Kosovo. Can it be an example for other separationists?

I wonder when they'll accept it's happened and no amount of rioting is going to change it

You Eastern Europeans can never seem to get along.

[/overgeneralization]

They found a body in the American embassy, believed to be a protestor. :( Don't f*cking burn buildings people, it will kill someone.

They found a body in the American embassy, believed to be a protestor. :( Don't f*cking burn buildings people, it will kill someone.

Noooo, don't burn them, just lob a cruise missile into them from a B-2 and say "oopsie" afterwards [oblique reference to accidental bombing of Chinese embassy in 1999 air campaign against Yugoslavia].

And Kosovo was headed to independence ever since the end of the 1999 skirmish, what with a bunch of friendly NATO troops guaranteeing Serbian non-interference. I fail to see any other ethnic enclaves that have such a powerful force backing their independence movements.

i expected the serbian riot police to be more hardcore than they appeared to be on cnn. for one thing, they took forever to respond. considering the protest was announced well ahead of time, i would expect belgrade to have posted a number of police officers in the vicinity to atleast deter any violence. and when the antagonizers begin to incite a riot, i would expect to police to intervene immediately.

having lived in seoul, south korea for a few years when i was younger, i've been right in the middle of several riots at hannam village (u.s. military housing). i gotta say, the american soldiers did a fine job of protecting us. however, they've got nothing on the korean police and military when it comes to not taking any shit. those dudes know how to end a riot real quick.

i am very glad the u.s. embassy was closed for the week in anticipation of the protest. otherwise, i'm pretty sure u.s. marines would've fucked up some protestors. needless to say, only the americans would be found to be at fault in such an event; thereby only serving to inflame the anti-american sentiments around the world.

I wonder when they'll accept it's happened and no amount of rioting is going to change it
It never makes any sense to me either.

i am very glad the u.s. embassy was closed for the week in anticipation of the protest. otherwise, i'm pretty sure u.s. marines would've fucked up some protestors. needless to say, only the americans would be found to be at fault in such an event; thereby only serving to inflame the anti-american sentiments around the world.
Undoubtedly that would be the conclusion. But then again, when you let Marines do what they're trained to do, people tend to get pissed off. If they survive dealing with Marines, that is.

Rioting won't change any thing but war will. I suggest you read up on the history of Kosovo to see why Serbia is pissed.

Rioting won't change any thing but war will. I suggest you read up on the history of Kosovo to see why Serbia is pissed.

I'm aware of the history of these countries but they're not fighting a war anymore, they're rioting and senselessly causing damage.

i expected the serbian riot police to be more hardcore than they appeared to be on cnn. for one thing, they took forever to respond. considering the protest was announced well ahead of time, i would expect belgrade to have posted a number of police officers in the vicinity to atleast deter any violence. and when the antagonizers begin to incite a riot, i would expect to police to intervene immediately.

having lived in seoul, south korea for a few years when i was younger, i've been right in the middle of several riots at hannam village (u.s. military housing). i gotta say, the american soldiers did a fine job of protecting us. however, they've got nothing on the korean police and military when it comes to not taking any shit. those dudes know how to end a riot real quick.

I am pretty sure they were told not to intrefere since all big political figures and celebrities were speaking there like Ko?tunica - the prime minister, Emil Kosturica, Dejan Bodiroga - basketball player and Novak ?okovi? (over telephone)

Of course they let everything happened and interfered as little as possible. They're serbs themselves, afterall.

I'm aware of the history of these countries but they're not fighting a war anymore, they're rioting and senselessly causing damage.

They are not fighting a war for now.

Would I be correct in guessing that you're originally from the region?

You would be.
Anyway, according to serbia newspapers they have sent tanks down to the border in preparation.