Want to race, tune, or modify that brand new GT-R you ordered? Not so fast.

Really? Even lowly Dodge proved you can provide huge aftermarket support and still retain a warranty with the Stage 1-2-3 kits for the SRT-4. Surely Nissan could attempt the same.

I know it's a bit off-topic, but is it common for manufacturers to offer this kind of support?
Brazilian manufacturers are assholes concerning warranties...

I think this pathetic atetmpt to make modding harder is just Nissans way to get away from the lunatic racer image the previous GTR had.
I mean they said from the start that the next GTR will not be a "skyline". Fine it isn't.
"It will be a true performance car". The Skyline GTR wasn't?! :|

It's just sad really. They're trying to make this car appeal to people who buy Porsches and Ferraris. MegaFail.

I know it's a bit off-topic, but is it common for manufacturers to offer this kind of support?

Roush provides warranties from Ford with its Mustang's and F-150's. Chevy did the same thing with the Cobalt SS/SC. you had a Stage 1, 2, and 3 that were still covered by Warranty. the thing is, they're covered by warranty because they're built by in-house tuners such as GMPP and Mopar.

oh and i'm going to keep posting this to remind everybody.....
Kind of already covered in this thread.... New GTR

1. The 180kph/track limit is irrelevant outside of japan and has already been circumvented by aftermarket tuners.
2. Aftermarket wheels have been developed and are already available.
3. Any remaining factory limitations will be overcome by the aftermarket within a relatively short time.

Don't cancel your order's yet folks. :rolleyes:

I have a slight feeling the camaro won't have this problem, just slightly :lol:

but yeah. pretty fail is probably the best way to put it

Mazda doesn't cover you under warranty but you do get a reasonable discount on parts (OEM and motorsport) if you race their car along with a host of other perks.

Gah, can't you put anymore thoughts into your posts? I swear I'm gonna lose it and neg rep you if I ever have to scroll past another "+1" from you.

Seriously, what is the deal with these stupid 2 letter posts? If all you have to say is I agree, you might as well not post anything.

As for the actual topic of the thread, it's pretty stupid to limit the car like this. Especially when you consider that most GT-R buyers will probably be weekend racers. I mean if you're not the type of person who'd go to the track, you'd probably buy a prettier, more useable car.

+1

/I know... I'm a dick.

Dammit, Nissan! Stop trying to protect me from myself! I really hate that.

Once you sell me the car you relinquish all control. It's as bad as DRM trying to tell me what I can do with something once I buy it (like only make two copies).
I couldn't have said it better.

Why would you need to mod it? Just stick some Nismo stickers on it and an aircraft carrier on the rear and you've got over 1000+HP. That said the ridiculous exhausts that most skylines here seem to have that seem to be about 4" by my reckoning on the amount of people that have them must add at least 300HP

CLICHE KING DEMANDS YOU OBEY!
:p:cry::blink::|:lol:
+1

Epic pwnage
me wants
me has
i haz a karot
omglolzleafspringsleetspeek
tiny text
/thread
//b///what

///more slashes
:):(:D;):rolleyes::mad::?

The British government APPROVES

Congratulations Nissan

I am curious to hear what Mopar Man's father thinks about it, and if he is still going to buy it.

Hey, while we're on the topic of Mopar Man's dad...I picked up the new Car & Driver mag, and saw an interesting 'readers' letter', written by some kid in Ontario ranting about trying to convince his dad to get one, and harping how the editor of C&D failed to acknowledge some nitpicking little detail about the number of turbo's on the original GTR...Mopar Man, is your name Brian Williams or Will Bryans or something?

Last edited:
Really? Even lowly Dodge proved you can provide huge aftermarket support and still retain a warranty with the Stage 1-2-3 kits for the SRT-4. Surely Nissan could attempt the same.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Nissan comes out with some grossly overpriced factory hop-up stuff that won't void your warranty. I just want to know who at Nissan decided to make their halo car such a pain to modify, it only makes them look like dicks. I mean, either they're just greedy, or they're too incompetent to design a car that can cope with modification.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Nissan comes out with some grossly overpriced factory hop-up stuff that won't void your warranty. I just want to know who at Nissan decided to make their halo car such a pain to modify, it only makes them look like dicks. I mean, either they're just greedy, or they're too incompetent to design a car that can cope with modification.

Whoa, relax man. Too incompetent to design a car that can cope with modification?? :blink:

So far theres a warning light due to disconnection of the tyre pressure sensor and the issue of the Japan only 180kph speed limiter/after track safety inspection.

Please keep in mind that this is one of the first cars to break the 280HP self imposed limit. Nissan are trying to keep the Government, enthusiasts and their accountants happy. Also remember that this is one of the most expensive cars on sale in Japan and a lot of new owners will be pleased that they won't have to take their car to a garage to have the 180KPH limiter removed, even if they have to pay for a "safety check" after they've been to the track. Were the details posted re the safety check? I wouldn't mind seeing the full story.

One more thing, this car is on a completely different level than previous GT-Rs. Its a highly tuned machined and will require a lot more finesse from tuners to get any more performance out of it. Nissan could have made a slower, more "tuner friendly" car, or one on a par with the 911 Turbo. I'm glad they took the latter choice because now we have a car with 911 turbo performance for half the price.