Jason Plato's negative reviews

Mr. Nice

This season, last season, the season before that, Jason Plato reviews almost every car he drives as possessing a lot of negatives. I can think of a few exceptions, the Pagani Zonda, and the Porsche 911 Turbo. His reviews seem to be just plain annoying and not in agreement with many magazines. Does anyone else agree with me? If I could kick one person off of Fifth Gear, it would be Baked Potato

Ok, so what's wrong with criticism?

nothing wrong with a little criticism from time to time, but not on every thing that he drives. He is overdoing it with his negative reviews.

nothing wrong with a little criticism from time to time, but not on every thing that he drives. He is overdoing it with his negative reviews.

It's called being critical, he doesn't just drive a car and say it's bad. He points out what he does and doesn't like.

It's called being critical, he doesn't just drive a car and say it's bad. He points out what he does and doesn't like.

He doesn't like every car he drives lately. He hated the Maserati last episode, it's not just being critical, he can't seem to give good reviews anymore.

He doesn't like every car he drives lately. He hated the Maserati last episode, it's not just being critical, he can't seem to give good reviews anymore.

What's wrong with you? The only thing he could fault it with was lack of torque.

So long as he can justify his comments - well OK in my book.

Remember that TG are not known for their full some praise of even the best of cars - Cayman anyone?

Maybe you should pay more attention as you watch Fifth Gear. He said the Maserati was a beautiful, comfortable GT car that lacks the power figures to compete with most other sports cars these days. I totally agree with him on that point too - it is a touring car, but still, a Maserati with less power than an M3?

Like Cobol74 said, I don't see a problem with being critical if you can back up your claims. Unlike Top Gear, who never bother to justify their often stereotypical views of a given model, both Plato and Tiff go into great detail about how the car drives and stuff like that.

Plato is the only Fifth Gear host who is currently an active race car driver so he goes into a lot of detail about the cars and nitpicks, and that to me is his strongest point as a presenter.

I'm a picky person.

Jason Plato is a picky person.

I pick Jason Plato as a good guy.

i like to pick my nose too.

I sometimes get the impression that Plato focuses more on the cons of the cars he's testing, because he wants his reviews to be more interesting.

TG or FG are only really funny/interesting when they're bashing the car.

The rest of the time is just pretty camera shots and good audio of the engine screaming.

i'd like to think that if he makes a comment about a car, saying that the maserati needs to be faster, for example.

since he's a professional race car driver, and i'm just a normal driver...driving on a road at everyday speeds...

i'm sure the maserati would be fast enough...

^ Or maybe he's right, even by our standards. For the price of the the Maserati you can buy much more powerful cars which, even if they're not 2+2, are as comfortable as the GranTurismo. Like a Merc SL55 for instance.

Theres nothing wrong with expressing criticism towards a car. Better than a reviewer whose scared of offending the manufacture and then gives it the full thumbs up.

Yeah, he is often negative. Good, isn't it?

I like that a lot more than someone going "OMG its so fantastic the POWERRRRR" because that doesnt say anything specific about the car

I've noticed he doesn't really like anything that's not a racy car. The more hardcore, the better.

Kind of appropriate that someone named Mr Nice would be bothered by Plato's overall negative car reviews.

Jason explains his perspective and what he likes/dislikes about the cars he reviews, and he always gives a reason to explain his opinions. Intelligent viewers can usually recognize that what they want in a car and what Plato wants aren't always the same thing.

So it doesnt bother me what he thinks.

Likewise Tom Ford and Johnny Smith give their reviews of cars from thee complete opposite perspective (the ordinary non-racing blokes opinion) more focused on practicality, ergnomics, etc. Which is also fine.

I've noticed he doesn't really like anything that's not a racy car. The more hardcore, the better.

On the contrary I think that he likes sport cars that can be used everyday, not hardcore, not appropiate for road use kind of cars, remember for instance the review he did of the Rocket Redux.

So long as he can justify his comments - well OK in my book.

Remember that TG are not known for their full some praise of even the best of cars - Cayman anyone?

While I sympathise with the threadstarter for lack of agreement, I'm with this guy.
I like Plato, I think he's one of the best.
Better than the hairy man, Tom Ford?
Johnny Smith(?) has improved over time.

So its allright for Clarkson to talk bullshit, but its not allright when Plato give out his honest comment?? Its always good to know more about the car by combining different reviews and opinions, and Plato is doing exactly that.

Remeber that ppl like Clarkson, Tiff, Plato etc.. they see supercars on a daily basis, obviously they are gonna get a little bit picky and bitch about things that you will never care about.

Last edited: