Bernie Ecclestone??! why?

justvisiting

Car(s)
e46 bmw
Is it just me or is Bernie a horrible little greedy miser. This may sound horrible, but every time I read about something he does, thats what I think.

Ok, so he opened up F1 with the whole television rights thing (taking 25% of earnings with him) and made it what it is today by owning all the companies associated with it- and surprisingly everyone wants him to run everything. But he seems so concentrated on getting money- he should be concentrating on progressing the sport and keeping with its history. All i see him do is say NO you cant have a grand prix in your country despite the fact that you have a long history in grand prix racing, because I can find a new up and coming country who can pay me (my companies) more. Then he goes to make all these night races ( which seem like a fine idea) but primarily so that he can increase television revenues.

Also whats with the constant creation of umbrella corporations and his transferring of his shares, and reclaiming of them. FOCA, SLEC, SpeedInvestments, F1 Group and its subsidiaries..etc.

Anyone willing to set the record straight? Its confusing the crud out of me.

" But Ecclestone has reiterated that unless the BDRC are willing to pay the going rate to stage the grand prix, any improvements would count for nothing.
"Assume the facilities are built and we like it. The next problem is the commercial agreement for us to be there," Ecclestone said in The Daily Telegraph. "- PF1
There are a ton more quotes I can grab that annoy me, but you probably already know.

Well aren't we all "horrible little greedy misers"? That's theway the human personality goes. We always want more and more.

But Bernard Charles Ecclestidiot is a pathological case of knowing too much about business and haggling, this resulting in an infinite appetite and an addiction to the things known as MONEY.

Not if you are already worth billions, once you hit that mark, its a case of "whats the point?" which leads me to wonder if he think the direction hes taking the sport is conducive to its continued position as the pinnacle of motorsport. it looks to me like its moving away from the sporting passion and heritage that has made it so popular in the past; with spy scandals, fines, disputes over contracts, etc. I'm completely fine with all the new regulations set by the FIA for the lowering of costs to increase racing, and implementing new technologies that will benefit the consumer markets-- thats all in the betterment of the sport. But all much time, energy, and threats are thrown about at all the other stuff isnt necessary, and Mr. Ecclestones constant bickering regarding circuit viability and costs dont help anything. If the teams are fine with racing there, the drivers feel that its safe, and the race benefits the country in which it is hosted, then he should try to work it out.

Ok, Bernie may come across as a money-grabbing bastard, but what he has done for the sport is amazing.

He has turned it from gentleman racers to a proper televised world championship. Some of the things he does are questionable, but Bernie is Bernie and he is keeping the sport going strong.

That is why I like Bernie.

Is it just me or is Bernie a horrible little greedy miser. This may sound horrible, but every time I read about something he does, thats what I think.

Ok, so he opened up F1 with the whole television rights thing (taking 25% of earnings with him) and made it what it is today by owning all the companies associated with it- and surprisingly everyone wants him to run everything. But he seems so concentrated on getting money- he should be concentrating on progressing the sport and keeping with its history. All i see him do is say NO you cant have a grand prix in your country despite the fact that you have a long history in grand prix racing, because I can find a new up and coming country who can pay me (my companies) more. Then he goes to make all these night races ( which seem like a fine idea) but primarily so that he can increase television revenues.

Also whats with the constant creation of umbrella corporations and his transferring of his shares, and reclaiming of them. FOCA, SLEC, SpeedInvestments, F1 Group and its subsidiaries..etc.

Anyone willing to set the record straight? Its confusing the crud out of me.

" But Ecclestone has reiterated that unless the BDRC are willing to pay the going rate to stage the grand prix, any improvements would count for nothing.
"Assume the facilities are built and we like it. The next problem is the commercial agreement for us to be there," Ecclestone said in The Daily Telegraph. "- PF1
There are a ton more quotes I can grab that annoy me, but you probably already know.
It's business. Business is never "fair".
Ok, Bernie may come across as a money-grabbing bastard, but what he has done for the sport is amazing.

He has turned it from gentleman racers to a proper televised world championship. Some of the things he does are questionable, but Bernie is Bernie and he is keeping the sport going strong.

That is why I like Bernie.

He and Max allso sucked the sportyness out of it. It's more about money and glamour these days. And it sucks. :| Still it might get better after these old basterds die away. I hope. ^_^ Or who knows maybe they will give the sport more sportyness and less POLITICAL BULLSHIT.
Still F1 would not be where it is if it didn't have one clear leader.

Last edited:
^ No, Max sucked all the sportyness out of F1. However, Bernie still controls the sport and could influence the future if he wanted too.

Agreed, Max Mosley's second term as FIA president is the worst thing that has ever happened to F1

^ No, Max sucked all the sportyness out of F1. However, Bernie still controls the sport and could influence the future if he wanted too.

If Uncle Benie would have wanted and/or could have stopped MadMax from going bonkers, why didn't he do it? Face it they both failed.

he is obscenely rich....

and

wealth breeds wealth..... i think any successful business man just wants to make more money than he did last year. doesnt really matter how, just so long as he does.

i do agree though that some people just have too much money, i mean ok its theirs fair (maybe) and square but honestly what is one to do with a couple of billion ??? except maybe invest in a company and make some more billions.... you'd just never get round to spending it all. but you'd have a hell of a good time trying

Last edited:
I'm so glad that Seattle has obnoxiously rich, yet cool people. Paul Allen built us the SLUT. Although I've never got to ride the SLUT :(

Oh, and Bernie can go f*rk himself. And take Max with him :angry:

I can't seems to remember anything particularly bad Bernie has done over the years, apart from all the money he received that didn't get shared with me~!!!:mad:

I personally thinks it's Mad Max that dished out all the stupid ideas, and you know, if less people are interested in F1, it'd hurt Bernie's pocket too... so ideally he wouldn't really want that to happen would he~?

as for the tactics he used in negotiating contracts and stuff, well that's just normal business...

I'm confused now. Who is really to blame for me not giving a monkey's about F1 any more? Max Mosley for changing the rules so that the only passing maneuvers occur in the pit lane? Or, Bernie for turning a sport and sportsmanship into a business and commodity? :mad:

Or, is it Murray Walker ... for retiring?

Whoever it is, it is just tedious and repulsive now. Mores the pity. :(