, so a small engine is all thats needed, but mine can cope on the open road well enough as well (had three-figure speeds out of it anyway).

The car I currently have is a 2000 Fiesta 1.25 LX 5dr - arguably one of the best small cars and definitely one of the best to drive, its similar to this one...

bluefordfiesta_51.jpg

It seems that a lot of people who dont like small cars do so because they see them as 'embarrasing'. How I pity these people - their egos and invisible peer pressure prevents them from buying a smaller car. Get over yourselves - there are different cars for different purposes and small cars fulfil their purpose as well as larger cars do theirs...

Nothing wrong with small cars - they're largely cheap to buy, cheap to run and good fun to drive around town (unless its a mk1 corsa, which is the least satisfying car in the world IMO).

I'm single and not exactly wealthy so a small car fits the bill perfectly for me. usually the car is just driven around town, so a small engine is all thats needed, but mine can cope on the open road well enough as well (had three-figure speeds out of it anyway).

The car I currently have is a 2000 Fiesta 1.25 LX 5dr - arguably one of the best small cars and definitely one of the best to drive, its similar to this one...

bluefordfiesta_51.jpg

It seems that a lot of people who dont like small cars do so because they see them as 'embarrasing'. How I pity these people - their egos and invisible peer pressure prevents them from buying a smaller car. Get over yourselves - there are different cars for different purposes and small cars fulfil their purpose as well as larger cars do theirs...
Your 100% right man. No car is a useless car. Hell, if i lived in the city, i'd get myself some small little car. Thats all you need. Easy to park and easy to run.

But i dont live in the city and i haul quite a bit... so small cars are out.

Your 100% right man. No car is a useless car. Hell, if i lived in the city, i'd get myself some small little car. Thats all you need. Easy to park and easy to run.

But i dont live in the city and i haul quite a bit... so small cars are out.

Exactly - if I was travelling long distances all the time and had a family, a small car wouldn't be the right choice, but for a lot of people they make a lot of sense :)

Exactly - if I was travelling long distances all the time and had a family, a small car wouldn't be the right choice, but for a lot of people they make a lot of sense :)

Yea. If you name any car i can give you its purpose. People that just bash on SUVs dont know what they are talking about IMO. An SUV is great if you have a large family and want 4WD. Maybe you have a boat, good, hook it up to the Tahoe. Thats somthing small cars cant do.

If you live in the city, get a Ford Fiesta! The thing is amazing. Easy to park and nimble in traffic. This is where a Tahoe would fail.

Haul stuff for projects but still have a wife and 2 kids? Get a pickup with a crew cab. Hauls the kids and hauls the wood or w/e your job calls you to haul.

Want a big luxury yacht? get a damn S class.

It all works out.

I think people in tiny cars hate me in my 3500 Mega-Cab :lol:

Thats because they can park in your bed :lol:

This is true. hahahahahahaha, that and the top of their hood is about the same height as the top of my tires, lol/

Oh god its scary being in small cars and seeing big cars around you lol. Yesterday i test drove a Smart and holy crap. I was at a light next to an Excursion, that was sure an experience.

I think people in tiny cars hate me in my 3500 Mega-Cab :lol:
The only thing I hate about trucks when I'm in my Celica is when they're following me at night, and their headlights are level with my rear view mirrors. Goddamn is that annoying <_<.

Oh god its scary being in small cars and seeing big cars around you lol. Yesterday i test drove a Smart and holy crap. I was at a light next to an Excursion, that was sure an experience.
You get used to it. I remember semi trucks seeming about 10x bigger when I went from driving a pickup to a Celica. But now they don't faze me.

The only thing I hate about trucks when I'm in my Celica is when they're following me at night, and their headlights are level with my rear view mirrors. Goddamn is that annoying <_<.

You get used to it. I remember semi trucks seeming about 10x bigger when I went from driving a pickup to a Celica. But now they don't faze me.

When im driving the G35, i hate when an SUV or trucks headlights are in my mirror, but then i remember i drive one a good chunk of the time so i try not to focus on it :lol:

And yea, i like cars, but i dont think i could live with one to small. G35 is about as small as i wanna go.