Nurburgring trip - 9th Feb [insert hilarious 56k warning here]

Martyn

Car(s)
Ford Focus
About three weeks ago my brother asked me if I fancied going to the Ring, we'd been planning to go for a while now, and he had a free weekend, which is quite rare for him, so we snapped up the chance.
I doubt February is a good time to go, especially as with 5 days to go until we were to be there, there was snow all over the webcam! But sod it, I can't think of another free weekend for us both to go!

Basically, this was a hardcore day trip into Germany from Stafford (ish) with very little sleep!

On Friday at 7:30am I got up, and went and did a day's work. Left there a bit early and got back into Stafford at about 5pm. I had a shower, and headed to my brother's house in Towcester. I got there at about 8pm.

We left Towcester at about 9:30pm, heading for Dover, to catch a ferry at 4:30am, intending to get a couple of hours sleep in the car at Dover.
We arrived at Dover at about 1am, and found a car park to stick ourselves for a couple of hours!

3:30am came along and we headed to Dover check in and were informed that the 4:30am ferry had been cancelled because of all the issues on the motorways during the day; coachloads of people going skiing had missed their crossing, so they brought ours forward and put them on that! How rude! So they'd put us on a 6:45am ferry. Joy of joys. Less time at "The Ring" for us then :(
At least we could attempt another couple of hours sleep though. I think we got about an hour.

Finally, we got on the ferry and were sailing towards Calais.

Here's me on the ferry, trying to comprehend the menu:

1.jpg

And here's me just looking bored. Bear in mind I got up 24 hours ago and have had about 3 crap hours of sleep in a car. :lol:

2.jpg

Ready to get off the ferry at about 9:30am (local time), and I fire up the Corvette branded TomTom!

3.jpg

And so we drive through Belgium, around Brussels' wonderful ring road, and stop at some services at around 12:

High quality European ham and cheese baguettes!

4.jpg

My brother and our 'Ring vehicle!

5.jpg

My brother enjoying his sandwich! It was an absolutely gorgeous day, so we sat outside!

6.jpg

Back on the road... Final Destination anyone?

7.jpg

Into the windy German roads heading up to N?rburg, some interesting scenery around!

8.jpg

9.jpg

Signs and things started to mention N?rburg, we must have been getting close!

10.jpg

Aha! A sign for the ring!

11.jpg

More signage!

12.jpg

The famous Mercedes grandstand of the Grand Prix circuit.

13.jpg

Oh my god! They're destroying it! (And putting a Roller Coaster in, apparently) As long as they leave the Nordschleife alone!

14.jpg

w00t! That looks like track to me!

15.jpg

16.jpg

In the car park, you can see me taking photos!

17.jpg

The BMW Z4M "DriftTaxi"

18.jpg

19.jpg

Hurrah! A Corvette! I wasn't expecting to see one, as it wasn't very busy and there wasn't a great deal of exotic supercars around. I'm a big Corvette fan.

20.jpg

21.jpg

My brother ready to take us out for a lap, which was absolutely stunning. Even in a 1.6 Focus.

22.jpg

Alfa 147

23.jpg

Audi R8

24.jpg

Integra

25.jpg

Generic Porsche...

26.jpg

This was a 1-series I think

27.jpg

Fiesta ST

28.jpg

AMG Merc, this sounded awesome going round the track!

29.jpg

30.jpg

Porsche and Audi about to go out for a lap.

31.jpg

You've got a get a cheesy picture of yourself with the map!

32.jpg

Trackside at Br?nnchen, I can now see what people mean when they say the photos don't do the terrain any justice!

33.jpg

One big bill for this Impreza owner...

34.jpg

Around the Wipperman area

35.jpg

This was a Seat Leon with an Audi style "beard". At least the German chav types have the sense not to hang around in a supermarket car park!

36.jpg

I beleive that's a Porsche Cayman

37.jpg

BMW Z3M

38.jpg

Trying to do a lap in under ten minutes maybe?

39.jpg

Turbo...

40.jpg

A Supra in the Wipperman area

41.jpg

Audi R8

42.jpg

The Corvette again!

43.jpg

Slippery down in the valley then...

45.jpg

Old Alfa

48.jpg

The hill to Karussell was very VERY steep. I was aware it was going to be steep, but I wasn't expecting that! You can't tell how steep it is from this picture

44.jpg

My brother before noticing the steepness

46.jpg

It was hard to walk down... even harder to walk back up!

47.jpg

Heading towards the penultimate corner before the Karussell

49.jpg

And the legend itself, the Karussell!

71.jpg

50.jpg

This TVR Sagaris didn't want to take the inside line!

51.jpg

This Audi didn't mind!

52.jpg

Alfa 156

54.jpg

Old Civic

55.jpg

I didn't see the DriftTaxi do any drifting!

56.jpg

The Merc growling round the Karussell!

57.jpg

The kid in the back is enjoying it!

58.jpg

Now THAT'S a powerful car!

59.jpg

Evo.

60.jpg

Me at Karussell

62.jpg

The insanely steep pathway again!

65.jpg

Back at Br?nnchen, and our Focus with some track in the background!

