Why Chrysler is perpetually bankrupt

Mopar Man

<a href="http://forums.finalgear.com/general-autom
Car(s)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega-Cab
I found this an interesting read, its from December of 2006 when things were really, REALLY bad for Chrysler. And for those of you who can't be bothered to read it, it's pretty much about how Daimler-Benz had their little German piggies in Chrysler's wallet. Personally I'm for one glad that Chrysler is back in American hands (even if it's just 80.1%) and not in the hands of the Chinese.

Just before its acquisition by Daimler, Chrylser Corporation was one of the most profitable auto companies in the world. Its investments and cost-cutting in the early 1990s - investments in people, technology, and equipment, and cost-cutting in waste reduction, letting extra layers of management ?attrit? out, and eliminating unnecessary rework - led to low production and engineering costs, with dramatic increases in quality, marred by a few supplier gaffes. The company was earning rave reviews on just about every model, with the Intrepid, Ram, Neon, and (to a lesser degree) Cirrus all setting new standards in their niches. The Neon forced all competitors, including the Japanese, back to their drawing boards to get extra power, cornering, and space into their small cars; the Ram forced other truck vendors to revamp their interiors and boost their power and capacity. The Intrepid proved that you could have a big car that handled like a small car without losing comfort.

While Chrysler started to lose it in the mid-1990s, with Bob Eaton reportedly making foolish cost-cutting decisions that hurt the cars (Neon head gaskets, anyone?) and letting fat grow in middle management, it was still insanely popular, and technology continued to progress, with the company constantly innovating and forcing others to catch up.

Then came the acquisition, led by a frightened, crying Bob Eaton, and opposed by the only other American in senior management who had worked in Germany for any length of time - Bob Lutz, who spoke German, understood what was happening, and would have held out for far more favorable terms. Had Lutz prevailed, it might still be DaimlerChrylser, but Chrysler would be equal to or above Mercedes, not the other way around; the Crossfire, if they ever made it, would have had a Chrysler powertrain; and Chrysler would probably still be insanely profitable, despite the market hit in big trucks. Before the takeover, Chrysler made fuel-efficient cars, and it could react quickly, without the need to consult Germany for permission.

It took a year or two for the Mercedes crowd to worm their way in, accompanied by CEO musical chairs, but worm their way in they did. They took away Chrysler Credit from the Chrysler reporting line, changed all the signs, and started boasting of German engineering, in sales campaigns that invariably killed off sales. (But we?ve gone over that often enough.)

What Chrysler proponents often note is the sudden disappearance of Chrysler?s $8 billion emergency fund. This would have paid for ALL the losses sustained to date - most or all of which would not have happened if the takeover had not happened! Particularly because Chrysler Credit was a major profit driver. Talking about Chrysler revenue without looking at Chrysler Credit is ignorant at best, and cunning at worst.

But now we have more evidence of how things worked. We were told by insiders that Chrysler was forced to pay massive consulting fees to Mercedes engineers, even when they were assigned to help those same engineers on Mercedes cost reductions and quality improvements. We were told that Chrysler had to pay massive royalties on items they were forced to use, like the Mercedes automatic, which apparently is not quite as good as the ZF automatics which some say they were copied from, and which seems to have cost as much as the ZF. (ZF is not part of DCX.)

The Freightliner case has shown us that DCX has had no compunction about illegally shifting funds from one company to another as needed. Perhaps that is why Chrysler suddenly went from very profitable to very unprofitable, in a mere two years, with little other reason than being acquired by Daimler-Benz. We were told that Daimler-Benz was mis-led by Chrysler management and executives, and that the books had been cooked. Maybe. But given that DCX has been defending itself in courts across the world against charges of bribery, illegal movement of funds, and fraud, we somehow doubt that the poor innocents at Daimler-Benz were the victims. Indeed, we can point to their general modus operandi of buying companies, sucking them dry, and leaving them to try to salvage what they can - Fokker and Freightliner being two examples.

