The Grand Unified Top Gear Australia Audition Video Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol ... maybe they are all Poles (or Belgians)?

I didn't know that the Maloo was available in Poland (or Belgium) ...

"There are two kinds of people in the world...

...Holden drivers and everybody else."

Guess you can take that line whichever way you want!

:lol:

I gotta say, I'm flattered that people have taken the time to bag my video out. I think it's a good sign.

I think you're being a little harsh on Holden there, GerFix.

Once you convert Australian dollars to USD, the cost of the base V6 for them is about the same as it is for us. I can see how their V8 is thousands cheaper, but then again that engine's made in America, isn't it? No doubt they're doing a bit of loss-leading to get into the US market (like they did with the Monaro/GTO) but I don't see where you got a difference of $20,000.

The American comments underneath the article show a lot of enthusiasm toward this car. Compared to the GM products they're used to, Holden Commodores look like (ducking) BMW's! You are right that every car buyer in Australia pays a surcharge to prop up our local industry, but I personally think it's one that is worth paying.

Then again, I drive a Holden, so there's people like me... and everybody else. ;)

Last edited:
I think you're being a little harsh on Holden there, GerFix.

I don't think it's unreasonable to question General Motors global pricing structure.

Once you convert Australian dollars to USD, the cost of the base V6 for them is about the same as it is for us. I can see how their V8 is thousands cheaper, but then again that engine's made in America, isn't it? No doubt they're doing a bit of loss-leading to get into the US market (like they did with the Monaro/GTO) but I don't see where you got a difference of $20,000.

The Pontiac G8 is priced at USD$ 30,000. With an exchange rate of USD$ 0.89 to AUD$ 1.00, that would mean the US are paying AUD$ 33,000.

The Commodore SS V (V8) is AUD$ 53,000 here. Hence the $20,000 difference.

The American comments underneath the article show a lot of enthusiasm toward this car. Compared to the GM products they're used to, Holden Commodores look like (ducking) BMW's! You are right that every car buyer in Australia pays a surcharge to prop up our local industry, but I personally think it's one that is worth paying.

Then again, I drive a Holden, so there's people like me... and everybody else. ;)

I was driving down a dark street in Crows Nest the other night and went past a parked car with silver side gills and big flared front guards. I thought it was another M3. Not having seen any others on the road yet, I excitedly turned around and went back for a look ..... it was a Commodore :(

Holden vs. BMW

Holden vs. BMW

Here was Holden vs. BMW 20 years ago, when a V8 Commodore driven by Peter Brock went up against a BMW M3 driven by Jim Richards at Symmonds Plains. And what a tight dogfight it was:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nuRgzaJ-q8[/YOUTUBE]

Sure, the Holden actually loses in the clip, but according to one comment over on YouTube: "Brocky made an error before that corner, he later took back the lead from the BMW as easily as he was doing in the initial part of that film. The BMW broke down and didn't even finish the race." :bmwpoo:

Here was Holden vs. BMW 20 years ago, when a V8 Commodore driven by Peter Brock went up against a BMW M3 driven by Jim Richards at Symmonds Plains. And what a tight dogfight it was:

Sure, the Holden actually loses in the clip, but according to one comment over on YouTube: "Brocky made an error before that corner, he later took back the lead from the BMW as easily as he was doing in the initial part of that film. The BMW broke down and didn't even finish the race." :bmwpoo:

Now that is how motor racing should be. Different cars with different strengths and weaknesses up against each other. The M3 was doing rather well, given it's engine is less than half the size of the Commodore. The V8 Supercars series we have now holds no interest for me, knowing what it replaced. It's a pity Holden and Ford don't like competition. :(

V8 Supercars is the america's cup from the american's perpsective ... powers that be didn't like loosing, so they changed the rules ... well its their ball, they can do what they like ... for my money ... you never seen a line up like the VHRR races ... classic mustangs, GT40's, renaults and real mini coopers, bless their hearts.

Got my letter today ... it read ... don't tell anyone but Paul Khoury is a wanker.

I've heard nothing, nada, zilch, not a word, not even a letter of comfirmation ...

But there is word on the street of the following line up ...

Ray Martin
John Burns
Paul Khoury

... remember you heard it here first.

no news is good news...seeing that no one here has heard anything yet...It almost feels like Charlie and Chocolate Factory....who is going to find the golden ticket to have a chance at driving exotic cars all day?!?

^ Ray Martin?? RAY F#@KING MARTIN?!?!?

<head explodes>

Ray Martin could be good. I think it would be quite amusing to see him opening the door on a Porsche GT3 RS saying ... "If this car was a woman, it certainly wouldn't let me inside."

Yep ... saw Ray coming out of the Freehand building this afternoon ... can't wait for the ABC to get the rights to reproduce Fifth Gear ... we'll have George Negus behind the wheel ... supported by Noni Hazelhurst and that guy with the STUPID accent, from Gardening Australia ... "oooh this corolla is just the ticket for getting my radishes to the market, hopefully no one will try and shove them up my ARRRRRRSE while I'm there" ...

... did any of you really think SBS were serious about a previously unknown person hosting the show? sounded to good to be true?

:mad:

I'm not buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.