61.jpg

Br?nnchen

63.jpg

The Merc coming out of Hohe Acht

64.jpg

Sagaris in the car park

66.jpg

Fly splattered

67.jpg

More cheesy photos!

68.jpg

Sagaris again!

69.jpg

I love TVRs

70.jpg

My mate Rob at work wanted me to advertise our new company branding on the N?rburgring webcam...

72.jpg

I think I just about passed the test:

8200rpm_nurburgring_einfahrt_1202575206_H.png

And a barrier...

73.jpg

And it's time to go home!

8200rpm_nurburgring_einfahrt_1202575267_H.png

Getting back to Calais was going really well, we were scheduled to depart at 10:50pm, but half an hour from Calais we hit a massive tailback, and didn't arrive in Calais until midnight (at which point I've been up for 41 hours, with 2 or 3 hours of crap car sleep!).
We got transferred to a P&O crossing at 00:45 (local time), meaning we'd get back to Dover at around 1:15am.
I got another hour-ish of crap boat sleep in a rubbish uncomfortable seat.

We then drove from Dover back to Towcester and arrived there at about 5am! So that's about 46 hours in total, with about four hours of crap fake sleep!

Thank god for Relentless!

relentless%20can-749344.jpg

I think I'm in love with the place, I can't wait to go back!

Obviously it would have been nice to see some more cars about and things, but to be honest, for your first (or second in my brother's case) lap, it was an ideal time to go! The track was pretty dead. We had a BMW overtake us near the start, then we overtook a Mercedes, then a Porsche overtook us around the Bergwerk area! That was all we saw on the track!

It was also a gorgeous day! Though it was a bit unnerving at first driving into Ex-Muhle and seeing snow on the ground! Fortunately the line was dry!

Loved it!

Last edited:
Wow. Nice pics! And lucky you!

Also, we didn't go on the inside of the Karusell, we went on the outside. Which is much harder to do; it is all mud tracks and we decided to ditch the car because my dad didn't want to send it into the huge valley to one side of the 'road' nor the large cliff the other :lol:

I really want to visit the Ring more! And I really want that Audi A5!

1928_steilstrecke_gesamt.jpg

1966_steilstreckehanseat.jpg

steilstreckenprofil.jpg

It was used for industrial testing in the old days :)

The silver merc drives the VLN endurance races on the nordschleife, its damn fast :D

Awesome road trip documentary ! Going travelling for the summer with Prodrift, one of the venues is a 30 hour Ferry ride from Newcastle to Finland, not including driving from Waterford to Dublin (2 hours) Ferry to Hollyhead (3.5 Hours) Hollyhead to Newcastle (4.5 hours) and then getting on a Ferry for 30 hours an another two hours driving in Finland.

Is Stafford far from Cornwall / Newcastle / or London ?

Yes, Yes and Yes. That about does it.

LOL, unless he means Newcastle under Lyme!

http://www.pro-steilstrecke.de/images/steilstrecke/1928_steilstrecke_gesamt.jpg
http://www.pro-steilstrecke.de/images/BerndTerbeck/1966_steilstreckehanseat.jpg
http://www.pro-steilstrecke.de/images/steilstrecke/steilstreckenprofil.jpg

It was used for industrial testing in the old days :)

Aha, that makes a lot more sense now! Especially as they show it on some of the maps! Before actually visiting, I always just assumed it was a section of track that can be used to skip the two hairpins!

Great story, Martyn!

I obviously was stricken to see the poor Impreza, and the old man in the Golf is hilarous!

That Z4M "drift taxi" looks amazing, any more pictures of it would be welcome.

Oh god awesome photos!

I really want to get to the Nurburgring, some day...

this inspires me to go and at least visit the Laguna Seca track it's only a 2 1/2 hour drive for me.

That road stop you got your cheese baguettes from is, I'm fairly sure, where I stopped the night whilst on the way down to Hockenheim over the summer. We'd caught a midnight ferry and got to that point at about 3am. Needless to say we couldn't carry on and stopped to sleep. Only problem was, once the car had stopped moving I couldn't get to sleep anymore so ended up in my sleeping bag on the cobbles by the side of my car. One of my other friends slept by the radiator with a pile of T-Shirts under his head! LOL It was surprisingly comfortable till it started to rain in the morning!

I THINK this is an official AMG car.....Mixed it up with the silver brabus C class :D

Went there last summer for the first time (Drove around Lemans few days earlier just before the 24h race start and the grand stands were full, that was simply mind blowing) From Lemans we went to the Ring and stayed there for 4 days. It is by far the best driving experience of my whole life... Week after that we went to Hockenheim and all though it's a nice circuit, it was no match for the ring, nothing compares to the ring!

Here's me on the ring with my Black car...

IMGP1526_original.jpg

Great stuff Martyn, thanks man :)

BTW, love this pic:

58.jpg

The Sagaris is my favorite car, and there are not many sightings of it...so thank you very very much.

I love the X3 pic as well. Great work, Chap. Kudos. Looks like ALOT of fun, I gotta try that sometime.. too bad I'm like 7000km's away.