Saving e-mails and folders in Outlook Express 6?

avanti

Forum Addict
Car(s)
5 cars + 8 motorcycles
A friend of mine wants to format her laptop, but she has 5 years worth of e-mails in outlook express, these mails are only stored on the computer, not on any online server.

So, how do I save/export these mails and folders so that she can import it again afterwards and it will look and feel just like before...?

As far as I can see the only option is to "Export to MS Outlook and MS Exchange"..

If I mess it up she will surly kill me...
argh.gif

The very first GOOGLE!!! hit on outlook express export suggested checking the folder under options -> maintenance > folder
Jut save that, re - import it by putting it anywhere on the new install and directing the above menu via "change" to where you saved it.

<3 GMail :p

I am being completely honest here- I have never, ever come across anyone who used Outlook Express.

IMAP Gmail = Win

Yeah, I check my GMail-powered viper007bond.com e-mail on my iPod via IMAP.

I am being completely honest here- I have never, ever come across anyone who used Outlook Express.

That's because it's a pile of junk. Regular Outlook isn't too bad if you're forced to use it at work, but I dunno why you'd want to use it by choice.

Install Outlook on her PC, export from Outlook Express to Outlook and then save it as a PST file.

I recently uploaded all my old email from Outlook to Gmail through IMAP, dates and attachments intact, going back to 2000. It's awesome.

^ I'm not quite sure as I've never used Outlook Express, but I think it has an import/export option under the file menu. Or you could just have her use Outlook on her new computer, it's a much better program and it can import/export a multitude of files.

I just found this plugin for Thunderbird which will import the Microsoft PST format into Thunderbird. Thunderbird uses an open format so if you go this route in the future she will find it much easier transferring her emails around.

But this is exactly why I use Gmail... Outlook has much more features but with a web-based service you don't need to archive your emails yourself.

Last edited:
Be aware that OE's import/export function sometimes doesn't work properly. What I used to do when I had to migrate a user's OE's mails to a new computer was simply copy the mail folder (you can find which one it is in OE, Options->Manteinance, there is a button there). You simply take that folder and copy it to the same location in the new computer and you're all set. It's much less risky and, specially, much faster when the user has like 1GB of mail, mostly useless, but that he/she can't be bothered to delete because there may be something awfully important from three years ago that he/she may need one day in the future :rolleyes:.

^ That is exactly what I said in the first reply to the topic, man...