Of course then there are the benefits to the acquisition. Access to Mercedes? parts bin - which means nothing. Chrysler could have bought active suspension technology from anyone, along with those ZF automatics. They don?t seem to have a choice on what parts they use, from those steering columns in the 300 to the apparent inability to pick a non-Mercedes diesel in their cars and light trucks; and when they do get parts, they are limited by Mercedes? marketing demands (e.g. to five speeds in the LX automatics). The Mercedes parts are also almost certainly more costly than what Chrysler could design itself.

Then there?s access to Mercedes expertise. Well, that sure worked out well - it added three years to the development time for their vehicles, meaning that Chrysler is now behind instead of ahead.

Then there?s access to Mercedes? quality. Mercedes quality ratings are almost invariably below those of Chrysler, and we think they?re experts? Why is that? Because Mercedes charges more?

The Germans apparently want DaimlerChrysler to drop Chrysler and sell it to the Chinese. We say that we also want Chrysler to be separated; but selling it to a Chinese company would be foolhardy, to say the least. Our solution is to make Chrysler independent but largely owned by Daimler. This would fix the problem of Chrysler?s profitability in short order, while allowing Mercedes to continue using Chrysler technology, engineering, manufacturing expertise, and volume discounts, all which they now depend on. However, they couldn?t continue to allocate massive amounts of money from Chrysler Group to their beloved Mercedes, so they can pretend to make a profit. That, in my opinion, is why Chrysler will never be set free, but will continue to spiral downwards, until there?s no more money to be sucked out. At that point, Chrysler will be set free, but probably not under the same favorable terms as Rover; and quite probably it will indeed be a Chinese company that takes it.

Source: http://www.allpar.com/weblogs/2006/12/21/why-chrysler-is-perpetually-bankrupt/

Last edited:
uh this is already known news. so its nothing new. everybody already knows that Daimler ruined Chrysler. saying it was a partnership was complete and utter bullshit.

I didn't know.

Huh, first I'd heard. I suspect things aren't quite as one-sided as the article makes them out to be, but I can't say I've ever taken a hard look at Chrysler's finances.

uh this is already known news. so its nothing new. everybody already knows that Daimler ruined Chrysler. saying it was a partnership was complete and utter bullshit.

So he's not allowed to post it and we're not allowed to discuss it? Golly gee, I'm sorry Mr. King of FinalGear, please delete this thread immediately. :rolleyes:

Can I just say that when Mercedes Benz became Daimler Chrysler, I was working for them (not in management of course), and neither I, nor any of my colleagues I talked to, approved of that action.

In any merger you look to who gets to run the company to tell you who is the most equal in the land...and at DCX it definitely was Daimler.

If fuel costs had stayed low, though, they'd still be on top, I think.

Steve

So he's not allowed to post it and we're not allowed to discuss it? Golly gee, I'm sorry Mr. King of FinalGear, please delete this thread immediately. :rolleyes:

you know....

you seem to be a hypocrit. because most other threads like this that other people don't approve of, you always seem to be one of them. some of you guys need to realize every one of you aren't better than everybody else on this forum because you've been around longer. most of you have the same exact problems.

I typically don't pay attention to Elmo's posts. But lately, I've noticed that almost all his posts are about something is a repost or in the wrong section. I dunno, maybe there aren't enough references to America on our forum to make him a happy panda.

Last edited:
you seem to be a hypocrit. because most other threads like this that other people don't approve of, you always seem to be one of them. some of you guys need to realize every one of you aren't better than everybody else on this forum because you've been around longer. most of you have the same exact problems.
orly.jpeg

Name a thread that I, BlaRo, the arbiter of forum good taste, have smoten with my pollice verso here. Go ahead, surprise me, I make so many (amazingly awesome) posts that I don't remember the last time I inadvertantly started an unnecessary flame war in an innocent thread with my asinine nitpicking. Maybe if you weren't such a colossally arrogant douchetard with every post you make, you could actually get along with us instead of bitching about us.

