[13x04] February 11th, 2008

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Last edited:
Well, I thought It was quite a good episode for fifth gear.

The DBS review was better than I expected.

The vans in the episode were abit of a *yawn*, other than that It was allright :cool:

I think I'll give the episode a 7

Has anyone had a go on the competition for winning the Golf GTi?

Has anyone had a go on the competition for winning the Golf GTi?

Has anyone tried entering any of their competitons for that matter? and won?

haha, man I love Jonny Smith and his reviews.

Has anyone tried entering any of their competitons for that matter? and won?

Of course, they announce the winners all the time. Hell, we even had one of the winners drop by here once long ago.

Last edited:
Yes I liked it - even liked the vans! I gave it an 8 - definately a return to form and I agree with Viper Johnny Smith does good reviews and is damn funny when he wants to be in a dry sort of way.

I was very disappointed when I realized there was no GT-R. Think that tarnished the whole episode for me. Thanks Viper!:glare:

Anyway, the Brabus van was dumb. I don't know why anyone would want such a thing, but then to not have a functioning traction control switch is pathetic. I don't care if that is Mercedes fault to start, it is Brabus' job to fix it. So a pretty lame segment, overall.

The 6 series diesel was amazingly boring and dumb. I mean, what part of that was good? Diesel? Gas mileage? Poland? I think not. He took a boat a large part of the way, he didn't even open it up on the autobahn, and had the worst German accent I'd ever heard. All to save an amazing what, 20p a liter? Which he clearly didn't save having to drive a tank and a quarter to get there. To think I could have been sleeping instead of watching this segment, EPIC FAIL.:zzz:

It still amazes me that they try to sell the Scion xB as a daihatsu over there. Apparently calling it a Toyota wouldn't be boring enough.

The DBS was a good review. A lot more fair and fun then the Top Gear review. But I still am not sure it is worth the price premium. The stunt guy I totally could have done without. What a gimmick, duh, he's slower, thanks.

The Unimog was not amazing either. And the Brabus one is just dumb. Plus the fact that they seemed to like it and were amazed it could do 65mph, woo hoo.:rolleyes:

I'm in a bad mood if you couldn't tell. But stuff like Fifth Gear is suppose to be good enough to cheer me up.

I was very disappointed when I realized there was no GT-R. Think that tarnished the whole episode for me. Thanks Viper!:glare:

Sorry! I had just woken up. :(

The DBS segment was awesome, The Unimog was also good, However I think Tom's comment about the SAS could result in him not making it home ;) Johnny in the BMW was funny, makes me think maybe diesel isn't all bad.

The Van shot out was a bit crap, I just didn't really care about the result so I skipped most of it.

It was a pretty good ep. I don't really mind the van segment, it's good for a few laughs. I wish Johnny's 635D review covered more about how the engine feels compared to the gas engine, but I guess he probably haven't drove the gas engine 6 series. The DBS review was good, but I think I agree with TG's conclusion more, it's just an improved version of the DB9. Overall, I gave this ep. an 8.

The mercedes van section wasn't of any interest to me but I have to except I suppose that now and again vans have to get a mention, although hopefully not to often.

Johnny going to Poland in a diesel bmw could have been interesting or humourous but it just reminded me how boring driving on motorways is. Don't know why they bothered showing it.

The expensive off road truck piece was deadly dull.

Details about buying a second hand Golf GTI was interesting.

The way I judge an episode is whether i could watch it again and apart from the supercar club and the golf gti there isn't anything else I would want to sit through twice.

I thought the James Bond's stunt driver piece was going to be good but as they weren't racing each other it lacked excitement for me.

Nice episode. The Brabus Van (and the Brabus Unimog, for that matter) are a bit of a stupidity, in my opinion at least.
Johnny is quickly becoming my favorite presenter, and it was nice to see a little tiny bit of the country some of my ancestors came from. When he mentioned the SatNav not recognizing Poland, I tought "Aha! So Clarkson was wrong, and BMW's SatNavs don't want you to invade Poland!" :lol:
The DBS was great. I agree with Tiff: I would probably choose it over a Ferrari.

All in all, a good episode. Next week seems to be interesting also, with the BMW Series 1 coup? (I'm curious about it) and the motorcycle stunts.

i actually kind of liked the bmw sequence...but dbs def stole the show.

Man, this was a great, great episode and perhaps a return to form for Fifth Gear. They seem to finally have finished with the random celebrity clips!

