Words or phrases that have been twisted over the years.

Retarded. Once used to describe someone with a mental condition or describing a relatively slower motion. Now used as an adjective substitute for "stupid", "dumb" or one of the new meanings of "gay".

Hell, the word "dumb" used to only refer to a mute person, it's interesting to see how pervasive its "stupid" meaning has prevailed today.

Spanish and Portuguese, while derivatives, are not Latin. Yet everything/everyone South of The US are considered "Latin".

Latin should only refer to the language and those born in Latium.

"I could care less"

Pet bugbear of mine. Yes, I know, it's a US/UK English difference, but if you stopped for a moment and thought about what you are saying...

"your" used as a verb

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Could you give an example please?

Also Spastic.

Yes. It was originally due to the "National Spastics Society", a charity. Then the word became a generic insult, so the charity changed it's name to Scope.

And so now "Scoper" is apparently a new insult in the playgrounds.

Crunk

According to the dictionary it originally meant "To cry like a crane". But now it means "To dance like an idiot".

Tight

Stopped meaning "not loose" and started meaning "cool"

Word

Changed from meaning "components of a sentence" or "utterance" to "piece of shit software"

Word

Changed from meaning "components of a sentence" or "utterance" to "piece of shit software"

You forgot the all-too-common use of "word" as an exclamation of agreement.

Reading a thread like this reminds me of Eats, Shoots, and Leaves...

Last edited:
Word is so 20th century though. Now we use a much cooler expression. Space word!

lol that isn't what crunk means, my friend.

:p I know what crunk means man, but I didn't want a serious new definition for it ;)

Crank Shank...My term for DSM's (eclipses, lasers, and talons notorious for severe crank walk)

I asked someone about the phrase I am going to mention in a topic awhile back. It seems that on the internet people are putting "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" which is very weird considering only 3 more characters are required to make it make more sense.

I asked someone about the phrase I am going to mention in a topic awhile back. It seems that on the internet people are putting "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" which is very weird considering only 3 more characters are required to make it make more sense.

It's an Americanism.

And, as we know, America is the internet, which is why you've been seeing it more.

Crap, now I need to think up some punchline as to why America is (or resembles) the internet, in case someone pulls me up on this

Crap, now I need to think up some punchline as to why America is (or resembles) the internet, in case someone pulls me up on this

America, like the Internet, is a bunch of tubes, only these ones go straight into people's stomachs? I hath nill.

Watching macgyver, just remembered one. The phrase "something terrible" or "something awful" used as an adjective or adverb. For instance: "I miss you something awful." That's just plain wrong, period.

This one only applies to the US yet it's still noteworthy.

Liberal/Liberals

Broadly speaking, liberalism emphasizes individual rights and equality of opportunity. Different forms of liberalism may propose very different policies, but they are generally united by their support for a number of principles, including extensive freedom of thought and speech, limitations on the power of governments, the rule of law, the free exchange of ideas, a market or mixed economy
New meaning

Since approximately the Reagan era, the word liberal has been [..] used as a derogatory term
Used as a word to slander those whose political views you disagree with. A coward, a fool. Someone to not trust in political matters.

To me as a European the usage as a derogatory term seems somehow schizophrenic. Especially since liberalism includes plenty of traditional Conservative values.

This one only applies to the US yet it's still noteworthy.

Liberal/Liberals

New meaning

Used as a word to slander those whose political views you disagree with. A coward, a fool. Someone to not trust in political matters.

To me as a European the usage as a derogatory term seems somehow schizophrenic. Especially since liberalism includes plenty of traditional Conservative values.

Both Conservatives and Liberals in the US are essentially Classical Liberals, and espouse those virtues (the US was founded by Enlightenment Era thinkers).

I might note that the term liberal originally meant giving generously (such as I drank a liberal amount of wine).