Can we please get back on topic now? I knew Mercedes fucked over Chrysler, but I hadn't realized how bad it was upon reading that article. Of course, it's from allpar so it may be slightly biased, but still...

You owe me a new keyboard...

http://img168.imageshack.**/img168/2279/golfclap01kq5fp3.gif

Last edited:
I had read an article somewhat similar to this a while back but without the details. Good post.

Then there?s access to Mercedes expertise. Well, that sure worked out well - it added three years to the development time for their vehicles, meaning that Chrysler is now behind instead of ahead.

The whole point behind Ioccoca's buying of AMC was to get Jeep and their engineering and management staff. The fact that those guys could quickly adjust to market demands and quick development is what saved Chrysler, and kept AMC going before it for so many years on such a tight budget.

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/fast-facts-1997.html

Chrysler reinvented the Company's product lineup and shored up its balance sheet. Total revenues of $61.4 billion for 1996 were the best ever, almost double the results of 1992. Meanwhile, pretax earnings for the year were $6.09 billion, with earnings per share of $4.74 - both records for Chrysler.

The Company repurchased over $4 billion of its common stock since the beginning of 1996. Chrysler credit ratings were at their highest levels since the 1970s. Standard & Poor's raised its rating of Chrysler debt to "A" from "A-" in April 1997.

At the end of 1992, Chrysler Corporation had an unfunded pension liability of $3.9 billion - in 1997, the pension fund was fully funded.

For three straight years, 1994 - 1996, Chrysler was North America's lowest cost auto producer, according to the independent Harbour Report - the annual gauge of productivity for the industry.

Chrysler's owner loyalty rate increased nearly 50 percent in five years. Chrysler was the only automaker to be above the U.S. industry average in both owner loyalty and new-owner conquest rates.

Forbes magazine selected Chrysler from more than 1,200 companies in all industries as its 1996 Company of the Year.

IndustryWeek magazine named Chrysler Corporation among the 100 "best managed" world companies.
BusinessWeek recognized Bob Eaton and Bob Lutz among its top managers of 1996.
Automotive Industries magazine named Bob Eaton 1997 "Executive of the Year."
The investment banking firm of Morgan Stanley recognized Chrysler as "Best Performing Auto Stock" of 1996.

This was before Daimler took over.. compare to today.

Wolfgang Bernhard created the ME-412 behind Daimlers back.. If you notice.. it wasn't long till he was let go. Good news is.. he's back... behind the scene at cerberus.. but still back :mrgreen:

http://www.allpar.com/cars/me412.html Story on the ME-412.. aka the McLaren SLR killer.. there is no way in hell Daimler would let Chrysler produce this as it would put serious questions as to just how Chrysler could out do Mercedes.

The allpar blog has quite a bit of good info on the whole DCX thing. The writer has a deep hatred for Mercedes though so it's a bit biased.

The allpar blog has quite a bit of good info on the whole DCX thing. The writer has a deep hatred for Mercedes though so it's a bit biased.

Well if you were a Chrysler enthusiast like I am or he is, you'd be a little pissed to seeing your favorite car manufacturer being demolished right before your eyes.

Wolfgang Bernhard created the ME-412 behind Daimlers back.. If you notice.. it wasn't long till he was let go. Good news is.. he's back... behind the scene at cerberus.. but still back :mrgreen:

http://www.allpar.com/cars/me412.html Story on the ME-412.. aka the McLaren SLR killer.. there is no way in hell Daimler would let Chrysler produce this as it would put serious questions as to just how Chrysler could out do Mercedes.

I also think that they should put the ME-412 into production. The reason it wasn't built in the first place was 1. It was built behind Mercedes back, 2. Mercedes has nothing that comes even close to it in terms of performance.

Last edited:
double post, by bad.