Vicki and the vans were pretty boring, she needs more exciting things to do. But she's looking better this series, married life seems to have worked well for her.

I kinda like the quick reviews of cheap cars they do. It's always stuff we don't get here so it's good for a laugh. The Nissan Note with the cubby hole under the seat is great for smokers and other druggies. You can hide your hypodermic needles in there.

Plato's part sucked and the experiment was really useless. They'd already covered the supercar clubs numerous times before. There was the one in Arizona with Tom, and Damon Hill's club in the episode where the lottery winner wanted to choose a car to buy.

Jonny's review was really funny, but he really is a lot like Clarkson. He seems to style himself after Jezza a bit. Even all the jokes about Poland were very Clarkson-esque.

The Unimog is pretty cool, a friend of mine from high school actually has one of these things, from the 70s though I think.

Tiff is fackin' awesome, the DBS segment was simply superb. What a car and what a tight track! Anyone know what the track is called?

Overall it was a great episode. The shootout had boring cars vans and Plato's part seemed like filler, but still, 8.5 / 10.

Last edited:
I've decided to give it an 8 as well. Nothing too outstanding in terms of television, but at the same time, there wasn't anything bad or boring really about the episode.

The van shootout was a bit pointless... the whole shootout segment is becoming a bit of joke this season. I thought it was really cool at first when they tested the Renault up against the Rage Buggy - i thought they were just mixing things up a bit - but it seems they've turned this segment into a spectacle. How bad was that Brabus Mercedes Van Thing!?! Where's the emoticon with the little man kicking his legs because he's laughing so hard?

When they talked about the Supercar Club thing at the very beginning of the episode I thought "oh no - that's bound to be boring because it was boring the last eighty trillion times they've done it" but because it was quick and to the point it worked. I could tell once it got going that it would be over soon so I stayed interested and stuck around for the end. Sure it was pointless but it lasted exactly as long as it could/should have.

The Diesel slash Poland segment was something I was really looking forward to because diesel is really taking off in this country and my Dad is going to be buying a diesel very soon... But man that segment sucked! What exactly was the point of it? He said he could have made it all the way on one tank "if it weren't for all this filming lark" WTF!?! Either avoid the 'filming lark' or just lie to us and put a bit more diesel in to make up for it. And why was he going on and on about how much of a shithole Poland is and everything? I remember when Top Gear did basically this same exact thing and it was much better... but still dead boring. Nice car tho, that BMW.

The second-hand car segment was good, as usual.

The main reason I downloaded this episode was for the Unimog segment and it was disappointing. I'm sure they could have made that segment interesting... Up a hill that's steepness didn't come across on TV, down the same hill and then through a puddle that seemed about knee deep... Whoa! Watch yourself there!
Fuck I want one tho!

I really don't like Aston Martin but that segment was good. Tiff is a bit of a one trick pony but he can still do that trick very well when everything lines up and he's in the right car and the right track.

Ap, I just found the emoticon I wanted earlier. Mercedes-Benz Van Thing: :roflmao:

I liked this episode mainly because of, the segment with BMW 635 D :D I'm from Poland and it's was fantastic experience to see my country in show like Fifth Gear :D As you could see in Poland we have terrible roads :p but I hope untill Euro 2012 it will change. And one more thing, diesel price at the material was 4.34 z? but now is much cheaper around 4 z? for a litre ;)

This episode seemed really short to me. It could be because I missed the first 3 minutes though (late back from the chippy).

I forgot to mention before: the supercar experiment has no scientific value, but it was interesting! Whenever I see an expensive car I think about how many people would go out of their way to look at it and/or take pictures.

it was ok show, mayby lil' bit borig.
I liked the Unimog part, because i have driven an older model in the army. Fun to drive.:cool:

Good driving from Tiff, he drove like a maniac:)

Did anybody notice when Tom and Vicky were sitting in the Daihatsu and Tom said to Vicky about the legroom ''I have 4 or 5 inches behind of you'' and then the camera showed Vickys:blink: face.
:lol: :roflmao:

Did anybody notice when Tom and Vicky were sitting in the Daihatsu and Tom said to Vicky about the legroom ''I have 4 or 5 inches behind of you'' and then the camera showed Vickys:blink: face.
:lol: :roflmao:
I just came on here to mention that! That was hilarious! :lol: